The Base Hangar Turning Out The Lights Historic Reflection

Started by RADIOMAN015, May 13, 2012, 04:38:42 AM

RADIOMAN015

It's always interesting and a bit spooky for me to be the last guy out of the base hangar and having to turn out the lights.  It's so quiet with maybe a bit of a sound of the wind blowing, or should I say the ghosts of past whispering.   Usually I'll stand there for a few minutes and reflect on the history --- So many military personnel came through this hangar during the various wars, including some POW's after the Viet Nam war.  Desert Shield/Storm saw personnel deploying from and than returning.   There's been countless numbers of chain of command ceremonies held in the hangar, and maybe some history that will never be in the public domain.     

Region utilize the hangar for SAR competition as well as the Color/Drill Team competitions.  The local CAP squadron utilize this hangar also for PT and drilling when the weather doesn't cooperate.   A picture taking in 1957 does show the hangar was in existence and likely it was the first large hangar built on the base, perhaps in the late 1940's.  I'll have to ask around. 

(BTW we are still trying to figure out when the local squadron was first organized and chartered, we think in the very early 1960's (1961/1962),   I thinking that perhaps the AF has some real property records somewhere that may show which organizations were utilizing which buildings OR perhaps a list of all units that were on base at the close of each year).
RM 

Huey Driver

Our squadron is based next to the main hangar (and only existing WWII hangar) at the ex- Naval Air Station Wildwood. For the few years that it was open, many airmen passed through and trained. 42 perished there in training. I too know the "last one out of the hangar at night" feeling.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

flyboy53

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 13, 2012, 04:38:42 AM
It's always interesting and a bit spooky for me to be the last guy out of the base hangar and having to turn out the lights.  It's so quiet with maybe a bit of a sound of the wind blowing, or should I say the ghosts of past whispering.   Usually I'll stand there for a few minutes and reflect on the history --- So many military personnel came through this hangar during the various wars, including some POW's after the Viet Nam war.  Desert Shield/Storm saw personnel deploying from and than returning.   There's been countless numbers of chain of command ceremonies held in the hangar, and maybe some history that will never be in the public domain.     

Region utilize the hangar for SAR competition as well as the Color/Drill Team competitions.  The local CAP squadron utilize this hangar also for PT and drilling when the weather doesn't cooperate.   A picture taking in 1957 does show the hangar was in existence and likely it was the first large hangar built on the base, perhaps in the late 1940's.  I'll have to ask around. 

(BTW we are still trying to figure out when the local squadron was first organized and chartered, we think in the very early 1960's (1961/1962),   I thinking that perhaps the AF has some real property records somewhere that may show which organizations were utilizing which buildings OR perhaps a list of all units that were on base at the close of each year).
RM 

Base Hangar on which base? Your description sounds a lot like Westover ARB, Mass., and if so, I may be able to give you some insight into your unit.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: flyboy1 on May 14, 2012, 11:32:05 AM
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 13, 2012, 04:38:42 AM

RM 

Base Hangar on which base? Your description sounds a lot like Westover ARB, Mass., and if so, I may be able to give you some insight into your unit.

He's from the Westover Squadron.  NER-MA-015
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill