Fire resistant surplus jacket

Started by Vegas1972, March 18, 2018, 10:21:29 PM

Vegas1972

This might be a good option when flying in polo.  Price is cheap enough to take a flyer and see if it is any good.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/french-military-surplus-fire-resistant-jacket-new?a=2081191&CJ=1&cjaffilid=4084797&cjaffsite=Apps+47%2c+Inc&cjadv=CJTSGUSA&cjadvid=1522857&utm_source=Apps+47%2c+Inc&utm_medium=CJ&utm_campaign=SPG+Product+Catalog+-+SportsmansGuide.com

Disclaimer
Before you "flame" me...  We all know Nomex is better, leather is better,  I'm not a pilot, I'm not a fire resistance engineer, I've done no research on this specific material, I'm not suggesting that it's "safe" to fly in polo or that you do so, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night.  Merely providing a link for those interested. 
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.", Sgt. John M. Stryker.

abdsp51

Is it like french rifles?  Never fired and only dropped once?

SarDragon

I would pass. It is treated cotton, and nowhere close to Nomex in performance, hence the low price.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Vegas1972

I imagine you could file it under the it's better than fleece if you can't afford Nomex.  Of course Nomex is much better.

PHall

Cotton is what you wear under your Nomex.
You want a "fire resistant" jacket to go fly in? Get a leather jacket.

Vegas1972

Lol   "I didn't get a harrumph out of that guy"

SarDragon

Quote from: PHall on March 18, 2018, 11:40:32 PM
Cotton is what you wear under your Nomex.
You want a "fire resistant" jacket to go fly in? Get a leather jacket.

Leather isn't so good either, because it can shrink and stiffen when it gets really hot. Movement becomes difficult. But, still better than polyester.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Live2Learn

dunno why people think a nomex flight suit is so spendy.  I fund a couple of USAF nomex flight suits hanging on the rack in  a military surplus store.  One was $45, the other $55.  Both were in good condition.   I also found two winter CWU 100% Amarid flight jackets (just another brand of nomex) for under $70 each.  Look at the surplus stores near military bases.  The options are there to find equipment that is both in  good condition and inexpensive.

Vegas1972

Green Nomex is very cheap, close to free in most units.  Blue Nomex, not so much.  This material, which they use to to make lower end autoracing suits and the like, is only an option.  An option that is obviously not as good as Nomex but is an option that is arguably better than your everyday run of the mill jacket.  If you can wear an USAF flightsuit, by all means do so...great.   Not everyone can.  No one is advocating replacing your Nomex flightsuit with this jacket. 

Shawn W.

Quote"I didn't get a harrumph out that guy"

Harrumph!!

Vegas1972

Quote from: Shawn W. on March 19, 2018, 03:21:19 AM
Quote"I didn't get a harrumph out that guy"

Harrumph!!

You watch you're xxx. 

:)