Main Menu

Pararescue

Started by ♠SARKID♠, December 06, 2007, 05:56:35 PM

AC

I would love to try that from a CAP aircraft! Unfortunately, all my parachuting activities in the USAF have left me with 2 artificial knees, screws in my feet, and fused vertebrae w/titanium plates in my neck! I think I would break apart upon landing!  :'(

AC

Terence Maroste      "We're Paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're
Maj, CAP                   supposed to be surrounded."
AEO
SWR-TX-293                  -Captain Richard Winters

mikeylikey

^ How can you get that bad. Wouldn't you stop after an injury of such importance.  If you did drive on through the injuries to get more injuries, you do show great dedication. 
What's up monkeys?

Flying Pig

Im trying to imagine when CAP would ever have the need to jump into an area.   Because once you jump in....you can't jump out.  So, Im thinking in our case, however we get out is probably how we get in.

Im going to put that on a t-shirt.

In SARKIDs defense....I know this thread has completely gone far beyond his question:)

AC

Post traumatic degenerative arthritis set in a few years ago. I did continue jumping after my first broken foot. The doctors wanted to do orthopaedic surgery on it at the time. They told me if they did, I would be taken off jump status forever. So I told them to just cast it. Went back on jump status and made over 200 jumps then. They warned me I would get arthritis when I got to be about 60. They hit it right on the head!
I had all these surgeries in the last 4 years.

AC

Sorry to hijack the thread.

AEO

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

AC

Quote from: Flying Pig on December 07, 2007, 06:08:59 PM
   Because once you jump in....you can't jump out.  So, Im thinking in our case, however we get out is probably how we get in.

Well....check this out!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulton_surface-to-air_recovery_system

I am an AEO!
A few members of my outfit actually went on this ride in testing!

AEO

♠SARKID♠

But it doesn't say anything about CAP senior members jumping from member owned aircraft during non-CAP activities...   >:D

Umm...think about what you just said.  Of course they can.  You can do whatever you want if it isnt a CAP activity...

In SARKIDs defense....I know this thread has completely gone far beyond his question:)

Meh, I got my answer many a post ago.

Stonewall

Quote from: Flying Pig on December 07, 2007, 06:08:59 PMBecause once you jump in....you can't jump out.  So, I'm thinking in our case, however we get out is probably how we get in.

What about Smoke Jumpers?  Not that I'm advocating a CAP jump team or mission, but I'd say a jump SAR team would be relatively equivalent to the smoke jumping mission.  Not that I have any knowledge of either, but....
Serving since 1987.

JCW0312

Quote from: AC on December 07, 2007, 07:50:00 PM
   Because once you jump in....you can't jump out.  So, Im thinking in our case, however we get out is probably how we get in.

Well....check this out!

I am an AEO!

Well since it's not in use anymore, I'm sure we could pick up one for each wing at the local army surplus store. Strap it onto our CAP C-130's and... :D
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
Memphis Belle Memorial Squadron
SER-TN-144

AC

Right! And for Stonewall's answer, we could get some surplus helicopters too! ;)

Of course, if we had helicopters, we wouldn't need the jumpers! That's what happened in Vietnam.

But HALO, now that's another mission. ;)

AEO

floridacyclist

One of my kids already had the bright idea of jumping into Hawk next year (we'll be on our bike ride this Summer)...he's assuming by then, we'll all be jump-qualified, which is a very distinct possibility.

He was talking about hanging our bags below us for the landing until I pointed out that with  modern square gliding chutes, the bag would act more like an arrestor hook than anything and suggested that we simply have the 17yo drive the van in with our gear LOL.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

mikeylikey

Quote from: floridacyclist on December 07, 2007, 09:08:43 PM
One of my kids already had the bright idea of jumping into Hawk next year (we'll be on our bike ride this Summer)...he's assuming by then, we'll all be jump-qualified, which is a very distinct possibility.

He was talking about hanging our bags below us for the landing until I pointed out that with  modern square gliding chutes, the bag would act more like an arrestor hook than anything and suggested that we simply have the 17yo drive the van in with our gear LOL.

