CAP Bookstore Catalog

Started by Stonewall, December 02, 2008, 07:17:01 PM

Stonewall

For those of you younger folks who don't know what you're missing, here is a link I found on my old squadron's website of the 2000 edition of the CAP Bookstore.

I ordered so often as a cadet I still have the toll free number memorized...800-633-8768.  As a cadet I must have ordered at least once a month.
Serving since 1987.

JC004

Those were the days!  And I thought that the Bookstore sucked!  Then we got Vanguard...

I miss the CAP Supply Depot too...

Timbo

Not to mention, they had "unadvertised" items like cases of MRE's for sale.  Anyone remember those advertised in the old CAP news. 

Bring back the Bookstore and Depot.  Those were better days.

IceNine

Random tidbit for ya.

If you do a phone or mail in order to vanguard and use the item numbers from this catalog vanguard will send you the right items.

I know wierd, but true one  of my units only does mail in orders they said they've never had a problem
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Timbo

Quote from: IceNine on December 02, 2008, 07:48:00 PM
If you do a phone or mail in order to vanguard and use the item numbers from this catalog vanguard will send you the right items.

That means......Vanguard just took the Bookstore logistical numbering system and made it their own.  That saved them some $$ on trying to create a new one. 

Duke Dillio

I loved the supply depot.  They always carried all of that stuff that you always needed.  Their prices really weren't that bad and their service was excellent.  While we may never see the bookstore again, I would really like to see the supply depot come back to life.

Eclipse

2000 - only eight years ago and not a single mention in there of email or a website.

How the world has changed.

Gotta love those light blue golf shirts (still have mine), and orange flight suits!

"That Others May Zoom"

pixelwonk

Oh dude.  I actually knew someone who had one!  (the Sunny Delight bag)
It was kind of a "Where were you when" kind of moments.

tarheel gumby

Oh boy do I remember those days :o
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

DC

I've only been around long enough to remember CAP Mart, but I really miss them. Their website sucked (though, admittedly, Vanguard's is worse..) but their prices were fair, shipping was reasonable, and their service was great, in my experience.

I hate Vanguard, and I don't care too much for the Hock..  :(

Smokey

I really miss the Supply Depot.....you could get survival stuff cheap and alot of other stuff.  I sure wish they could bring that back.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Stonewall

Depot got really good in the mid-90s when they started selling goretex jackets, modular sleeping systems and CFP-90 rucksacks. 

But I still remember the "centerfold" in CAP News in the 80s with "Ranger Field Gear" deals.  I bought so much stuff from that place.
Serving since 1987.

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Stonewall on December 02, 2008, 11:58:57 PM
But I still remember the "centerfold" in CAP News in the 80s with "Ranger Field Gear" deals.  I bout so much stuff from that place.

(Laughing) I remember that!

My memory is apparently really fuzzy, but what happened to the Depot?

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

bosshawk

Re: why did the Depot disappear.  I seem to remember that the official excuse was that it was too expensive to maintain.  At the same time, I was told that an inspection came up with some financial irregularities and CAP leadership(?) decided that the whole deal wasn't worth the problems.  The guy who I used to deal with at the Depot is now the guy who runs the aircraft maintenance system at National.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Smokey

One story was the Depot lost it's lease on the building they were using.

Anyone here got enough juice to try to get the powers to re-establish the Depot?

MIKE

I heard they were selling stuff they weren't authorized to sell. i.e. all that sweet surplus gear.
Mike Johnston

Stonewall

Quote from: MIKE on December 03, 2008, 02:36:27 AM
I heard they were selling stuff they weren't authorized to sell. i.e. all that sweet surplus gear.

Yep, that's what I heard from the brass in my [previous] region.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Does anyone remember when Tori Steinmeier was on the cover of the Bookstore catalog?  I think it was 1997 or 98.  She had gotten her Spaatz that year.

Here she is on the left:
Serving since 1987.

Cecil DP

Quote from: Smokey on December 03, 2008, 02:23:09 AM
One story was the Depot lost it's lease on the building they were using.

Anyone here got enough juice to try to get the powers to re-establish the Depot?

