Main Menu

The Coin Thread

Started by Stonewall, August 30, 2007, 05:08:47 AM

AlphaSigOU

The coin tradition has even extended to Freemasonry as well. Many Grand Masters will produce a coin to mark their year, sometimes with two different versions; one available for general sale to members and another personally awarded by the GM.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

DHollywood

Hey Lovebug!! Love that NESA DG coin!

There are some special subset rules that apply only to Rangers/Airborne and the like.

If you are a paratrooper who is coin checked by a paratrooper, ONLY an airborne unit or related paratrooper coin works.  Same thing for Batt Boys.

In airborne country, leg coins count for nothing.....

(Yes, I know this isn't airborne country.... but I only carry my 82nd Abn Division coin and leave the CAP coins at home.....)
account deleted by member

Lancer

Quote from: Slim on August 30, 2007, 06:04:16 AM
I gave another away later that day to C/A1C Crowe at the rappeling tower.  He had aborted on the rope twice with the instructors we were using.  The base fire dept was running the other tower for another youth camp at the same time.  The training officer and I went to talk to the chief about the cadet, and he agreed to run the cadet down their tower.  So, he took the cadet, spent about 20 minutes gearing him up, walking him around to see everything, then took him up the tower.  As he started up the tower, I told him that-if he came down the rope, I'd have something for him when he hit the bottom.  He came down that rope like a pro, with three flights of cadets (and quite a few seniors) cheering him on.  when he hit the bottom, I let his flight come and congratulate him first, then walked up and gave him a coin.  Again, the look on his face as he held it was just priceless.

A photo of the moment described above.  :)

I know, I know, I'll have all the photos on DVD for you at our wing staff meeting Slim.

Stonewall

Quote from: Eclipse on September 01, 2007, 02:45:37 AM
Quote from: Stonewall on August 31, 2007, 10:54:05 PM
I see you have the Ground Ops coin I created.  Did you buy it from me or get it from someone else?

I assume you're talking about the bronze SARDog?  I got it from Midway-6.  it was the first coin I received and gets carried to most ES ops with me, including Katrina - it definitely shows the wear and I cherish every nick.

I reimbursed him for the expense, and got a second one for my best CAP buddy - it sat in my uniform case for nearly two years until he finished his ground rating and I presented him with it.

Sorry, started back at work last night so I'm a little delayed in my reply.

Yep, talking about the SARDog one.  I had about 250 of those made and sold about 60 of them to cover the cost.  The rest were awarded to GTM types or those outside of CAP who supported us in some ES fashion.   I wish I had the money to only award them, so each and everyone had meaning.  I got really pi$$ed off when I saw one on eBay.  I'm pretty sure I made it clear that those who paid for them were to award them to deserving folks or to keep it for themselves.

One day when I'm rich, I'll do it the right way.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

My most important coin?

I probably have 3 that I would say rank up there pretty high.

1.  Sgt Major of the Army (Richard A. Kidd) coin was given to me when my buddy, a fellow former cadet turned Forward Observer (now a CW3 OH-58 pilot) went to the Pentagon when he visited me in DC and took ourselves on a tour.  While outside the office of the SMA he popped out, asked who we were and thought it was cool that on our off time we came to the Army's Corridor in the Pentagon to learn a bit of history.  He told us to never let us be caught without his coin.  About a month later I saw him getting his high and tight at the Ft. Myer PX.  I walked in to take a number and he recognized me.  He didn't know my name but he said "hey soldier, tell me you have my coin".  Roger that Sgt. Major, are you "coining me", I ask.  "[darn] right I am, he responded.  So when I asked to see his coin and he couldn't produce it, he asked me what I liked to drink.  I said, whatever you're buying Sgt Maj.

The next day, my 1SG calls my squad to his office.  "Bowden, what in the hell did you do that made the SMA want to see you and your squad at the Pentagon"?  I was shaking in my boots.  Later that day me and my squad go to the "Hall of Heroes" where the rest of the squad got his coin and I got a caffeine free diet coke.  He said that's all he had in his office.

