New ribbon ideas?

Started by usafcap1, November 19, 2014, 08:57:46 PM

flyboy53

Concur with consolidating the PD ribbons into one with the appropriate devices to reflect achievement.

Otherwise can we stop dreaming up more ribbons. They don't really mean anything -- unless you get something that translates to a real medal or decoration.

Майор Хаткевич

PTSD ribbon - for special assignments to special units for short term leading to long term anxiety.

pierson777

Recruiter Ribbon - Combine the cadet recruiter ribbon and senior recruiter ribbon into one ribbon, and have the same number of recruits required to earn the "recruiter ribbon".  Cadets that earn it continue to wear it if they transition to senior member.

Cadet Special Activities Ribbon -  Change the name to Special Activities Ribbon or maybe National Special Activities Ribbon.

Leadership Ribbon - Change it to the Level II Benjamin O'Davis Leadership Award Ribbon instead of getting it for earning a specialty track rating (which doesn't really seem to be 'leadership').  After all, you get a badge already when you finish a tech rating, but you don't get any 'bling' for completing level II.  You could still add the stars to the ribbon for senior and master ratings.

Ribbon for Squadron of Merit/Distinction - It could be the same ribbon: basic ribbon for Squadron of Merit, bronze star for Region Squadron of Distinction, and silver star for Natl Squadron of Distinction.  Often, units get one of these awards and receive a banner and a certificate, but the members don't get any wearable recognition like when the unit earns a Unit Citation.

kwe1009

Quote from: pierson777 on November 21, 2014, 04:53:56 AM
Recruiter Ribbon - Combine the cadet recruiter ribbon and senior recruiter ribbon into one ribbon, and have the same number of recruits required to earn the "recruiter ribbon".  Cadets that earn it continue to wear it if they transition to senior member.

Cadet Special Activities Ribbon -  Change the name to Special Activities Ribbon or maybe National Special Activities Ribbon.

Leadership Ribbon - Change it to the Level II Benjamin O'Davis Leadership Award Ribbon instead of getting it for earning a specialty track rating (which doesn't really seem to be 'leadership').  After all, you get a badge already when you finish a tech rating, but you don't get any 'bling' for completing level II.  You could still add the stars to the ribbon for senior and master ratings.

Ribbon for Squadron of Merit/Distinction - It could be the same ribbon: basic ribbon for Squadron of Merit, bronze star for Region Squadron of Distinction, and silver star for Natl Squadron of Distinction.  Often, units get one of these awards and receive a banner and a certificate, but the members don't get any wearable recognition like when the unit earns a Unit Citation.

All great ideas.  I do believe that there should be a single PD ribbon with devices for each level.  That is how it is done in the Air Force.  It would help clean up the rack.

I don't like getting ribbons for something that I get a badge for too either.  It really doesn't make sense. 

JC004

Quote from: Eclipse on November 20, 2014, 04:08:49 PM
^ In this case, I don't see the actual issue in the text, so I am assuming there was a stolen valor or similar issue
at play.

Unless CAP pulls a FOIA request on every military equivalence promotion, there's not much it can do but request
substantiation and accept members' word, insuring that spidey sense is on full power. 

Should CAP do that, along the same lines as an academic institution requesting a copy of a transcript directly from another academic institution?  That's standard practice for a university.  It seems increasingly easy, with current software technology, to fudge a DD214 or certificates.  I bet I could forge a really good DD214 using information available freely online, if I were into stealing valor.

Quote from: pierson777 on November 21, 2014, 04:53:56 AM

I generally like those concepts.  I really would like to see something sorted out with the leadership and Crossfield ribbons.

LSThiker

Quote from: JC004 on November 21, 2014, 06:32:25 AM
I generally like those concepts.  I really would like to see something sorted out with the leadership and Crossfield ribbons.

I think the Crossfield ribbon needs to be phased out.  You already earn the "master" badge and the silver star on the ribbon.  There is no reason to earn any extra ribbon when you are already authorized to wear two other items that designate the same thing on the same uniform.  By the way, I have the Crossfield ribbon as well. 