I also heard that they were in the red for close to $1M dollars
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

dwb

Quote from: Stonewall on December 02, 2008, 11:58:57 PMBut I still remember the "centerfold" in CAP News in the 80s with "Ranger Field Gear" deals.  I bought so much stuff from that place.

Oh man, I had forgotten about that.  I practically drooled over all that snivel gear.

This is going to sound like a comment from the 1950s, but I used to save my paper route money so I could mail order items from the CAP Supply Depot.  That place rocked.  The rumor I heard was that financial irregularities shut them down.

I used to have a copy of the bookstore catalog that featured our Wing DO (at the time) on it.

Stonewall

Quote from: dwb on December 03, 2008, 06:23:35 PMThis is going to sound like a comment from the 1950s, but I used to save my paper route money so I could mail order items from the CAP Supply Depot. 

I lived in a big neighborhood with big lawns.  I mowed a lot of lawns just so I could support my CAP habit.  Between the Bookstore and Supply Depot, from 1987 to 1992, I must have dropped at least 50% of my income.  I actually had a list of items I *planned* to buy when I saved up the money.
Serving since 1987.

smitjud

I miss shopping in person at the Bookstore.  I made many drives down the road to Maxwell to pick up stuff before activities.  Not as convenient for us locals anymore:)
JUSTIN D. SMITH, Maj, CAP
ALWG

"You do not lead by hitting people over the head - that's assault, not leadership."

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

tsteinme

Wow.  This thread is a walk down memory lane.

The catalog was 1996.  It was the first year I worked at CAP NHQ (while I was still a cadet).

Tori Steinmeier

Stonewall

Hey crazy girl!  Kirt Bowden here!  Glad to see you're alive and well.
Serving since 1987.

Hoorah

Bump.
I wish they could come back with it.

Cecil DP

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on May 28, 2009, 05:46:00 PM
Bump.

Vanguard has been promising a CAP catalog since they bought the franchise. It's always "Next Year"
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Rotorhead

Bump.
When I was in CAP in the 90s, everything had to be ordered from the "CAP Bookstore."

This includes copies of regs and such, which meant you paid for them. Now they're available online for free.

Plus, as I recall, they weren't the fastest at shipping.

I like the way things are done now better.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

FW

Quote from: Cecil DP on May 28, 2009, 06:19:45 PM
Bump.

Vanguard has been promising a CAP catalog since they bought the franchise. It's always "Next Year".

Best thing to do is keep pestering Vangard for better service.  They eventually will get the hint.   

Yeah, from their mouth to our ears.... >:D

Anyway, the catalog was a great way to order "stuff" for our CAP lives. Beat the online catalog we have now.  I wish Vangard got their act together and made things work better.  That being said, there is no way the Bookstore is coming back.  It lost money for the last few years it was "in business".   The Depot lost even more money. 

BTW, CAP makes about $55,000 "commision" from Vangard sales each year.  These funds go directly to development/improvements to Hawk Mt, Blue Beret and NESA and other training facilities.  The money will only be used for member activities (after all, it is our money).

BrandonKea

In this age of having everything online, I think it would be somewhat of a waste to put out a paper catalog anymore... I realize some people may have access issues, but usually there's someone in a squadron who has Internet, and usually those folks are pretty willing to help out those who don't.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

davidsinn

Quote from: BrandonKea on May 28, 2009, 07:56:59 PM
In this age of having everything online, I think it would be somewhat of a waste to put out a paper catalog anymore... I realize some people may have access issues, but usually there's someone in a squadron who has Internet, and usually those folks are pretty willing to help out those who don't.

Put out pdfs. Let the units print them.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Smokey

But it is still sometimes easier to flip through a catalog to find what you want rather than the sometimes bizzare method for categorizing stuff on line.  Sometimes it takes a great deal of searching numerous menus to find what you want on line.

Besides, it's difficult to read "on line" in the home library. ;D

BrandonKea

Quote from: davidsinn on May 28, 2009, 08:17:20 PM
Quote from: BrandonKea on May 28, 2009, 07:56:59 PM

Put out pdfs. Let the units print them.

lol, I never thought of that.

