Windows Licensing for donated PCs from NHQ?

Started by Eclipse, January 07, 2019, 02:42:24 AM

Eclipse

Anyone know if there is a program or path to get Win10 keys for machines
donated to CAP that don't have an OS? 

These were enterprise machines that require a VLA server, so they come up as "not activated"
when they are removed from the domain.

I'm waiting for a quote from CCB, and will get them there is necessary, but if there's a way NHQ will
cover them, K-SARA.

(Since these will be used primarily for web access I may well put Ubuntu on them with Open Office, or turn them into Chromebooks,
with Cloudready, but I also have several Surface's that would need Windows).

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Eclipse

Quote from: arajca on January 07, 2019, 02:57:34 AM
Have you checked on TechSoup.org?

Yes.

"Eligible organizations may place only one request ever for Microsoft Get Genuine Windows operating system products. Additionally, these products may not be returned. The request may be for up to 50 licenses of any combination of Get Genuine products."

Humorously, emphasis their's...

"That Others May Zoom"

NovemberWhiskey

There are a number of clearinghouses for OEM licenses if that is an option that works for you; e.g. kinguin.net

Eclipse

Quote from: NovemberWhiskey on January 08, 2019, 03:10:00 AM
There are a number of clearinghouses for OEM licenses if that is an option that works for you; e.g. kinguin.net

They seem to have a really good online rep.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ozzy

I ended up buying an eBay Win 10 Pro and 2016 Office keys. They worked perfectly and only cost me I believe $20 together
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Ozzy on January 08, 2019, 02:02:30 PM
I ended up buying an eBay Win 10 Pro and 2016 Office keys. They worked perfectly and only cost me I believe $20 together

They are probably cracked (illegal) keys.

The issue with OEM keys is that they're intended (read: licensed for) for system builders, not aftermarket, at least as far as I know.

JeffDG

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on January 08, 2019, 03:46:59 PM
Quote from: Ozzy on January 08, 2019, 02:02:30 PM

They are probably cracked (illegal) keys.

The issue with OEM keys is that they're intended (read: licensed for) for system builders, not aftermarket, at least as far as I know.

Yeah, I don't think you can legally buy OEM keys and apply them to some other hardware.  They are sold licensed to a particular piece of hardware and are non-transferable.

(Former IT License Management Guy at Fortune 500)

Eclipse

I might be able to register as a refurbisher and get legit copies of Windows at prices similar to OEM.

Still haven't heard back from CCB.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on January 08, 2019, 06:45:42 PM
I might be able to register as a refurbisher and get legit copies of Windows at prices similar to OEM.

Still haven't heard back from CCB.
You could just register your unit for TechSoup and use your one annual purchase opportunity...

JeffDG

Out of curiosity...

Do these PCs have an OEM License sticker on them?

Even if they were previously licensed on a corporate account, their OEM License should still be valid for that hardware.  Many corporations buy PCs, and then license windows Pro/Enterprise on top of their OEM license that came from the vendor.  When you remove them from their KMS server, they can be reloaded with their original OEM licenses.

Eclipse

Quote from: JeffDG on January 08, 2019, 07:15:10 PM
Out of curiosity...

Do these PCs have an OEM License sticker on them?

Even if they were previously licensed on a corporate account, their OEM License should still be valid for that hardware.  Many corporations buy PCs, and then license windows Pro/Enterprise on top of their OEM license that came from the vendor.  When you remove them from their KMS server, they can be reloaded with their original OEM licenses.

Some do, some don't, and those that do are Windows 7 that was not upgraded to 10 during the free period.

A lot of them were ordered with either no OS or Linux.

So TechSoup is allowing individual units to purchase vs. CAP as a whole?

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on January 08, 2019, 07:37:11 PM
I have set up and made purchases for our Wing separate from NHQ.

I have not tried this particular item, however.

Same way, our Wing has a Google Apps for Nonprofits account, using the same EIN as NHQ, but our account is completely separate from National's, or other wing/units who have signed up.

Fubar

Quote from: Eclipse on January 08, 2019, 07:37:11 PM

Yes, can confirm multiple units in my wing use TechSoup for stuff, including MS products.

Holding Pattern

The Windows 10 Enterprise Charity SKU is: KV3-00257

Google that, and the resellers shall appear.

Price should be between $37-40.

If you are worried about sketchy sites, CDW is commonly used by many big companies and has it for $39.99.

I do not know what their validation mechanism is.

Eclipse

If it's CDW you can pretty much count on it being as convoluted, complicated, and prolonged as possible.

I've been working on a single copy of Acrobat for a client for about a week now.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Just to follow up on this, I was able to get 6 MAK's through Techsoup for $9 each.

Activation changed the devices from Enterprise to Pro.  Easy-peasy.

"That Others May Zoom"

Fester

Another option is to turn them into Chromebooks.  I've done it on 3 old laptops. Easy peasy.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/turn-an-old-laptop-into-a-chromebook/
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Eclipse

I like Neverware, and there's a couple on this pile that won't fully support Win10
that will probably go that route.

"That Others May Zoom"