In addition, I would remove the Yeager ribbon or at least add some additional requirements to it.

I would combine the recruiter ribbons

Special Activities Ribbon vs Cadet Special Activities Ribbon, eh just a name change.  No real value to it.

I would also suggest combining the Senior Member PD levels into one ribbon with attachments.

I would remove the CAC ribbon from the Senior Member wear list again.  I wear my NCAC ribbon but do not really understand why that was added in the first place. 

I could go either way with combining the NCC and NCGC ribbon.

I would eliminate the command ribbon now that former commanders can wear the Command Insignia Pin permanently.

MIKE

Not too long ago the Leadership Ribbon and associated stars for rating levels was all there was for a good chunk of Specialty Tracks... until they added the ugly Clip Art badges.
Mike Johnston

Shuman 14

QuoteConsolidate the five ribbons acquired during professional development into one award with a numerical device. 

An excellent idea and would conform with the Army and Air Force NCOPD Ribbons concepts.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Shuman 14

Quote from: Bobble on November 20, 2014, 01:56:49 AM
Since you asked ...

A Patron Membership ribbon, aka the Shuman Award.

;D  :clap:

While I see your humor and enjoy it, it's actually not a bad idea.

I don't know how many Patrons add, drop-off and/or rejoin each year but giving them a small token (like a ribbon/medal and a certificate) might (coulda, woulda, shoulda) stimulate renewal and maybe even stimulate some new patronage.

If that adds too much for processing costs, raise the patronage dues to say $35-40 USC to cover it.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

DoubleSecret

Quote from: GroundHawg on November 20, 2014, 12:03:14 AM
I actually would suggest getting rid of a few ribbons instead of adding them. At least they allow cadets to short stack now which is a start I guess.

I wish seniors had that option as well.  Dual military/CAP adds up.  If one's ribbon rack rivals that of a USAF 4-star, to me it looks "off."  Yes, even if earned and properly worn, there comes a point where we just look overdecorated.  Then there's mess dress:  I've seen folks whose miniature medal rack cost more  than the rest of their mess dress. 

But hey, I'll just do me :)

Майор Хаткевич

You don't have to wear military uniforms on a CAP uniform...If it's too much, why not wear CAP ribbons on a CAP uniform?

11.1.1.1. Ribbons and devices are mandatory with the USAF-style Service Dress (Class A)
and USAF-style Semiformal uniforms, and optional with the USAF-style Blue Service Uniform (Class B)
and Corporate-style Aviator Shirt Uniforms. When ribbons and devices are worn, all authorized ribbons
will be worn on USAF-style uniforms, except:
11.1.1.1.1. Officers and NCOs. On the USAF-style uniforms, all ribbons, badges,
and devices worn by adult members must fall below the top notch of the collar on the service coat or the
bottom tip of the collar of shirts/blouses when those are worn without a service coat. Individuals may
choose which ribbons to eliminate to meet this requirement, but are encouraged to initially remove CAP
professional development ribbons to reach the required height. (Note, CAP aviation and chaplain badges
remain mandatory for wear on USAF-style uniforms and ribbons may need to be removed to meet this
requirement.)
11.1.1.1.2. Cadets. Cadets may choose to reduce the height of their ribbon bar by
removing all cadet achievement ribbons but their highest Cadet Program achievement ribbon. All other
earned CAP ribbons and devices must still be worn.

The CyBorg is destroyed

I know I have suggested this before, and there have been divergent opinions on what constitutes a "USAF civilian," but a lot of our awards could be consolidated into/replaced with DOD civilian awards.

Membership Ribbon - no need for it, as it's almost concurrent with getting handed (yes, I use the word "handed") your butterbars.

Civilian Air Medal - self-explanatory; we should be awarded this because we got the military version in WWII.  Could be awarded where life and limb are truly at risk.

Civilian Aerial Achievement Award

Civilian Award for Valour: replaces both levels of CAP Medal for Valour.