...they'll charge you for the PDF's though  ;D
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

alamrcn

Linky in the OP is broke, but here's another in case you didn't get your copy...
2000 - http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/library/pub-ref/Catalog2000.pdf

I also have...
2001 -http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/library/pub-ref/Catalog2001.pdf
2004 -http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/library/pub-ref/Catalog2004.pdf

I have hard copies of 5 more or so from the 90s, but don't have the resources to turn them into PDFs  :(

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

biomed441

I remember getting one of these issued as a cadet.  Cant really say if I liked it any more than vanguard or not.  I understand those who don't have a reliable internet source, it could be a hassel to use vanguard. Thankfully I do (As shown by the ammount of time I waste here  ;) ) and vanguard does seem to ship things faster.  My opinion though.

Larry Mangum

I still use my Molle pack I got from the Depot, sigh, they were one of the best places to get field gear.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

Stonewall

Quote from: Rotorhead on May 28, 2009, 06:47:44 PMThis includes copies of regs and such, which meant you paid for them. Now they're available online for free.

Ever think that maybe the Bookstore had to sell copies of regs because they weren't available online at the time?  Not to mention they weren't expensive. 

I never had a problem with the Bookstore's shipping and I ordered at least once a month for several years.  My experience with Vanguard has been far from satisfactory.
Serving since 1987.

Rotorhead

Quote from: Stonewall on May 28, 2009, 08:49:27 PM
Quote from: Rotorhead on May 28, 2009, 06:47:44 PMThis includes copies of regs and such, which meant you paid for them. Now they're available online for free.

Ever think that maybe the Bookstore had to sell copies of regs because they weren't available online at the time? 

Well, obviously.

The point is, I like downloading from the internet for free better--it is also faster--and have had no trouble ordering online with Vanguard.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott, AZ

jimmydeanno

You can request a catalog over the phone or in the showroom.  Unfortunately, they still say CAP Bookstore on them...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

ol'fido

Don't know about the regs but I miss the CAP related items like pens, notebooks, briefcases, coasters, etc. I also would have liked to order some of the historical pamphlets from Ragan, et al. Anyone making or selling these now?
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Rotorhead

Quote from: olefido on May 29, 2009, 02:40:53 AM
Don't know about the regs but I miss the CAP related items like pens, notebooks, briefcases, coasters, etc. I also would have liked to order some of the historical pamphlets from Ragan, et al. Anyone making or selling these now?

Vanguard sells the pens, notebooks, briefcases, etc.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott, AZ

RiverAux

Quote from: jimmydeanno on May 29, 2009, 02:15:55 AM
You can request a catalog over the phone or in the showroom.  Unfortunately, they still say CAP Bookstore on them...
Vanguard is sending out catalogs of current items with current prices under the CAP Bookstore name? 

SarDragon

Quote from: RiverAux on May 29, 2009, 03:16:13 AM
Vanguard is sending out catalogs of current items with current prices under the CAP Bookstore name?

AFAIK, no. They are sending out the remainder of the most recent Bookstore catalog, with (I think) discontinued items marked out. The item numbers are still mostly the same, and that's a big help.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

O-Rex

Quote from: MIKE on December 03, 2008, 02:36:27 AM

I heard a similar story: that they were no longer allowed to sell DRMO items, which was a sort-of conflict of interest for CAP.  CAP was also partnering with aircraft parts suppliers that were in competition with the Supply Depot (their actual bread-and-butter was aircraft parts...)

SarDragon

The story I got on the depot was that their markup was higher than allowed for the stuff they got from DRMO. Without that markup, they lost too much money for the operation to continue.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BrandonKea

Is there a way for us lay people to buy from DRMO?
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

SarDragon

Yes, but it's complicated, and usually more trouble than it's worth these days. It was a PITA 20 years ago, and has only gotten worse.

You have to go through a registration process. Then you can go online and see what's available at the various DRMO locations. Purchase is by sealed bid, and transportation of the purchased items is the responsibility of the buyer, with a time limit in place for removal of the goods.

The available items are usually in large lots, and getting rid of the "excess" items from the lots can be a hassle.

