"Warning" towns about CAP exercises

Started by RiverAux, March 21, 2010, 09:31:20 PM

davidsinn

Quote from: tdepp on March 23, 2010, 12:51:08 PM
Quote from: Rotorhead on March 23, 2010, 12:20:00 PM

Whose idea was it that seeing Cessnas might worry the populace?
Rotor:
See the recent incident in Austin, TX where the crazy guy flew his light plane into the IRS office. 
Maybe we're overstating the concerns here.  But in the post-911 world, we all know that aircraft, including GA A/C like our Cessnas, can be used as a weapon by terrorists or nutjobs.  And there's certainly no harm in sending the local media a release that says we'll be flying in their area.

I can make a much bigger and more effective weapon with some common chemicals and a small truck. People need to calm down and quit freaking out over stupid things.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Rotorhead

Rotor:
See the recent incident in Austin, TX where the crazy guy flew his light plane into the IRS office. 
Maybe we're overstating the concerns here.  But in the post-911 world, we all know that aircraft, including GA A/C like our Cessnas, can be used as a weapon by terrorists or nutjobs.  And there's certainly no harm in sending the local media a release that says we'll be flying in their area.

So can bright yellow Ryder trucks. (Do we need to send out a press release before renting one of those in Oklahoma City?)

When we're afraid of absolutely everything, the terrorist have done their job.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

tdepp

Quote from: Rotorhead on March 24, 2010, 12:37:04 AM

Rotor:

So can bright yellow Ryder trucks. (Do we need to send out a press release before renting one of those in Oklahoma City?)

When we're afraid of absolutely everything, the terrorist have done their job.
But yet the public does freak out.  Hence, a 200 word press release that can help keep people calm. We're in the people pleasin' business.
Todd D. Epp, LL.M., Capt, CAP
Sioux Falls Composite Squadron Deputy Commander for Seniors
SD Wing Public Affairs Officer
Wing website: http://sdcap.us    Squadron website: http://www.siouxfallscap.com
Author of "This Day in Civil Air Patrol History" @ http://caphistory.blogspot.com

Short Field

Quote from: Rotorhead on March 24, 2010, 12:37:04 AM

Nope, but if you plan on leaving a few of them parked around any of the downtown buildings and then just walking off, you might want to be wearing kevlar.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

RADIOMAN015

This is public relations at it's best!!!   You tell the public not to worry and who you are and what you are training for.  Surely the warning is the "hook" to get potentially more news coverage than you might get anyways.   
RM

lordmonar

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on March 24, 2010, 10:02:58 PM
This is public relations at it's best!!!   You tell the public not to worry and who you are and what you are training for.  Surely the warning is the "hook" to get potentially more news coverage than you might get anyways.   
RM
Absolutely!

It is not a cry for "Look at us we fly planes!" or "We really need the help!".....it is simple......"we are training to do out part to serve our community, state and nation.....if you see us don worry, we're the good guys".

Stops unnecessary phone calls to the cops and FAA about suspicious activities, puts the word out that there is a CAP unit near by....and allows the media guys to spin the press release enough to give is some pizazz for broadcast.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

I suppose that if CAP were flying its planes over populated areas at crazy low altitudes I would tend to agree with you.  But since we're generally at 1000' AGL I just don't anticipate anyone getting all freaked out about us. 

lordmonar

Quote from: RiverAux on March 24, 2010, 10:56:32 PM
I suppose that if CAP were flying its planes over populated areas at crazy low altitudes I would tend to agree with you.  But since we're generally at 1000' AGL I just don't anticipate anyone getting all freaked out about us.
Never said that they would... ;D

Smithsonia

We routinely use a water treatment plant, power plant, and dam as photo targets during SAREXs with 6-12 different sorties circling those targets. I imagine the neighbors and industrial personnel are INTERESTED, even if they aren't frightened. So we try to call everybody and let them know.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

wuzafuzz

I see the whole thing as an opportunity to talk about CAP in the press.  As long as coverage isn't about criminals or weirdos in CAP uniforms it's all good.  Well, for the most part.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Rotorhead

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on March 24, 2010, 10:02:58 PM
This is public relations at it's best!!! 
I think we have different definitions of "best."
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

Spaceman3750

Quote from: RiverAux on March 24, 2010, 10:56:32 PM

I think that to people who aren't familiar with GA (the ones doing the calling), 1000 AGL is crazy low...

RiverAux

Now, I'm not expecting anyone here to have this info, but I would be interested in some evidence that CAP airplanes performing a normal SAREX have totally freaked a ton of people out.  If this happened regularly, then "warning" people about CAP exercises would probably be a wise thing.  But, I've been in CAP for a long time and never heard of a single incident. 

lordmonar

"Wise" is an intresting choice of words.

Is it not a "wise" saying...."an ounce of prevention is greater then a pound of cure"?

The other side of the coin of course is....what are the drawback, liablities, or potential pit falls of Early Warnings?

Do the cost/beniftis, Pro/Con analysis on it.

Good:
It prevents any unnecessary panic----or at least reduces it....people will panic if they want to?
It provides a cheap PSA plug that CAP is here and CAP is training?
It provides a training opportunity for MIOs?

Bad:
OPSEC issues
Looking like posers?
Inducing fear or panic by people who would otherwise never had bothered to look up in the sky?

Six of one, half dozen of the other.