Air Force Exemplary Civilian Service Award Medal; replaces CAP Distinguished Service Medal

Air Force Meritorious Civilian Service Award Medal; replaces CAP Exceptional and Meritorious Service Award Medals

Air Force Civilian Achievement Award Medal; replaces both Commander's Commendation and Achievement Award

All right, I know this is never going to happen, and many are going to say "we're not Air Force civilians," et. al...but, then, what are we?  We are the Air Force's Auxiliary, and as has been pointed out, we are governed by several AFI's, especially where uniforms, personal conduct, etc. are concerned.  Others are going to say "we don't need those, we have our own awards," which is a circular argument since many are saying we need to not have as many medals!

I am saying consolidate/replace a few of our own with those that do have higher standards.

But, if there's one thing I've learnt over 20-odd years of CAP, it's that the status quo is nearly impossible to change.  So this is a flight of fancy.  Go ahead and fire your virtual AIM-120s.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

LSThiker

Quote from: CyBorg on November 21, 2014, 08:18:19 PM
I know I have suggested this before, and there have been divergent opinions on what constitutes a "USAF civilian," but a lot of our awards could be consolidated into/replaced with DOD civilian awards.

Regardless of whether or not we would qualify, I do not think this would be a good idea.  The approval level for some of these awards are pretty high.  The valor is the Secretary of the USAF.  Our Valor is at least the CSAG and even that can be a challenge to get approved.  The Meritorious Award is MAJCOM Commander or above.  At least the way it stands now, a CAP Meritorious Service Medal only requires a RG/CC.  Can you imagine how long it would take for the approval of some of these?

Storm Chaser

lordmonar

Quote from: LSThiker on November 21, 2014, 09:04:16 PM
Quote from: CyBorg on November 21, 2014, 08:18:19 PM

Regardless of whether or not we would qualify, I do not think this would be a good idea.  The approval level for some of these awards are pretty high.  The valor is the Secretary of the USAF.  Our Valor is at least the CSAG and even that can be a challenge to get approved.  The Meritorious Award is MAJCOM Commander or above.  At least the way it stands now, a CAP Meritorious Service Medal only requires a RG/CC.  Can you imagine how long it would take for the approval of some of these?
A lot less time then you would think.  And a whole lot less of them disappearing into the a black hole somewhere.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

GroundHawg

Quote from: DoubleSecret on November 21, 2014, 05:23:14 PM
Quote from: GroundHawg on November 20, 2014, 12:03:14 AM
I actually would suggest getting rid of a few ribbons instead of adding them. At least they allow cadets to short stack now which is a start I guess.

I wish seniors had that option as well.  Dual military/CAP adds up.  If one's ribbon rack rivals that of a USAF 4-star, to me it looks "off."  Yes, even if earned and properly worn, there comes a point where we just look overdecorated.  Then there's mess dress:  I've seen folks whose miniature medal rack cost more  than the rest of their mess dress. 

But hey, I'll just do me :)

Exactly. When I add my CAP and military ribbon racks, I look ridiculous. Even when you deduct ribbon only awards, my mini medal rack would cost around $250, and that is before the rack and mounting costs. Im just not prepared to drop that kind of coin on something that I may wear annually or bi-annually.

JeffDG

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on November 20, 2014, 12:19:14 AM
I would actually favor a ribbon if someone can find a photo of a CAP member berating a member of the military for not saluting. Maroon with gold and silver stripes. Devices for multiple photos...

:-X

There's already a form to request this award:  CAPF 2B

LSThiker

Quote from: lordmonar on November 21, 2014, 09:35:43 PM
A lot less time then you would think.  And a whole lot less of them disappearing into the a black hole somewhere.

I would disagree as it would still need to go through the channels and through those black holes.  Just to get the Meritorious Service to the CAP-USAF/CC, it would need to go through Wing, Region, and National just for him to signoff.

Luis R. Ramos

Jeff,

I do not think you read the initial message correctly.

Why should you 2b someone that found a photo of another member berating an airman for not saluting him?

In other words, the one that should be 2b is the one in the photo, not the member finding the photo!
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

MisterCD

One could also put forth a request for those DOD civilian employees to be eligible to wear military unit citations, campaign ribbons, etc. earned in a civilian capacity. At present these are not authorized for wear with CAP ribbons.