Wing email address retention policy

Started by Holding Pattern, October 30, 2019, 06:08:11 PM

Holding Pattern

For wings that run their own email infrastructure for their members or other cloud services:

Do you allow your members to keep their email address when they switch wings but stay in the organization? Do you have a documented process stating your policy of either keeping or deactivating email accounts?

dwb

Virginia, currently on G Suite.

No, the email address is auto-disabled when the member leaves the wing (or their membership lapses).

We do have an override capability. So, if someone wants access for 30-60 days after they leave, they can request that. Also, we have instances of people moving to Region HQ but keeping their VAWG email active. Those are one-off requests.

This applies to their whole VAWG Google Account. So, Gmail, Drive, etc.

Auto-disable by default with override has been a good balance for us.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: dwb on October 30, 2019, 06:19:26 PM
Virginia, currently on G Suite.

No, the email address is auto-disabled when the member leaves the wing (or their membership lapses).

We do have an override capability. So, if someone wants access for 30-60 days after they leave, they can request that. Also, we have instances of people moving to Region HQ but keeping their VAWG email active. Those are one-off requests.

This applies to their whole VAWG Google Account. So, Gmail, Drive, etc.

Auto-disable by default with override has been a good balance for us.

Have you created an IT supplement to document that policy?

TheSkyHornet

We have a hard enough time removing members' Wing email access after they leave CAP...

dwb

Quote from: Holding Pattern on October 30, 2019, 06:20:37 PM
Have you created an IT supplement to document that policy?

I don't believe so. I did a cursory glance at VAWG supplements and policies and I don't see it written down.

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on October 30, 2019, 07:55:09 PM
We have a hard enough time removing members' Wing email access after they leave CAP...

That's what computers are for! We have a script to take care of that.

jb3

For the overseas squadrons, our policy is to disable the account when a member leaves. We have a draft supplement being staffed that outlines this and other rules for os.cap.gov accounts.