2. Old Guard coin.  I truly earned it; blood, lots of sweat and maybe a tear or two.

2. 29th ID coin.  Yep, earned that one in Bosnia.

Honorable mention.

75th Ranger Rgt coin given to me in RIP as a motivator to recover from my injury and fight on to the Ranger objective....didn't happen.  Not being able to be on jump status will do that to you.

SERE school coin.  I bought it, but I starved, got hit a few times, and did a lot of learning to earn it.

World Bank PSU coin, which I helped design, was a real ball buster of a job but we did it very well and I think it's more of an honor and pride thing with that coin.

Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

Quote from: Stonewall on September 01, 2007, 09:02:42 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on September 01, 2007, 02:45:37 AM
Quote from: Stonewall on August 31, 2007, 10:54:05 PM
I see you have the Ground Ops coin I created.  Did you buy it from me or get it from someone else?

I assume you're talking about the bronze SARDog?  I got it from Midway-6.  it was the first coin I received and gets carried to most ES ops with me, including Katrina - it definitely shows the wear and I cherish every nick.

I reimbursed him for the expense, and got a second one for my best CAP buddy - it sat in my uniform case for nearly two years until he finished his ground rating and I presented him with it.

Sorry, started back at work last night so I'm a little delayed in my reply.

Yep, talking about the SARDog one.  I had about 250 of those made and sold about 60 of them to cover the cost.  The rest were awarded to GTM types or those outside of CAP who supported us in some ES fashion.   I wish I had the money to only award them, so each and everyone had meaning.  I got really pi$$ed off when I saw one on eBay.  I'm pretty sure I made it clear that those who paid for them were to award them to deserving folks or to keep it for themselves.

One day when I'm rich, I'll do it the right way.

Well, you don't have to worry about seeing mine on eBay, it was given and cherished in the spirit intended.

I have to agree it really hacks me when I see insignia and coins on eBay - not the generic stuff available anywhere, I'm talking about the local insignia or special coins made for specific occasions which people cast off for a few bucks like they meant nothing.

I've seen too many lately on eBay from things near me, and somehow one of my unit insignias wound up in on eBay for a sale from a guy in Canada.

"That Others May Zoom"

IceNine

I think that may be the Grp coin to game me a a couple years ago, I promptly put mine up on EBAY :D

Ok, Just kidding its sitting next to the one's I got from Gen. Anderson, and Bobick
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

SJFedor

Quote from: DHollywood on September 01, 2007, 06:21:25 PM
Hey Lovebug!! Love that NESA DG coin!

There are some special subset rules that apply only to Rangers/Airborne and the like.

If you are a paratrooper who is coin checked by a paratrooper, ONLY an airborne unit or related paratrooper coin works.  Same thing for Batt Boys.

In airborne country, leg coins count for nothing.....

(Yes, I know this isn't airborne country.... but I only carry my 82nd Abn Division coin and leave the CAP coins at home.....)

Smithers, you need to put up a few pictures of some of your coins. As I remember, you have some really sweet ones!

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Cecil DP

I generally don't collect coins (No promotion points-only brownie), therefore only have six.

General Abazaid's CentCom Coin, twice
Reserve Policy Forces Board (Awarded by Col. Harvey Barnum, CMH)
Joint Chiefs ofStaff coin
Sergeant Major of the Army National Guard
The Adjutant General of the Army's coin

Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

baronet68

I had a WAWG coin produced a few years ago:

To get the most bang from our buck, we had the identical design made in 4 different finishes for specific uses
Bronze - For sale to anyone
Antique Silver - For sale only to McChord Squadron members
Chrome - McChord Squadron Commander's coin
Gold - WAWG Commander's coin
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

LeoBurke

Quote from: Slim on August 30, 2007, 06:04:16 AM
This past summer, I was the vice commander at the GLR-N encampment.  This was my second year in the post, and really wanted to make a conscious effort to get out amongst my troops (cadet and senior).  One element of my leadership style is that I like to show the troops that I care about them, that I'm not afraid to get dirty with them, etc.