Jumping at Hawk would wind you up in a local jail.  Those guys at the Hawk Mountain Conservation Observatory take thier birds very seriously.  I do beleive there are flight restricts around that area when the Hawks come to mate or do whatever Hawks do each year. 
What's up monkeys?

Eclipse

Quote from: floridacyclist on December 07, 2007, 09:08:43 PM
He was talking about hanging our bags below us for the landing...

On the Normandy jump, many individuals stashed all their spare equipment and even their weapons in a British made leg bag as shown above. The bag could be lowered on a 15 foot rope to dangle below the jumper after his parachute opened, so he would be free of the weight of it when landing. However, the vast majority of men who jumped with leg bags in Normandy had them torn-off by the opening shock of their deploying parachutes. The bags and contents sailed off into pitch black Norman air space never to be seen by the original owners again. American Rigger M/Sgt Joe Lanci developed an improved version of the leg bag in time for the Holland jump in September, 1944. photo c/o Dennis Davies.

This daredevil, Dick Knudsen of F/506th jumped into France with a Brit-made leg bag containing his bazooka rocket launcher. When his chute opened, he didn't have time to release the bag before hitting the ground. Upon landing several hundred yards from St Mere Eglise, he broke his pelvis. Knudsen laid unaided in no man's land for several days before being discovered and evacuated. photo c/o Charles Young 439th TCG

Rest of the site here:  http://www.101airborneww2.com/equipment3.html

"That Others May Zoom"

AC

Quote from: Stonewall on December 07, 2007, 08:27:44 PM
What about Smoke Jumpers?  Not that I'm advocating a CAP jump team or mission, but I'd say a jump SAR team would be relatively equivalent to the smoke jumping mission.  Not that I have any knowledge of either, but....

If you anticipate jumping into trees, you need this..

The suit has a strap that runs from the feet and across your crotch. Helps if you wind up straddling a branch! ;)
Pictured are two members of my team in the USAF.

AEO

♠SARKID♠

QuoteUpon landing several hundred yards from St Mere Eglise, he broke his pelvis.

St. Mere Eqlise is nice, I've been there.  This knudsen fellow had it much better than John Steele.  His parachute got caught on the church steeple and he had to play dead for hours.  The Germans were still holding the town and as they went to collect the bodies he "came back to life" and scared the begeezus out of a couple soldaten.  He was detained but rescued when the allies took St. Mere Eglise a short while later.  Theres a replica of Steele hanging on the steeple, and inside the church is a stained glass window of the Virgin Mary with paratroopers coming down around her.

AC

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on December 08, 2007, 07:37:24 AM
  Theres a replica of Steele hanging on the steeple, and inside the church is a stained glass window of the Virgin Mary with paratroopers coming down around her.

Really? That is cool! Your pic doesn't show.

AEO

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: AC on December 08, 2007, 07:52:49 AM
Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on December 08, 2007, 07:37:24 AM
  Theres a replica of Steele hanging on the steeple, and inside the church is a stained glass window of the Virgin Mary with paratroopers coming down around her.

Really? That is cool! Your pic doesn't show.

http://www.taphilo.com/photo/pictures/ST-Mere-eglise.JPG
http://www.eriding.net/media/photos/warfare/smegl/050711_cbrown_mp_his_sm2371.jpg

AC

Thanks for the link. That is so cool! You can still see the bullet pock marks in the church!

AC

AEO

Flying Pig

Quote from: AC on December 07, 2007, 07:50:00 PM

Well....check this out!

I am an AEO!

Ahhhhh!!  After I posted that, I knew someone was going to bring that up!!!

On a side note.....My grandfather jumped into St. Mere Eglise.  Never really talked about it though.

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: AC on December 08, 2007, 08:02:46 AM
Thanks for the link. That is so cool! You can still see the bullet pock marks in the church!

AC

Yup, they're all over the place.  If you took a pair of pliers, you could actually pull the bullets from the walls.