Civil War Era Airmen (including carrier operations)

Started by Eclipse, May 04, 2013, 10:38:48 PM

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

LCG8928

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/44493804/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/plans-confederate-flying-machine-are-sale/#.UYXbKrWG1r0

This is similar to that and probably the first theorized military aircraft. The plans ended up selling for $23,309 to an anonymous collector.

Maj Daniel Sauerwein

I'll say this that, as a reenactor myself, the gentleman discussing the balloon wagon needs to practice his script a bit, as he said "uh" a few too many times, giving me the impression that he was not initially prepared for the question, but I digress. Cool display though, but I wonder if they launched a balloon as part of the display.

On a side note, this reminds me of the Living History Squadron that portrays CAP in World War II, which is really cool. Don't you just love that blue wool ;).
DANIEL SAUERWEIN, Maj, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol

NIN

Quote from: Maj Daniel Sauerwein on May 07, 2013, 05:56:45 AM
I'll say this that, as a reenactor myself, the gentleman discussing the balloon wagon needs to practice his script a bit, as he said "uh" a few too many times, giving me the impression that he was not initially prepared for the question, but I digress. Cool display though, but I wonder if they launched a balloon as part of the display.

On a side note, this reminds me of the Living History Squadron that portrays CAP in World War II, which is really cool. Don't you just love that blue wool ;).

I did not get the impression he was a reenactor, but rather a guy dressed up. :)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Maj Daniel Sauerwein

Quote from: NIN on May 08, 2013, 12:55:18 AM
Quote from: Maj Daniel Sauerwein on May 07, 2013, 05:56:45 AM

I did not get the impression he was a reenactor, but rather a guy dressed up. :)

Hmm, never thought of that, though even if he's working for the Air & Space Museum, he is engaging in living history through the display. I can't see many shelling out what that equipment costs just to wear it and not reenact or do living history (unless it's purchased for a museum display).
DANIEL SAUERWEIN, Maj, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol

Bobble

I apologize, it seems as if I'm always heading a bit off topic, but I just can't resist.  Perhaps the first instance of air-to-air combat?

http://blog.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/2012/08/24/the-first-duel-fought-in-hot-air-balloons-paris-1808/
R. Litzke, Capt, CAP
NER-NY-153

"Men WILL wear underpants."