One of the ways I did this was to make a small investment at the BX on Monday morning.  I bought six generic, Air Force core values coins.  I kept one for myself, and carried the other five in my pocket.  I chose that particular coin because I like to think that I live up to those values.

On Monday night, while talking with a good friend of mine, a Lieutenant Colonel in the Canadian Forces, who was here as director of our RCLS.  Listening to him talk about his passion for leadership, and his dedication to a program that isn't officially his, I decided that he deserved one.  So done.

On Wednesday, I was observing his students on the confidence course, and asked him who was number one in the point standings, as well as embracing the teamwork that our RCLS instills in it's students.  He called C/2nd Lt Millard over, and I gave him a coin.

While there, I also observed a cadet who was so small he couldn't find BDUs to fit, and he only had one set.  His flight commander had loaned him his spare shirt that day (this shirt fit the cadet like a GP medium), I'm guessing he was about 12.  Watching the joy on this cadet's face as he completed obstacles, and kept saying that he couldn't believe he had done it was incredible.  So, I asked around and found out who he was (C/Amn Birch, from OHWG), and what flight he was in.  I caught up to him at lunch the next day.

As I sat down and asked him a few questions, if he knew who i was and what I did at encampment, stuff like that.  I told him how much I enjoyed watching him on the confidence course, and that was what kept me involved in CAP.  I told him I wanted him to have something, and slid the coin from under my arm.  Seeing the look on his face, and his reaction to it was just incredible.  While I didn't intend it, everyone in his flight saw what happened.

I gave another away later that day to C/A1C Crowe at the rappeling tower.  He had aborted on the rope twice with the instructors we were using.  The base fire dept was running the other tower for another youth camp at the same time.  The training officer and I went to talk to the chief about the cadet, and he agreed to run the cadet down their tower.  So, he took the cadet, spent about 20 minutes gearing him up, walking him around to see everything, then took him up the tower.  As he started up the tower, I told him that-if he came down the rope, I'd have something for him when he hit the bottom.  He came down that rope like a pro, with three flights of cadets (and quite a few seniors) cheering him on.  when he hit the bottom, I let his flight come and congradulate him first, then walked up and gave him a coin.  Again, the look on his face as he held it was just priceless.

All in all, I'd have to say that that was the best $30.00 I ever spent on a CAP activity. 

(By the way, I ended up giving my personal coin to a very good friend of mine who's attending a state military college, and going to commission into the Army after graduation, with two stipulations:  if anything happens to this person, I want it back, and I didn't ever want it back.)

Personally, I have four in my possession:  an original Alpena CRTC coin given to me by a former base commander, a CAP ground ops coin (one of Dan Pace's) compliments of swami114 on CS, a Team Coast Guard coin from ADM Allen (then commander of 9th CG District), and my most prized coin is from 7th SF group-unengraved, and given to me by the son of one of my high school teachers (who was a WO in the 7th).

That is why Slim rocks!  He remembers lottsa old stuff too....

I'm going to dig mine out - cause I gotta out do NIN.

Leo
Leo Burke, Michigan

/\/\/\   The Spaatz award is over-rated.  Get yours and prove it.  It's Half the
\/\/\/   Mitchell, Half the Earhart, write a paragraph and run around the block!

LeoBurke

Before I left for IACE (Belgium) I got ten "USAF Auxiliary - Civil Air Patrol" coins off ebay.  Got the back side engraved "Belgium - IACE - 2007"  Past out to the key folks, my host families, significant Belgian military folks along the way. 

But these our my favorite personnel coins.  First off, long ago (mid 90's) two separate National commanders awarded me the original "Phoenix Coins".  The first was awarded at the same time as (Now MI Wing CC) then Lt Col Mike Saile.  I get the second one awarded, come back to the table and slap it down, "There you go Mike, two to one.  I'd like a rum & coke"   Only to have him called up tot he podium three seconds later.  After receiving his second coin, he walked back set it down on the table next to mine and said "While you're up, I'll have a beer."