Caveat emptor.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jimmydeanno

Quote from: RiverAux on May 29, 2009, 03:16:13 AM

IIRC, the prices were included in an attachment in the middle of the catalog.  Vanguard kept the existing item numbers, so only new items wouldn't be included.  But yeah, it's the bookstore catalog...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Stonewall

In reference to Vanguard...

Click here for larger picture.

Yes, you see the exact same item listed twice.  One for the Air Force and one for CAP.  Only the one for CAP is about $6 more.  GO SCAMVANGUARD!!!
Serving since 1987.

alamrcn

Guess the Air Force doesn't need an alternative income like CAP...

Is that much REALLY going to National? That would be the only logical, although not reasonable, excuse for this. Maybe someone at Nat HQ should see this example at how our "exclusive" source is taking advantage of the membership.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

SarDragon

Copied from CS:

Quote from: SarDragonAfter eight successful orders, my opinion of their service remains high.

I just sent an email, with screen grabs of the two items, and a Q as to why the CAP item costs $6.20 more than the AF item. We'll see what I get back.

Quote from: SarDragonFollow up.

This was waiting in my in box this morning:

QuoteGood morning Major Bowles:

Thank you for your email regarding the price discrepancy on the Air Force and CAP belts You are correct, they are the same item. Please be assured that this  was an oversight on our part and has been corrected since we received your email.

In reviewing the pricing on the belts, I discovered two more.  Item CAP0991A was priced at $9.65 while the identical item 2500500 was listed at $13.70, and CAP0991I  was incorrectly listed at $13.30 instead of $14.80. Pricing on both of these items have been corrected and I have ordered a complete review of our web pricing to ensure that similar items have the  same pricing.

I really appreciate your bringing this matter to our attention. While you peruse our website, should you encounter and other disparity, I urge you to contact me for immediate action. I can be reached by email, phone, or fax as listed below.

Thank you once again for bringing this matter to our attention.

v/r

Charles A.G. Bostwick, Esq.
Director Elite Services Division
Civil Air Patrol & Honor Guard Programs
Vanguard Industries
1172 Azalea Garden Road
Norfolk, VA 23502
1-800-221-1264
1-757-857-0222 (fax)
bostwick@vanguardmil.com
The squeaky wheel does get the grease. A polite email fixed the situation. Maybe if more people did this instead of whining on here and CT, things might improve more quickly at Vanguard.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

alamrcn

Quoteshould you encounter any other disparity

On the website? Really? Oy vey...

Good responce from them though, thanks for posting it.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Major Carrales

Did you check out the "Great Civil Air Patrol APPROVED Shirts?"  I smirked a bit watching the NATIONAL SPELLING BEE that the word "guayabera," recalling its once standing as a CAP APPROVED SHIRT.  I believe the last catalog to feature on was the previous one to this.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

BrandonKea

Quote from: Major Carrales on June 03, 2009, 02:57:04 AM
Did you check out the "Great Civil Air Patrol APPROVED Shirts?"  I smirked a bit watching the NATIONAL SPELLING BEE that the word "guayabera," recalling its once standing as a CAP APPROVED SHIRT.  I believe the last catalog to feature on was the previous one to this.

Does anyone have pictures of the Guayabera shirt? I've never seen this thing. Also, what was the deal with Maroon Epaulets?
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

SarDragon

I think there's a graphic in one of my olde 39-1's. I'll see if I can scan and post it.

The phase-out date was 1 Jul '97, and wasn't in the 2000 catalog.

For the maroon business, search CS for berry board, or barry board, and read all about them.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major Carrales

Quote from: SarDragon on June 04, 2009, 06:47:37 AM
I think there's a graphic in one of my olde 39-1's. I'll see if I can scan and post it.

The phase-out date was 1 Jul '97, and wasn't in the 2000 catalog.

For the maroon business, search CS for berry board, or barry board, and read all about them.

I saw a few people with them back when I joined (that was 1998, so some people were obviously holding over beyond the date), however, I never got a pic of anyone in one.

If anyone has any pics of that I would like it for historical purposes.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

t9000gs

The link does not seem to work

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member