CAP Policy -- Driving CAP Vehicles while Using Cellphones?

Started by RADIOMAN015, March 27, 2009, 10:55:47 PM

wuzafuzz

Quote from: RiverAux on August 20, 2009, 03:14:13 AM
There is no question that people talking on a cell phone are nowhere near as safe as someone that isn't on the cell phone.

I think the question is wide open.  IMHO it seems many people are jumping on the bandwagon because this issue is being spoon fed to us by politicians and journalists with an agenda. 

BTW, those of us advocating individual responsibility are not reckless people who willingly risk the safety of others to keep our ego inflated.  I'll be at the head of the line to bring the hammer down on folks who drive recklessly, and I have reported or cited them on numerous occasions. 

FWIW, I don't text or even dial while driving.  Personal choice based on experience.  Voice dialing is the bomb, by the way.

We can have a culture of safety without allowing it to become a culture of fear.  If we keep sliding down the slope we'll have to cancel the cadet program before some kids get the idea to join the military and be exposed to combat.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Eclipse

Quote from: wuzafuzz on August 20, 2009, 06:52:10 PM
We can have a culture of safety without allowing it to become a culture of fear.

+1

We gave up teaching people to drive years ago, now we just make cars that are "survivable".   :o

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: davedove on August 20, 2009, 05:55:24 PM
It seems to me that if we are talking about CAP vehicles, most of the time there will be more than one person in the vehicle.  ??? Just let the person in the passenger seat answer the phone.

Not a policy in our area, but it is standard practice. Went to a SAREX a couple weeks ago. Another senior was driving, and her phone rang. She just handed it to me. I handled the radio, and any calls made to the driver. Nothing was discussed prior, that's just the way we did it.

EMT-83

Quote from: wuzafuzz on August 20, 2009, 06:52:10 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on August 20, 2009, 03:14:13 AM
There is no question that people talking on a cell phone are nowhere near as safe as someone that isn't on the cell phone.

I think the question is wide open.  IMHO it seems many people are jumping on the bandwagon because this issue is being spoon fed to us by politicians and journalists with an agenda. 

Almost got T-boned today, with the family in the car, by a girl who ran a red light while talking on her cell phone. We ended up sideways in the intersection to avoid being hit. She had no clue what had just happened as she drove by us.

RADIOMAN015

Apparently CAPR 77-1, para 2-2, prohibits the driver of a CAP vehicle from utilizing a hand held cellphone or text message device while operating the vehicle.  I would assume that operating means while the vehicle is in motion or temporarily stopped.  IF one pulls off the side of the road and places the vehicle in park, I would assume that would be ok.    BTW some states still allow use of handheld cellphone devices, there's no studies that validate the use of hands free devices allows for safer driving.   I can see at times where operational a driver may have to use a cellphone for a very short time while driving.
RM

commando1

In TN only texting is outlawed. As a personal practice I do not have long conversations over the phone while driving. It is not worth it. I will however call someone to check on something if it will take less than a minute or two. As a CAP practice I always call shotgun ('cause there is way more leg room up front). I handle all cellular communications for the driver unless they are personal (in which case we silence the phone). I don't think the radio is that big of a distraction for a driver becuase you don't have to dial a number, see who's calling or anything of that nature. You pick it up and press a button. That simple.   >:D I believe that all cellular calls can wait while on a mission. Or if it is that pressing call another member in the vehicle (call the navigator, communications, co-pilot etc...)
Non Timebo Mala

USAFgirl

In Virginia, It is against the law to use your cellphone in any vehicle
//SIGNED//
NIKYLA WARDROP, CAP
FRedericksburg Composite Sq.

Eclipse

Quote from: USAFgirl on April 23, 2011, 05:28:17 PM
In Virginia, It is against the law to use your cellphone in any vehicle

Incorrect, within the Commonwealth of Virgina, cell phone use is only prohibited for those with learner's permits / intermediate driver's licenses and school bus drivers.

Texting while driving is prohibited for all unless reporting an emergency, however is is not a primary-enforceable offense.

"That Others May Zoom"