Earned the rest of these in CAP. 

1.  National Vice CC, BGEN Amy Courter.  This will be worth money when she upgrades hers to the second star.
2.  Major General Hank Morrow, USAF, Commander AF North/First Air Force.  Awarded for the AFNORTH/1stAF 2006 Mission of Distinction (Aircraft Commander)
3.  MI ANG Command Chief MSgt Michael Dalton, Support of GLR North Encampment.
4.  CRTC (Combat Readiness Training Center) Alpena.  Awarded by Col Sansom, Base CC.  More importantly my favorite place in the whole world.  This little piece of land outside Alpena, MI, holds my fondest memories - many of them CAP related.
5.  Most important.  You know all Spaatzen can get the coin with their number (this is not my number).  This one has number 655, the number earned by the finest officer I have ever had the pleasure to serve with. 

Leo Burke, Michigan

/\/\/\   The Spaatz award is over-rated.  Get yours and prove it.  It's Half the
\/\/\/   Mitchell, Half the Earhart, write a paragraph and run around the block!

Slim

Quote from: LeoBurke on September 05, 2007, 11:59:33 PM
4.  CRTC (Combat Readiness Training Center) Alpena.  Awarded by Col Sansom, Base CC.  More importantly my favorite place in the whole world.  This little piece of land outside Alpena, MI, holds my fondest memories - many of them CAP related.

Couldn't agree with you more on that one.  My CRTC coin came from Col (now MG) Cutler, and the originals didn't have the color enamel inlays.

Quote from: LeoBurke on September 05, 2007, 11:59:33 PM
5.  Most important.  You know all Spaatzen can get the coin with their number (this is not my number).  This one has number 655, the number earned by the finest officer I have ever had the pleasure to serve with. 

You know, I've probably told myself a hundred times that I was going to order a coin with his number on it.  One of these days I just might get around to doing it.  Kinda cheesy to order it myself, I know, but it would be nice to have something besides some awesome memories and a few fading photos....

Slim

LeoBurke

Monica has the most raggedy ass beat up looking Spaatz card I have ever seen.

His daughter spent the weekend with us.  Trust me.  He lives through her.  I have never met a more stubborn, pig headed, encouragable child in my life.  I am one of ONE people that she will obey.  Chelle will call me and put her on the phone so Uncle Leo can explain the rules....

She's gotten better with time.   But I see him in her eyes.  Especially when I know she's doing something wrong, and she knows that I know.

I never carry his coin.  Just leave it there on the shelf to remind me to get my stuff together now and again. 

Leo Burke, Michigan

bosshawk

I may have one or two that not many on this thread have:

Assistant Secretary of Defense, POW/MIA affairs
OV-1 Mohawk Association
224th Military Intelligence Battalion, 18th Airborne Corps
Military Intelligence Corps Association
Central Intelligence Agency
US Veteran, The Viet Nam Wall
Lockheed Martin, Big Sky Ranch

Until this thread came out, didn't even know that CAP had coins.

Interesting!!!!!
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

davedove

I've only got a few:

Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (given as part of my going away after having worked there for 14+ years)
DoD Global Emerging Infections System (for my financial support of the project - the only award I ever got at someone else's going away)
Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Army (P&P) (for my support in setting up a conference) - this is a really nice coin, I'll have to see if I can get a picture

And a few I bought myself:

Department of the Army
US Army Finance Corps
US Army Veteran

Now, where can I find some CAP coins.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

isuhawkeye

QuoteNow, where can I find some CAP coins.

:'( EBAY  :'(

DrDave

While I have several coins I've purchased (we are in B-2 country out here near Whiteman AFB), I'm most proud of the only one I've ever received -- mainly because I had a small role in it's design and my respect for its designer:

The Missouri Wing CAP coin

Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

Pylon

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Stonewall

You know, Air Force Enlisted Forums has their own coin.  You get it for donating to help support the site.

A CAP Talk coin would be cool, no?
Serving since 1987.