Main Menu

Pararescue

Started by ♠SARKID♠, December 06, 2007, 05:56:35 PM

JCW0312

That's really neat SARKID. Thanks for sharing it.
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
Memphis Belle Memorial Squadron
SER-TN-144

♠SARKID♠

^ No prob, glad to inform.

sarmed1

QuoteJumping at Hawk would wind you up in a local jail.  Those guys at the Hawk Mountain Conservation Observatory take thier birds very seriously.  I do beleive there are flight restricts around that area when the Hawks come to mate or do whatever Hawks do each year

No it has happened before during the school, we bring an aeromedical evac helo every year as part of the school.  In fact there have been jumps in a time or two, however the parade field is a tight DZ, you have to be on your game or else you are going into the trees or smack into (onto) the cars in the parking lot.

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Duke Dillio

^MEDIC UP!!!!

Now that would be something I'd want to see with some nachos and some soda....

Smokey

Please Please ....tell me....

why would you want to jump from a perfectly good airplane????

I go up in the plane, I come down in the plane.   Only if it's on fire would I want to leave early!!!

I'm not a willing candidate for the caterpillar club.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Duke Dillio

It's a rush man.  The first time I tried it, I was so nervous about it, I didn't even realize that I was out of the aircraft until my chute opened.  It wasn't until probably my third jump that I panicked a bit causing me to have a REALLY bad landing.  Even with the accident, I still wouldn't mind doing it again.  It has been a little while since I went but I understand there are a couple of places around here that have regular events.  Try not to knock it til you try it.  MWA HA HA...   >:D

Stonewall

Quote from: Smokey on December 10, 2007, 11:49:13 PM

No such thing.
Serving since 1987.

Duke Dillio

^But didn't you say you were going to the dark side there Kirt?  Better make friends with some of those airplanes.  I don't think CAP issues parachutes...

Smokey

As a cop I handled a parachuting accident...it was his 100th jump.  Landed in the front yard of a house....he even bounced.  When I got to the airport to talk to his fellow jumpers, they were annoyed that I was asking them about the dead guy....they had paid for the jumps and still had two to go!!!  And I was delaying them.

I'll stick to aluminium flights if you don't mind.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Stonewall

Even on Sunday when I went flying in our 2006 C-182, there was a glitch in the HUD or whatever the "glass screen" is called on the left side.

I've just never been in an aircraft that didn't seem to have at least one known problem.  I'd hate to learn about the unknown issues I'm not aware of. 
Serving since 1987.

SJFedor

Quote from: Stonewall on December 11, 2007, 12:12:20 AM
Even on Sunday when I went flying in our 2006 C-182, there was a glitch in the HUD or whatever the "glass screen" is called on the left side.

I've just never been in an aircraft that didn't seem to have at least one known problem.  I'd hate to learn about the unknown issues I'm not aware of. 

PFD, primary flight display. I wish we had HUDs though, that'd be sa-weet.

That's why I take a big interest in pre-flights, even if I'm not the pilot. Always good to know the plane you're entrusting your life to. I encourage everyone I fly with, and mandate it from my MO/MS on missions, to fully participate in the walk around and pre-flight. They might see something I don't, and extra eyes never hurt.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

NIN

Quote from: Smokey on December 10, 2007, 11:49:13 PM
Please Please ....tell me....

You haven't seen the planes we jump out of...
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

Since Jimmydeano opened up the floor...

I have two jumps into CAP activities.  In BOTH instances, I was not jumping as a CAP member, but rather as an "interested parachutist providing a community service to CAP."  (you believe that, right?  OK.)

First time was into the Pass & Review ceremony at the end of the 1998 Michigan Wing Summer Encampment in Alpena, MI.  It was made easy by the fact that the PIR is held on the flight line of an ANG base, and the Base Ops/Control Tower folks were so easy going about it I thought it was a trick. The FAA said "On to an airfield?  You have permission? Sweet, we don't care then. Have fun. Bye!"  The hardest part was getting the plane (not secured until 0730 that morning). I left the graduation ceremony about a half hour early, ceremonially signed out of the activity with my boss, the Commandant of Cadets, changed clothes, went down to the civilian hangars, geared up, climbed in to the plane and we were off.   20 minutes later, I was dead centering my target in front of about 300 parents, cadets and DVs.  Even managed to salute the General who was our reviewing officer.

That's me about 5 seconds after touchdown trying to make sure the canopy lands on the top skin.  Once it was collapsed, I gave the general a salute and ran away. :)

The second time was into sort of the "2nd half" of  the class on "aerodynamic decelerators" that I do for AE at the (Help me out here, Smiley) 2002 NH Wing Encampment.  Same thing: Signed out, changed clothes, went to the airfield, got in a plane and wound up landing in front of about 80 cadets and seniors.  Didn't hurt that my commandant spelled out "NO GO" on the ground that became, magically, "GO ON" ...

Sadly, no good photos exist of that one.

Couple notes:

1) It is FAR harder to find a plane & pilot to fly you than it is to get the various permissions.  Trust me, I know.
2) CADETS are prohibited from parachuting as a CAP activity in 52-16. Please find me the chapter and verse prohibiting seniors.   (yes, yes, 60-1 doesn't allow parachute ops from CAP planes. No kidding!)  There is no such prohibition for seniors.
3) The POH imposes a 90kt limitation on the Airvan with the door open.   Why would I know this fact?
4) CAP did have an entire parachute group from 1942 till the early 1950s in Michigan Wing.  2 parachute jumping squadrons, a rigger squadron, and a Negro glider flight. (that's what it said: "Negro glider flight" I don't write the history, I just get to occasionally report it)   That group had its own airfield, too!
5) Sadly, the CAP WWII wings are not authorized anymore.

(that's not to say I don't have a pair "on me" at all times.  And even in the same place that they were worn on the uniform in WWII...)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

Senior

What an interesting thread.   I attended PJOC '91, APJOC '92 at Kirkland
AFB.  They had a smokejumpers (treejumping) suit in the history room of one of the Pararescue School buildings.  The PJ's said they all hated practicing the tree jumps because you always got hurt and beat up.  One of the Air Force Reserve pilots said he had flown SO missions doing tree jumps.  He said they released the jumpers with just enough altitude to open the  chutes, get two or three oscillations and then into the trees.  That really would be a hard landing.  I remember when they had a picture of  CAP Jump Wings in the old CAPNews.  They looked hand made.  The article stated they were from WW2.  It was an interesting article.  I can imagine all the bling that the CAP Parachutists would want to wear.  The HAWK people would of course have to have more bling to wear :-\.  Where would it end.  Also, the not so in shape SM would definitely have to jump and break both legs... Can you say Disability Claim. :'(

nesagsar

My dad was a CAP ranger in Michigan in the 1970's. Back then there wasnt a PJOC or a Hawk Mountain Ranger School.

I have his wings somewhere, if I can find them I will post a pic.

JC004

Quote from: nesagsar on March 28, 2008, 04:41:21 AM
My dad was a CAP ranger in Michigan in the 1970's. Back then there wasnt a PJOC or a Hawk Mountain Ranger School.

I have his wings somewhere, if I can find them I will post a pic.

There was definitely a hawk mountain in the 70s.

NIN

Quote from: JC004 on March 28, 2008, 02:07:00 PM
There was definitely a hawk mountain in the 70s.

Yeah, I think he meant "In the 1970s, before people went places other than their own wing, cuz, you know, it takes forever to get from Michigan to Pennsylvania via wagon train..."

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP