Two Killed in CAP Aircraft Accident

Started by SJFedor, November 09, 2007, 01:44:11 PM

SJFedor

Got an email this morning noting that the NVWG/CC Col. Dion DeCamp and former PACR/CC Col. Ed Lewis were killed in a CAP aircraft crash last night.

Thoughts and prayers to the family  :(

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

capmaj

Has this been conformed any where else?

capmaj

A tragic loss for aviation in general and CAP in particular. Ed came across as a crusty old S.O.B., but he truly loved flying and CAP!

May he rest well.

jimmydeanno

Another sad day in CAP - my thoughts and prayers go out to their families during this time.

This does raise some concern for me however.  This is the second fatal CAP crash in a 3 month period of time, what is going on?  I truly hope that this doesn't become a frequent occurance...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

RiverAux

Unfortuanetely, one or two fatal accidents per year is about the norm for CAP. 

Nomex Maximus

While I understand that NHQ will provide details when they know them, does anyone know what they were out doing last night? Was there a mission going on? What airplane were they flying? Where were they flying from or to? Take off, landing or enroute accident?
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

capmaj

There also doesn't seem to be any info on the Nevada news sites I have checked.

Eeyore

Here is the email that I got, it gives a little bit of detail.

"From: XXX
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 09:39:27 EST
Subject: CAWG CAP- Tragic Aircraft Accident in Pacific Region
To: XXX

It is with great sadness that I must inform you that Civil Air Patrol has lost two of its valuable members in an aircraft accident last evening, Col Ed Lewis, PACR and Col Dion DeCamp, NVWG Commander. They were on a flight from Nellis AFB, Nevada to Rosamond California and crashed at approximately 1915 hrs PST near Mt Potosi, Nevada.

Please put both of them and their families in your thoughts and prayers. More info will follow when it becomes available.

Larry Myrick"

dhon27

From FAA:

IDENTIFICATION
  Regis#: 881CP        Make/Model: C182      Description: 182, Skylane
  Date: 11/08/2007     Time: 0315

Event Type: Accident   Highest Injury: Fatal     Mid Air: N 
  Missing: N
  Damage: Destroyed

City: LAS VEGAS   State: NV   Country: US

DESCRIPTION
  AIRCRAFT CRASHED INTO A MOUNTAIN, THE TWO PERSONS ON BOARD WERE
FATALLY
  INJURED, 12 MILES FROM LAS VEGAS, NV

INJURY DATA      Total Fatal:   2
                 # Crew:   2     Fat:   2     Ser:   0     Min:   0   
Unk:   
                 # Pass:   0     Fat:   0     Ser:   0     Min:   0   
Unk:   
                 # Grnd:         Fat:   0     Ser:   0     Min:   0   
Unk:   

WEATHER: KLAS 090245Z 10SM FEW180 BKN250 33/M01 A2995

OTHER DATA
  Activity: Unknown      Phase: Unknown      Operation: OTHER

FAA FSDO: LAS VEGAS, NV  (WP19)                 Entry date:
11/09/2007

california IC

To all...it is still early and the facts will come together slowly.  Col. Lewis brought the Airvan from Los Angeles to NV for an airshow this weekend.  Ed and Dion than were to return in a  CAP G1000 C182 for the CAWG conference this weekend.  I understand that they were going to stop near where Ed works at Edwards AFB.  It was after dark near Mt. Potosi southwest of Las Vegas.  Both of these gentlemen were high hour professional pilots.  One story in the media says there may have been a fuel problem, really still to early to know if that is true.
What is known is that these were two really great guys and will both be missed.
Bob Keilholtz

Nomex Maximus

Gee... that sure is going to be one sad conference now.

Nomex Tiberius Maximus
My Theme Song

♠SARKID♠

RiverAux

Folks, I hadn't realized that the FAA was putting up preliminary reports so soon.  Would they put up a preliminary report for an aircraft that has been missing or do they wait until they've been found to put up the report.  If they put up a report while its still missing, some of the information is the sort that some CAP people feel is "sensitive" while a search is ongoing and get uptight about releasing to the media. 

california IC

Just as sad is that next weekend is NVWG's conference.  It was Dion's change of command too.
Bob Keilholtz

Smokey

Just for info...

Col Lewis worked for NASA at the Dryden facility at Edwards AFB. A great guy.  He assisted me in demonstrating the Airvan for the Space Shuttle Recovery director (Gen Hogue) at Edwards.  The Airvan is now part of the standard Space Shuttle Recovery Team at Edwards crewed by CAWG personnel.

Godspeed Col Lew and Col DeCamp.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Larry Mangum

I count my self lucky to have known both gentleman personally.  Dion, was a great guy and was probably going to be Ed's replacement as Region DO, at least that was Ed's hope.  Ed Lewis, was in Washington last weekend for our fall conference and banquet and I do not even know where to begin in talking about him.

They will both be sorely missed and this is an unbelievable lost for all of us.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

capmaj

"If I should die and leave you here awhile,
Be not like the others, sore undone,
Who keep long vigil by the silent dust and weep.

For my sake turn again to life and smile,
Nerving thy heart and trembling hand to do that which will comfort other souls than thine;

Complete these dear unfinished tasks of mine,

And I, perchance, may therein comfort you."

flyerthom

We haven't had any official emails yet in NV wing but I am stunned. Col DeCamp was always accessible to the members and will be much missed.
TC

DogCollar

May the peace of God comfort and sustain the family, friends and co-workers, in and out of CAP, of these two men.
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

Cecil DP

I've know Ed Lewis for 20 years. He was a great guy and was in addition to being a past Pacific region Commander was also National Vice Commander under Brig General Anderson
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

sardak

Quote from: RiverAux on November 09, 2007, 04:23:32 PM
Folks, I hadn't realized that the FAA was putting up preliminary reports so soon.  Would they put up a preliminary report for an aircraft that has been missing or do they wait until they've been found to put up the report.
FAA does not post preliminary accident reports until the aircraft has been located.  How could they possibly post an accident report if the airplane hasn't been found, it might not have crashed.

This crash was reportedly witnessed by a Las Vegas Metro PD helo crew which was out looking for another missing GA aircraft.  The other aircraft was located OK.

Ed Lewis was a research pilot with NASA.  His official NASA bio is here:
Ed Lewis NASA Bio

I didn't know Dion, but Ed was a good friend and mentor of mine.  My condolences to the families of both men.

Mike

RiverAux

QuoteHow could they possibly post an accident report if the airplane hasn't been found, it might not have crashed.
A valid point, but this is the government we're talking about and anything is possible....

Larry Mangum

Col Lewis's offical NASA picture.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

bosshawk

I have known Ed Lewis for all of my 15 years in CAP and I have to say that he was one guy whom I greatly respected.  He was hard to like, but easy to respect: he was always a voice of reason in an organization where reasonableness is increasingly missing.

His primary duty at NASA most recently was in Air Ops, but he had flown the DC-8 research aircraft for lots of years.  He flew O-1 FAC missions in Viet Nam and was a retired AF Reserve Colonel.  He served a tour as the CC of CAWG, in addition to the other positions that have already been mentioned.  He was currently the Region DO.

It is my understanding that he had ferried the GA-8, located in CAWG, up to Nellis AFB for the weekend Aviation Nation and was returning to his home in Rosamond, CA prior to going to the Wing Conference in Ontario.

I had met DeCamp several times, but can't say that I knew him.

May the Almighty care for their souls and the hearts and souls of all who have come in contact with both gentlemen.

Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

RiverAux

From CAP News Online:
QuoteCAP leaders die in plane crash

Pacific Region director of operations, Nev. Wing commander were en route to Rosamond, Calif.
November 09, 2007

NATIONAL HEADQUARTERS -- Two nationally recognized, highly regarded members of the Civil Air Patrol – Col. Edwin W. Lewis Jr., director of operations for CAP's Pacific Region, and Col. Dion E. DeCamp, commander of CAP's Nevada Wing – died Thursday evening when their CAP plane crashed south of Las Vegas.

Lewis had traveled to Nellis Air Force Base in Las Vegas to drop off a CAP airplane to be used as an airshow display.  He and DeCamp where apparently en route to Rosamond, Calif.,  Lewis' hometown, when the crash occurred.

Lewis and DeCamp had enjoyed long and distinguished careers, both in the U.S. Air Force and CAP. Most recently, both men were actively involved in the search for legendary American aviator Steve Fossett.

Lewis, 71, had served in the Civil Air Patrol for more than 50 years. He was a former national vice commander, elected in August 1993. He served in that capacity for one year. Before that, he served as Pacific Region commander for four years. He also was California Wing commander from 1978 to 1982.

Lewis was both a CAP and USAF command pilot with more than 28,000 flight hours.

He retired from Pan Am as a commercial airline pilot in 1989 to become a research pilot with NASA. Since 1997, he worked at Dryden Flight Research Center at Edwards Air Force Base, Calif., where he instructed in four aircraft – C-12, C-20A, DC-8 and T-34C – supporting NASA-Dryden flight test programs. He also was the center's aviation safety officer.

Lewis' military awards include the Distinguished Flying Cross, Bronze Star, Air Medals, Meritorious Service Medal and others. His CAP awards include Distinguished Service Medals, Exceptional and Meritorious Service Awards, Gill Rob Wilson Award, the Search and Rescue ribbon, and others.

Lewis was a region advisor for the Fossett search.

He is survived by his wife, the former Midge Chrestenson, and two adult sons, Eric and Steven.

DeCamp, 73, of Reno, Nev., became commander of the Nevada Wing in 2003. Most recently, he led the wing's initial search efforts for Fossett, who disappeared on Labor Day during a solo flight in Nevada. The search for Fossett, who has yet to be found, was the largest in the Civil Air Patrol's modern-day history.

DeCamp's wife, CAP Lt. Col. E.J. Smith, also served as search incident commander during the Fossett mission. He is survived by adult son, Michael, and two daughters, Kristin and Gayle.

DeCamp joined CAP in 1994. He served as Nevada Wing director of operations, vice commander, representative to the Nevada state SAR Board and  Pacific Region director of operations training before becoming Nevada Wing commander.

DeCamp was a CAP and USAF command pilot with more than 27,000 flight hours. He was retired from the California Air National Guard, served in Vietnam and flew C-130 missions worldwide. He retired, as captain, from American Airlines in 1994.

The cause of the crash is unknown at this time. A full investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board is scheduled to begin this morning.

"The CAP family is deeply saddened by this tremendous loss," said Brig. Gen. Amy S. Courter, CAP interim national commander. "There were no finer members than Col. DeCamp and Col. Lewis.

"Their illustrious volunteer service, which collectively spanned more than seven decades, touched innumerable lives and now, in sorrow, consoles those left behind as a testament to their dedication and commitment to the citizens of their respective communities." 

Major Lord

"Lewis was both a CAP and USAF command pilot with more than 28,000 flight hours. "

That's 3.196347 flight Years!

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Nomex Maximus

Quote from: Major Lord on November 09, 2007, 08:42:06 PM
"Lewis was both a CAP and USAF command pilot with more than 28,000 flight hours. "

That's 3.196347 flight Years!

Major Lord

That's 130+ times the number of hours I have, and it has taken me 3 years of flying to get those.

Combined they had 55,000 flight hours...
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
My Theme Song

flyguy06

Quote from: bosshawk on November 09, 2007, 06:25:58 PM
I have known Ed Lewis for all of my 15 years in CAP and I have to say that he was one guy whom I greatly respected.  He was hard to like, but easy to respect: he was always a voice of reason in an organization where reasonableness is increasingly missing.

His primary duty at NASA most recently was in Air Ops, but he had flown the DC-8 research aircraft for lots of years.  He flew O-1 FAC missions in Viet Nam and was a retired AF Reserve Colonel.  He served a tour as the CC of CAWG, in addition to the other positions that have already been mentioned.  He was currently the Region DO.

It is my understanding that he had ferried the GA-8, located in CAWG, up to Nellis AFB for the weekend Aviation Nation and was returning to his home in Rosamond, CA prior to going to the Wing Conference in Ontario.

I had met DeCamp several times, but can't say that I knew him.

May the Almighty care for their souls and the hearts and souls of all who have come in contact with both gentlemen.

My condolences. When was he the PCR Commander?

SoCalCAPOfficer

It is always a tragedy when we lose our fellow members.  However to lose men of this caliber is a loss beyond description.
Daniel L. Hough, Maj, CAP
Commander
Hemet Ryan Sq 59  PCR-CA-458

bosshawk

flyguy06: from the press release I deduce that he was the PCR Commander from 88-92.  I have known him since 1993.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

ltcoltsayler

I had the priveledge of working with both these men, and many of your posts cover the same experiences.

Have known Ed since early 80's.

Most recently, I was able to see the great sense of humor Col. Lewis had, and appreciated his support of the Region Ground Search & Rescue Academy.

It is a profound loss.  Let's take time to appreciate and enjoy each other and keep the families in our prayers.
T. Sayler, Lt Col
GSAR Academy Director
"That Others May Live...."

A.Member

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

wingnut

I had just got back from the Hospital after some surgery and I was stunned by the news I have attached a link to give you an idea of the area, it is the same mountain that Clark Gables wife (Carol Lombard) died flying from Nellis to California in 1943.

http://www.birdandhike.com/Hike/Other_Areas/Lombard/Lombard.htm

you might need to cut and paste

it is haloed ground for Air Force Airmen, 22 Officers in-route to LA also died on the mountain. Now it is 24, It is an honor to serve with such men who have died on that mountain.

Nomex Maximus

Quote from: wingnut on November 10, 2007, 06:24:58 AM

. . .

it is haloed ground for Air Force Airmen, 22 Officers in-route to LA also died on the mountain. Now it is 24, It is an honor to serve with such men who have died on that mountain.

What is it about this mountain that kills so many people?

Nomex Tiberius Maximus
My Theme Song

wingnut

With Clark Gables wife the pilot had planned the flight from Las vegas, but because of the military Blackout he had to land at Nellis (or what ever the name was ) As a result he had charted a different course that would have been at a safer altittude if he had flown from Vegas. But, as fate made it he failed to rechart his course and was flying an alltitude 1,000 feet lower than the Peak. And that was it. Tragic, because they hit almost at full power.

people can still find uniform items and such around the flight, urban legend tells a story that clarK Gable was actually rushed to the site and identified his wife by her dress, her wedding ring was never found.

Frenchie

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on November 10, 2007, 09:23:50 AM
Quote from: wingnut on November 10, 2007, 06:24:58 AM

. . .

What is it about this mountain that kills so many people?

Mt Potosi is about 17 mi SW of LAS.  The elevation of LAS is about 2100'.  The elevation of the mountain is about 8500'.  So in 17 mi you have to climb 6400' to clear the mountain.  At 90 kts climb speed, that's roughly 600' per minute climb rate which is hard to maintain the closer you get to 8500'.

jspear

I have known Ed for my entire career with CAP (1980).. he conducted my first Form5 in 1981. I was also on his staff at CAWG. He was a GREAT leader !!! 

I was also fortunate enough to work with him at NASA, both at Ames Reasearch Center, and Dryden Flight Research Center.   He and I also shared the same birthdate (not the year).

I lived near him in Roasamond, Ca and he always allowed me to keep current in his C182 when I needed to.

He was always my CAP and aviation mentor.  Some have posted that he was crusty and rough around the edges ... that was the persona for those who did not know him well.  For those of us who were privileged to know him, he was a truly good person.  I will miss him tremendously

All my thoughts and prayers to Ed's and Dion's families.

Jack
Lt. Col. Jack E. Spear, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson #280
Henderson Composite Squadron
PCR-NV-065
"Proudly serving since 1980"

alice

I got to know Ed ten years ago through a mutual friend, Jim Bigelow.  As the previous poster said - he was not a crusty or gruff guy except to those he did not respect.  He did not suffer fools...

Ed was someone who cared very deeply about CAP operations and CAP's future.  I know he would have been looking forward to talking with the new CAP CC at the California Wing Conference as well as the new California Wing CC.

I had the pleasure of working with him a few times on actual missing aircraft searches when he used his influence at NASA to fly its AirSAR (Airborne Synthetic Aperture Radar) aboard the DC-8.  Sometimes when it was already aboard the DC-8 he could get a few passes over a search area before we suspended difficult mountainous searches.  In another case, a few years ago, he was able to get a lot of data for the NASA Search and Rescue Office at Goddard for a search objective in SoCal - that missing Mexican/Israeli pilot who dropped off radar near El Cajon Pass many months after the official search was suspended.  Search & Rescue Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR2) is still being worked on to refine the software to avoid too many false positive targets.  I've seen it locate actual missing aircraft wreckage under snow.  It's a search tool we *will* have one day...

He cared very deeply about narrowing a search area quickly and using the best technology available.  He had more than thirty years of experience as a California Wing Incident Commander.

But, what sticks with me this weekend is his voice of calm joy over the phone telling me about upcoming NASA work such as flying the DC-8 to the Arctic Circle in Sweden, or to "Kwaj", or flying a glider for sound tests of a fast mover nearby....

A pilot's pilot.  A loss beyond measure to CAP. Blue skies.
Alice Mansell, LtCol CAP

Smokey

BTW.... I was at the Nellis Airshow yesterday. I spoke to a member of the Nellis Squadron who saw the Cols off.  He said everything seemed fine, weather was VFR, etc. 

Las Vegas Metro PD air unit did see the explosion from the crash. Word has it the only way they knew it was a CAP aircraft was one door was separate from the wreckage and they saw the markings. A very devastating scene.

Las Vegas news reports said the pilot(s) radioed McCarren Apt that they had mechanical problems or fuel problems. However that is unconfirmed and another private aircraft made a forced landing further south that same evening so it could be they have the two incidents confused.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

renomtcofc

I agree that the Las Vegas press probably got two incidents confused.

