Main Menu

Go bags

Started by maverik, December 28, 2008, 02:51:49 AM

maverik

Been looking into this and I was wondering if anyone on here has a go bag. If so how did you set it up? What supplies are in it? Where do you keep it?
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

IceNine

Got all kinds of them.  Can you be specific as to what function you want this to serve?  i.e.- Communications, ELT search, Mission Base, etc.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

maverik

well I mainly to comms and GT stuff but can you break it down for me what the go bag actually is and uses withing CAP. (oh I also do all my units medical stuff)
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

Eclipse

I couldn't find the old thread on this, and since I just updated and repacked everything, I was meaning to do a post on CAP Gear, but here's what's in my go cases:

Ground / SAR Gear

Standard L-Per
ProFind DF500

SARMed Style vest (used for 75%+ of missions)
Blackhawk Tactical vest  w/ Leg Medbag
(Full 24 hour / UDF gear between the two)

750 Watt inverter
One (1) EFJ HT Radio
Two (2) VX-150 Radios
Three (3) ISR Radios
     (Chargers, batteries, etc., for above
     Accessories for above (earpieces, hand mikes, etc.)

GT manuals, forms, etc.
Digital Camera
Binoculars

Toiletry kit for those 1-dayers that turn into 2.

Rest of 72 hour gear would be in a CFP-90 backpack when I need it (rarely).

"That Others May Zoom"

maverik

that helps out alot I'm just trying to think what to put in my go bags for comms, and medical hmmm.....
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT

Eclipse

Base Gear

In addition to my field equipment, I usually expect to be tasked with GBD duties or similar, to that end, I have this setup:

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Base Comms

To support mission base comms, we roll with this:

Which is an EFJ mobile radio mounted in an ammunition carrier with a gel-cel battery.
Gives us a couple hours of radio use when full charged, plus runs off of 12 volt or standard
radio power supply.

Antenna is a 10' tripod mast with 50' of coax.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pumbaa

Just so you know acetone will take the markings off of the PVC pipe.  I always hated seeing a great looking PVC project and still have the old markings on it.

Eclipse

Quote from: Pumbaa on December 28, 2008, 03:37:55 AM
Just so you know acetone will take the markings off of the PVC pipe.  I always hated seeing a great looking PVC project and still have the old markings on it.

Cool, I'll try that - I've had requests for more of these and I agree, the marking detracts from the look.

"That Others May Zoom"

maverik

so for my comms go bag I'll have, my radio (working on getting one), Atennas, needed accesories, batteries, oh yeah and playing cards and snacks (I hate getting stuck in a comms booth all day with nothing to eat or play with lol), note pad, 3 writing utensils, and any forms including equipment sign out sheets.

for medical I have no clue.

and for ground team go gear I have my equipment (all MOLLE so it is all together) along with any wanted accesories.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT

IceNine

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=2435.0
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=4163.0
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=2435.0
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=5240.0

Here are a few really good threads to read.  Start there let us know if you have other questions,  There are quite a few more threads of this sort in the "Tools of the trade" section.

Happy Hunting

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

maverik

okay actually I have a question anyone know of a good but cheap portable, mobile, etc some kind of radio that is CAP approved.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT

Duke Dillio

I bought a Kenwood TK-730 off of eBay.  It's a pretty good radio but you gotta make sure it's the NTIA compliant one.  I think I got mine for abut 200 bucks from Canada, eh.  It has a remote head which mounted really nice under the dash.  The main unit is in the trunk.

IceNine

The programmed response should be

Ask your Wing Director of Communications.  Chances are if you have a need for a radio that there is one that can be assigned to you.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: Sqn72DO on December 28, 2008, 04:40:57 AM
I bought a Kenwood TK-730 off of eBay.  It's a pretty good radio but you gotta make sure it's the NTIA compliant one.  I think I got mine for abut 200 bucks from Canada, eh.  It has a remote head which mounted really nice under the dash.  The main unit is in the trunk.

If you're interested, I found the mod chip to expand the channel capacity, only $5 plus S/H.  I have the same radio and I ran out of room pretty quick when I went outside of my CAP programming.
eBay linky

brasda91

Eclipse,

What is the box you are using?  I have been debating on what to use for my "go bag" and I like that box.  Can you give us the specifics on it?  Price, manufacture, size, etc.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

Eclipse

The containers are made by Hardigg, a big military shipping supplier:  http://hardigg.com/ and after checking their website today, I have my eye on one of those field desks - especially the two seater, but I bet they are MONDO bucks.

The particular ones I have are likely discontinued, however this site looks like they have some:  http://www.sprucemtsurplus.com/, as does eBay.

The one above is (about) 24x18x18, and I also have several 13x14x19. (if you're sizing for an exact fit, be careful as some suppliers don't account for the nesting tabs in their measurements).

A quick check of eBay shows similar cases in the $200 range depending on size.  I used to have my 24 hour gear in the smaller one, which is about the size of the above case minus the lid, but I like being able to keep the DF gear up in the lid.

They are great in that they nest (among like sizes), so they stack well, and can be used as a table in the field.

The ones we have were the providence of one of those situations where one man's trash is another man's treasure.  As you can probably see from the websites or eBay, they aren't cheap, but in my opinion, if it fits your needs they are worth it.

While probably not submersible (this model), they are definitely uber-water-resistant.  They have a rubber seal that sits in a tongue in groove channel, with a small cut near the back for pressure relief.  I added the combo lock to the one with all the radios - its not going to stop a determined thief with a FUBAR, but a casual "borrower" at a mission base isn't going to be rummaging around in there, and as packed, the case is way too heavy to run away with.

I can tell you that anything in this case stays dry, however from experience I can also tell you that fire ants can and did make their way through the channel, though not many of them.

In my case, as you can see, providence being what it is, they fit perfectly in the back of my truck, which is generally where the packed ones stay.  I haven't had any issues with temperature extremes or rain, etc.

The downside, of course, is that they are bulky and heavy.  If you're one like me who generally drives a POV for missions, and/or deploys all over the state for SAREX's, then probably not an issue.  When we went to MS, I had some worries I would have to leave half my gear at home, however once we hooked up the MCP trailer, cargo was a non-issue and I was glad I had them.

Since I have the hard deck lid, I can put four inside and at least another 4 strapped outside. I've rolled up to bivouacs packed like that after having driven 200 miles on the highway.  Another plus is being able to put the boxes on top in a pinch if I have something irregular to carry and the weather is nasty.

I also have a collapsible cart which I use to move them in/out of the ICP, etc.

If you're driving an average-sized regular car, even the small one will dominate the trunk, assuming it fits at all.

"That Others May Zoom"

brasda91

Thanks for the info.  They're bigger than I had imagined them.  I drive an Envoy XUV so I have plenty of cargo room.  I currently don't have a "go bag" with a uniform and any equipment.  I work out by my local airport and if we get an ELT call, I want to have the minimum euipment to stop and do a quick ramp check.  I was thinking these might be what I am looking for.  The cost is more of a factor than size.  I'll check ebay and see what's available.

Thanks.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

IceNine

Action Packers by rubber maid are a reasonable alternative.  You will need more ziplocks but will pay much less.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

brasda91

Quote from: IceNine on December 28, 2008, 10:07:26 PM
Action Packers by rubber maid are a reasonable alternative.  You will need more ziplocks but will pay much less.

Thanks for the info.  I'll add them to the list.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011