Capstone in Emergency Management

Started by James Shaw, September 09, 2019, 08:48:48 PM

James Shaw

I will be teaching a new class during the next term (October 2019). EMG4900 Capstone in Emergency Management.

We are given the direction to write our own Discussion Board topics for the class.

My intent is to write one that "sums up" the overall role and effectiveness of volunteers and acceptance when dealing with Governmental Agencies.

What is the first thing that comes to mind when you read the question below?

*What are the practical applications of volunteer experience in Emergency Management ( A review of VOAD participation and impacts) specific to third party acceptance of VOAD when dealing with Governmental Agencies?*
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

heliodoc

What was the outcome of your discussion board?

James Shaw

Quote from: heliodoc on December 07, 2021, 11:15:54 PMWhat was the outcome of your discussion board?

These are the comments from my previous Term.
Not directly quoted.

1) A high number of people involved in Training/Qualification Emergency Response events were limited to standby due to "time" needed to get approvals from parent VOADs (mainly legal stuff that hindered actual participation for organizational fear of liability).

2) Training/qualification opportunities are limited in the last 18 months and about 48% of the folks said they did not plan to continue/participate as it was not cost effective to try and maintain qualifications/certifications needed.

3) About 80% stated they had "stuck with it" for the first 12 months of the COVID outbreak but that the organizations were not truly supporting them unless they were "Directly" involved in COVID19 response and were not thanked/recognized for their efforts unless they were a Medical Professional. There was a mention of several online "virtual grip/grin moments" thanking others for their support but skipping the "indirect personnel".

4) State run programs like State Defense Forces had an easier/faster mobilization opportunity and chance to participate.

5) Several mentioned they were not able to "fill the role" as a VOAD participant but did so through their parent organization due to the "wannabe culture" as one specifically stated opinion from a Command Center.

6) A couple of specific State Defense Forces were noted to be "Great Participants": Michigan and California had some really good compliments. A couple were also noted to look good on paper and they were East Coast Groups that "won't return calls or emails".

These are the comments from a current term: paraphrased

1) One current CAP member (they identified themselves as such) from the West Coast area that voiced they were burn out on changing "Phases" and the lack of in-person meetings. They understood why but still annoyed about it. The same person also complimented the National Commander for authorizing the COVID Crisis Service Ribbon but also added they were annoyed that "everyone" got it when they didn't do anything. "The last line was "If everyone gets that participation medal is it worth as much?" end paraphrase

2) The best so far in this group has been "The New York State Guard" Commander for my unit called me personally to thank me for my continued support. I have completed a large list of PD requirements and other courses and I have received all the Certificates I would have received in person.

3) One Coast Guard Aux Member "wondered" if the USCGA was going to do something similar to CAP and the Crisis Service Ribbon but they had been "supported" when support was needed and given the opportunity to Support their home State.

These are the more specific responses, there are many that are very general and a few that were very demeaning towards VOAD's from Full-time Responders.

My participation in CAP, CGA, or State Defense Forces is noted in my Professor info but not openly discussed in the DB's as it has no bearing on their opinions.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current