CAWG re: Burbank Angels

Started by Private Investigator, February 03, 2014, 07:47:50 PM

Private Investigator

Interesting message I got at NHQ.

An individual who used to belong to CA squadron 63 (CA-363) at the Hollywood/Burbank airbort in the 1970's. She wants to reconnect with some of his mates from back then, or find out what happened to them.

Does anyone know anything about it? Any connections to people on this board who might have been involved with it in any way?

Please PM me, or mention it here.

Message follows:

Can you help me find the name of my Squadron Commander and/or fellow members? We were known as the Burbank Angels, Squadron 63. It was an all-girls squadron during the 1970s in Burbank, California on the Burbank/Bob Hope Airport field. I would appreciate any leads, no matter how small. Thanks! -Lisa

AdAstra

Burbank Cadet Squadron 63 was deactivated about five years ago. I know a couple members who are still active in Southern California. And at a meeting last Fall, I was surprised to look over and see a member wearing a Squadron 63 patch! He has recently returned to CAP, and thought it would be a laugh to see it on his BDU.

Please invite Lisa to visit the California Wing Heritage https://www.facebook.com/CaliforniaWingHeritage page on Facebook. It's a good forum to ask questions and share information about Squadron 63.
Charles Wiest

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Private Investigator on February 03, 2014, 07:47:50 PM
Interesting message I got at NHQ.

An individual who used to belong to CA squadron 63 (CA-363) at the Hollywood/Burbank airbort in the 1970's. She wants to reconnect with some of his mates from back then, or find out what happened to them.

Does anyone know anything about it? Any connections to people on this board who might have been involved with it in any way?

Please PM me, or mention it here.

Message follows:

Can you help me find the name of my Squadron Commander and/or fellow members? We were known as the Burbank Angels, Squadron 63. It was an all-girls squadron during the 1970s in Burbank, California on the Burbank/Bob Hope Airport field. I would appreciate any leads, no matter how small. Thanks! -Lisa

If it helps any, the Squadron Commander was Major Barbara Ferguson from about 1970-71 or so until late 1973, when she went on to command Group One. Her replacement was Lt. Pat Smith, but I don't know who replaced her. The Squadron eventually became co-ed at some point.

They were unique. Besides being all-female, they were also a choral ensemble. They were really popular on the Group banquet and Wing conference circuit in CA - smiling faces, lively songs, what's not to like? (They did a particularly lively rendition of "Up With People.")

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Private Investigator

A all female Squadron, now that is something unexpected in CAP history.

I will pass on what I have.

Thank you gentlemen   :clap:

AdAstra

Maj / Lt Col Virginia Walworth was squadron commander for much of the 1990s and early '00s. I'd heard that she was an inactive member until fairly recently, but she's no longer listed as a member.

I never saw the "Burbank Angels" sing, but have several newspaper articles and photos featuring them. And looking for more. I vaguely recall seeing a video of a performance....

I just heard back from a male member in the era just before the squadron was deactivated. Waiting to see what info he has.
Charles Wiest

a2capt

When did CAWG/PCR institute term limits?
In reading through my unit history, I've come across notes where the then unit CC was getting pushed out due to term limits in 2000, after having served for over 4 years already.

In that context, "much of the 1990s" would sound like more than four years already.

AdAstra

CAWG introduced term limits in October 1999. Prior to that, a number of squadron commanders had served extended periods.

I just spot-checked several unit locators from 1990 to 2005. Lt Col Walworth's name came up repeatedly, but I can't confirm that it was continuous service.
Charles Wiest

BillB

All-female squadrons were not that unusual in the 60's and 70's. Florida Wing had three all-female ssuadrons (Cadet Squadrons). Two in Miami, and one in Ft. Lauderdale. The Miami All-Girls Squadron actually won several drill competitions
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

PA Guy

The Burbank Angels somehow talked NHQ into being allowed to wear mess dress during their performances.  After listening to Up Up with People a few times it lost its luster.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: PA Guy on February 06, 2014, 03:40:42 AM
The Burbank Angels somehow talked NHQ into being allowed to wear mess dress during their performances.  After listening to Up Up with People a few times it lost its luster.

That's an accurate way of stating it.

First time - "Imagine that! An all-female singing squadron! And so enthusiastic!"

Second time - "Oh, them again! I wonder what they'll sing this time? They were so lively last time on 'Up With People.'"

Third time - "Again? Don't tell me - 'Up With People?'"

Fourth time - "Uh....I'll be back in a few minutes..."

There were a lot of experienced "senior cadets" at many of those events (me included), diamonds, pips, encampment ribbons, who watched closely and listened to the reactions of the crowd. People 40+ loved the singing and, particularly, seemed to love "Up With People," which ended up with the girls clapping in rhythm as they sang, doing multiple conga lines through banquet table groupings, with them all in mess dress, as described - a uniform that the cadet officers were not permitted to wear. And it did get a bit grating to hear them referenced by MCs as "...some of our finest cadets, and great examples of what our program turns out..." when they were delivering song and dance rather than showing cadet achievement. Envy? Probably.

There was also the reality that it was a bit like units that focus on drill comp to the exclusion of most everything else. For most Squadron 63 members, CAP was only Squadron 63 and Squadron 63 was mostly choir practice and performances. It was rare to see their members at other activities. Considering the large size of the unit, the few that did participate in outside activities tended to stick out due to their rarity.

On the other hand - they did recruit members, they did give them the basics of the CAP cadet experience, they had great internal esprit de corps and the girls had fun.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Private Investigator

^ now that is so true and funny too   :clap:

Private Investigator

Quote from: AdAstra on February 03, 2014, 09:41:05 PM
Please invite Lisa to visit the California Wing Heritage https://www.facebook.com/CaliforniaWingHeritage page on Facebook. It's a good forum to ask questions and share information about Squadron 63.

I did forward the link to Lisa along with a 'cut and paste' with the comments from this thread.

MessDress

Having been a "token male" in Squadron 63 (under Barbara Ferguson) and Deputy Commander under Virginia Walworth, I can tell you the squadron was very involved in many group and wing activities, not just the conferences at which they sang. I know, because I chaperoned or drove the cadets to many of them. I have said over the years that watching over the young ladies at Sq 63 made me a better father.

The mess dress uniform was the standard uniform (I think the black jacket) worn with a specially made silver cummerbund and tie. No grade, medals (or ribbons) were worn by cadets on the uniform.

I don't remember "Up With People," but I vividly remember "Oh, Lord Chester."

As I recall, Sq27 in Glendale folded and was "absorbed" by Sq63 (thus making it co-ed), then Sq63 was eventually absorbed into Sq 137 (which still exists). Many years ago Sq 137 was a merge of Squadrons 130 and 7.

-- Marc Cohen, Lt Col, CAP
Deputy Commander, Los Angeles County Group One (CAWG)
Joined 1970, SMOV 1986, Eaker 2013

Private Investigator

This is the reply I received; It is always nice to hear a former Cadet did well and remembers CAP fondly.

Subject: Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Oh my gosh, that's right!! Barbara Ferguson, I recognized her name instantly. How very wonderful for you to have uncovered all this! I made it to Staff Sergeant in Squadron 63. We traveled around and sang at various functions. I was 15-16 yrs old then. Both my parents were in CAP, too, but back in Buffalo.

I remember Virginia Walworth, too; clearly before she raised in the ranks... I thought she was some of the girls' mother. I don't remember she was a member, too.

I went on to get my private pilot, single engine, high-performance, complex, and technically advanced ratings.

Thank you so very, very much for all this information and details. It was a fun and exciting time in my life.

Much appreciated,
-Lisa Granata