Main Menu

Uniform changes

Started by Nilsog, May 09, 2011, 04:17:59 AM

Nilsog

I was just wondering if anyone knew when the bright red epaulets and Civil Air Patrol propeller patch went away. Ive seen both on WWII era uniforms, but didn't know when they were phased out. I'd like to be able to wear the old patch, but I don't figure it will ever come back.
Kenneth Goslin
1st Lt., CAP

SarDragon

Wekll, there were actually three propeller patches.
The first had a blue disk, white triangle, and red prop.
The second had the white letters U S added under the triangle.
The third had a red rocker across the top with CIVIL AIR PATROL in white letters.
The wear of these ended in 1942, 1945, and 1955 respectively, when wing patches were implemented.

The third version came back in 1978 as the overseas cadet squadron 'wing' patch.

The red epaulets went away in Feb 1945.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Nilsog

What was the purpose behind eliminating the red epaulets?
Kenneth Goslin
1st Lt., CAP

SarDragon

My source doesn't go into that depth of detail. Apparently there was no longer a perceived need. They had to be sewn onto the shirts, and had varying shapes and color shades.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

The CyBorg is destroyed

In other words, it was a PITA to modify the uniforms for the red epaulettes.

I agree that adopting the current "overseas" patch CAP-wide on all uniforms would give us a strong link to that early history.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

BillB

Sardragon
I think the red epaulets went away in 1943. But I don't have the Col Morse Uniform Manuals in front of me to verify that. One problem reportedly with the red epaulets, it was confused with UK General grade insignia. Also the CAP NCO stripes with the red background were to close to the Marine Corp drade insignia.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

SarDragon

Quote from: BillB on May 09, 2011, 07:50:55 AM
Sardragon
I think the red epaulets went away in 1943. But I don't have the Col Morse Uniform Manuals in front of me to verify that. One problem reportedly with the red epaulets, it was confused with UK General grade insignia. Also the CAP NCO stripes with the red background were to close to the Marine Corp drade insignia.

I should have snatched up the set of Col Morse's manuals on eBay when I had the chance. My reference is Maj Ragan's Collector's Catalog from 1986. He credits Col Morse as one of his sources.

As an aside, I met Col Morse at a McDonalds in Maine in the early '70. Great lady. I was with a bunch of cadets on the way to/from an event.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BillB

Several copies of Col Morse's manuals were transferred from the Bookstore to Vanguard. They may still be hidden somewhere at Vanguard. I believe one of the mauals was sold out prior to the changeover, but some copies were transferred. That's not saying the remaining copies have'nt been sold
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Nilsog

Quote from: CyBorg on May 09, 2011, 07:02:02 AM
In other words, it was a PITA to modify the uniforms for the red epaulettes.

I agree that adopting the current "overseas" patch CAP-wide on all uniforms would give us a strong link to that early history.

That's pretty much what I figured. How could we go about suggesting that we wear the "overseas" patch again? I'd love to see worn on the left sleeve.
Kenneth Goslin
1st Lt., CAP

lordmonar

Submit a uniform change request up your chain of comman.  You wing CC will submit it to the NB/uniform subcommitee and they will take it from there.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: Nilsog on May 09, 2011, 01:07:43 PMThat's pretty much what I figured. How could we go about suggesting that we wear the "overseas" patch again? I'd love to see worn on the left sleeve.

No thanks.  The last thing we need to be doing is adding insignia.

One of the best decisions NHQ ever made was pulling the wing patches from blues shirts and jackets.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

^Wing patches, yes...some of them are downright ugly, not to mention impossible to sew on correctly onto the blues shirt.  The "overseas" patch is more attractive, part of our history and regular in shape.

I can see how the old pinks-and-greens with the red epaulettes could be confused with the Marine green service dress, but not as much as this:

Exiled from GLR-MI-011