N881CP, the aircraft they were flying, was a new T182T NAV III delivered to Nevada wing in April of this year, and had accumulated well over 300 hours on the tach since delivery.   

Someone had asked about aircraft performance....  Colonel DeCamp was very pleased to receive the turbo-charged version because of the high terrain and high density altitudes we often have to deal with here in Nevada.   

For example, according to the POH on page 5-20, at a normal climb at 95 knots KIAS, a climb from 2000 feet to 8000 feet would have had climb rates from 545 fpm to 495 fpm at max weight (3100 lbs),  and taken about 11 minutes and 20 nautical miles at standard temperature.  Under the same conditions, a maximum rate climb (83 to 82 KIAS) results in climb rates of 1010 to 915 fpm and would have taken 6 minutes and 9 nautical miles (POH 5-19).

I only met Ed recently (during the Steve Fossett search), but I had many wonderful occasions to work with Col DeCamp.  He will be very missed by me.  My condolences to his family and all of Nevada Wing.

alice

Tuesday afternooon, Nov 13 on the All-CAWG e-mail list:

To all CAWG members,

Funeral services for our colleague and friend, Col. Edwin Lewis, will be held at 10:00 am on Saturday, 17 November, 2007 at Transfiguration Catholic Church in Castro Valley, CA.  The address is 4000 E. Castro Valley Blvd., Castro Valley, CA  94552.

Additionally, a memorial service will be held on Saturday, 1 December, 2007 in the Palmdale area.  Details will follow as soon as they are finalized.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made to the CAP-Lewis Scholarship Fund, c/o Pacific Region, Civil Air Patrol, PO Box 4718, Hayward, CA  94540-4718.

Any questions, please call LtCol Debra Taylor......

Thanks,

Ken

Colonel Kenneth W. Parris, CAP
Commander, California Wing
Civil Air Patrol, US Air Force Auxiliary

Alice Mansell, LtCol CAP

sardak

NTSB preliminary report has been posted here:
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20071121X01832&key=1

Doesn't include much more than is already known, except for the crash coordinates.
The next report issued by NTSB is the factual report.  When?  Well, the factual report has yet to be posted for the Wyoming CAP crash which occurred in August.

Mike

Nomex Maximus

It doesn't say who was flying.

It suggests that while the victims were recovered that the aircraft is still up there on the mountain. Might be a reall probelm trying to get up there to recover the wreckage.

Supposing that you witness a crash while in the air, what is the best thing to do? Fly to the crash area as the law enforcement helo did? It was night, do you risk flying into the same mountain that they did? What about downdrafts that they might have gotten caught in? 

This month's Volunteer magazine just arrived yesterday with articles on both the earlier crash in Wyoming and the Fossett search - which had pictures of one of the victims of this crash.

The whole thing sort of unnerves me. I am a relatively low time pilot and this sort of stuff is happening to high time pilots.

--NTM

Nomex Tiberius Maximus
My Theme Song

bosshawk

Don't be unnerved: this sort of thing happens to high time pilots, as well as those with low time.  A word to the wise, try not to make mistakes, because errors in judgement multiply in these sorts of situations.

I certainly don't know what was going through Ed and Dion's minds on that flight: we will likely never know who was flying.  I have been through two fatal crashes of CAP planes: both in the same squadron that I belonged to at the time.  Both PICs were high time guys.  Most often, these sorts of things are caused by errors in judgement and that is something that is very hard to teach.

Continue to march.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

RiverAux

Unfortunately, given the number of hours CAP flies every year and even though our safety record is usually better than general aviation, we're still likely to have one or two fatal accidents every year.  Obviously we have to do what we can to make these rare incidents even rarer. 

Short Field

Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

— Captain A. G. Lamplugh, British Aviation Insurance Group, London. Circa early 1930's.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Kurt Olney

Ed Lewis was an honorary member of YO-3A Quiet Aircraft Association.  Ed flew the NASA YO-3A (originally a Lockheed Greenhouse Works aircraft-- 11 Built-- used for low altitude, silent, night recon work in Vietnam. 

Ed was instrumental in getting us 10 minutes of footage of the NASA YO-3A Flying at Edwards AFB.  Ed was the star of this film.  I will be posting it on the YO-3A website: http://www.yo-3a.com/yo3anasa.html

Our group will miss Ed, and we wish the best for his family.

Kurt Olney
Webmaster and VP Quiet Aircraft Association http://www.quietaircraft.org