Main Menu

Why Velcro?

Started by N6RVT, February 25, 2019, 03:46:02 PM

N6RVT

We sew patches on BDU.  Yet a lot of people I know use Velcro when it comes to flight suits, and when you buy the command patch from Vanguard, it has the Velcro on it already.

Its ok to wash a patch on a BDU - but not OK to wash the same patch if its sewn to Nomex?

The only Velcro I use is for the flight badge itself as that WILL deteriorate if washed.  I honestly do not understand why its so popular.

Eclipse

Washing a leather nametag is a great way to have a blank piece of black leather.

Velcro is optional for all other patches in CAP, however CAP members generally purchase
flight suits from the same manufacturers as the military, and they have velcro in order to
sanitize their uniforms if their are forced to land or crash in enemy territory.

You can sew on your patches if you like, and are required to sew on your grade, plastic or otherwise.

"That Others May Zoom"

N6RVT

Quote from: Eclipse on February 25, 2019, 03:53:33 PM
CAP members generally purchase flight suits from the same manufacturers as the military, and they have velcro in order to
sanitize their uniforms if their are forced to land or crash in enemy territory.

I remember joking about that at Mather AFB back in the day - however now with patches being standardized as to shape and size, it might actually work.

I just got promoted and made senior observer so I had to replace my flight badges anyway - I'm going to send my old flight badges through the wash to see if that works.

Adam B

On the topic of Velcro, I just bought a command patch and leather nametag from Vanguard, only to discover that they don't include the fuzzy side. Disappointing, and now I have to make a separate order just for the fuzzy bit.

I bet them reeboks with the straps have both sides of the Velcro...
Adam

PHall

Quote from: Adam B on February 26, 2019, 12:51:57 AM
On the topic of Velcro, I just bought a command patch and leather nametag from Vanguard, only to discover that they don't include the fuzzy side. Disappointing, and now I have to make a separate order just for the fuzzy bit.

I bet them reeboks with the straps have both sides of the Velcro...

If you brought the black leather jacket that Vanguard sells it would already have the loop velcro on it.
It's a package deal you see.

Adam B

Oh, that nearly $300 jacket comes with $0.50 of velcro? Well, now. That's a deal.  ;D
Adam

N6RVT

Quote from: Adam B on February 26, 2019, 12:51:57 AM

I should start saving all that Velcro I normally throw away.  I had about 5 of the pieces you need.

Spam

As for me, I sewed everything on because I wore the Nomex for work. I simply slapped on the CAP items when I needed to, and removed them to fly for work (flight test).  Very handy!

V/r
Spam

hfriday

Amazon sells a 3"- or 4"-wide strip of hook (patch side) or loop (uniform side) in either green or black. It's like $5/yard with free shipping and will last you a long time.