CAP Historical Foundation & Permanent Collection Placement?

Started by RADIOMAN015, April 21, 2012, 09:47:59 PM

RADIOMAN015

Sure wish I had done more research before my talk on CAP last evening to a group.  The site http://www.caphistory.org/ does have additional information on the WW II era & even after.   Looking at the local locations where one can see CAP history, is this being kept up to date ???

Surprisingly there's no mention of any CAP exhibits at the Air Force Museum OR the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum, doesn't CAP have any permanent exhibits at these two museums, and if not why ??? >:(  Perhaps there's some history about not being successful with this ???

Also wasn't there a museum in Indiana that had a display.  Wondering also if anyone ever asked Evergreen Aviation Museum in Oregon to consider having a permanent display ???
RM

ElectricPenguin

bosshawk

I can vouch for its presence: I saw it about a year and a half ago.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

James Shaw

The Civil Air Patrol National Archives and the Civil Air Patrol Historical Foundation are seperate organizations. The CAP National Archives are stored in a climate controlled facility and have recenlty undergone a 100% inventory.

The CAP Historical Foundaiton does not "collect items", we simply try to help promote CAP History. The CAPHF does not have a "collection" we have items that are offered for donation that help support the CAPHF efforts.

CAPHF has a seperate Board of Directors.

We try to help answer CAP history related questions and promote CAP History through educational opportunities.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

flyboy53

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on April 21, 2012, 09:47:59 PM
Sure wish I had done more research before my talk on CAP last evening to a group.  The site http://www.caphistory.org/ does have additional information on the WW II era & even after.   Looking at the local locations where one can see CAP history, is this being kept up to date ???

Surprisingly there's no mention of any CAP exhibits at the Air Force Museum OR the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum, doesn't CAP have any permanent exhibits at these two museums, and if not why ??? >:(  Perhaps there's some history about not being successful with this ???

Also wasn't there a museum in Indiana that had a display.  Wondering also if anyone ever asked Evergreen Aviation Museum in Oregon to consider having a permanent display ???
RM

In answer to your question, the CAP display in Indianapolis used to be in the basement of the Soldier's and Sailor's Memorial. Regarding the Air Force Museum, there are three CAP aircraft there and it used to be the home of the National Hall of Fame (if I identified it correctly). Perhaps our headquarters people should enter into negotiations with the Air Force Museum to see if some semblence of a display can be placed there again. Otherwise, I would recommend contacting NHQ for a bibliography of different books that mention CAP and then bone up for some interesting reading. You can get one from the Historical Foundation. Others may be found through Amazon.com. Also do your own detective work, like CAP involvement in the Air Force's Ground Observer Corps.

Look for other CAP aircraft (some of them very historic) at other aviation museums, like the two on display at the New England Air Museum.

One of the new missions of the historical program is to inventory the stuff out there to give NHQ an idea of what is where...like the displays at the Jamestown, NY, airport.

Garp

The National Museum of Military History in Auburn, Indiana has a CAP historical aircraft display that General Courter helped open several years ago, as well.

a2capt

It's in the Presidential Hangar, not in the three that are "off" base. Saw it last year during NCC.

LTC Don

This one hangs in the gift shop at the Museum of Aviation, Robins AFB, GA -

There is also an excellent exhibit of artifacts at the Dare County Airport in Manteo, NC dedicated to Coastal Patrol Base 16.

It would be fabulous to see a permanent national museum somewhere.  CAP has flown quite a variety of aircraft it's own right over the decades so it wouldn't be all uniforms and pictures.

The Civil Air Patrol National Museum and Center for Aerospace Education  < Hmmmmm...........seems like something that could be set up in Washington, DC, but would take really big bucks.
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

AdAstra

Charles Wiest

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)