Better get used to the BDU - and some thoughts (rant?)

Started by zooompilot, May 18, 2014, 05:07:07 PM

lordmonar

The deal with war........sure we can all be enlighten new age touchy feelie types.   But last time I checked the world is not populated by enlightened touchy feelie types.

I would love to be able to sit down at the table and talk out our differences with the Taliban.  Al Qaeda.  Boko Horam.  North Korea. 
In fact I know we have offered to sit down with all these organizations.......not seeing it happen though.

In the mean time......the most trusted military organization  in the world is on the job.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

a2capt

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

CAP_truth

Cadet CoP
Wilson

umpirecali

Quote from: JoeTomasone on May 20, 2014, 06:01:25 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on May 20, 2014, 06:05:34 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 19, 2014, 10:02:23 PM
It no longer provide USAF affinity or affectation.

It never did link us to the Air Force as there was and is not any thing on this uniform that says "Air Force".  If anything, the BDU linked us just as much to the Army and Marines as the Air Force. 

-----

True, CAP never officially asked for the ABU, but I believe that if the AF actually cared about us being their Auxiliary they wouldn't have waited for us to ask, they would have just authorized it when they authorized as a routine thing after it became generally available.

The BDUs link us to the military in the eyes of the general public, not necessarily the Air Force.   The blues, perhaps a different story depending on the level of knowledge of service uniforms Mr. or Mrs. Public happens to have.   

A (particular) uniform, to me, serves two purposes:

1. Identifies you as a member of a given organization.
2. Serves to keep those members identifiable as a team.

In our case, I prefer to be identified with the military for a few reasons.  First, it sets the right expectation in the minds of the public, since we are a military auxiliary and are organized and commanded along those lines.   I think that the BBDU sets the wrong expectation - that we are either police or USCG.    I know that on some late-night UDF missions, I'd rather be seen as military and NOT police, since there's less of a threat conveyed to those who might have an issue with the police.  Who doesn't love the military?

Second, it sets a more positive professional frame of mind with the military that we work with when we are in a recognizable uniform.  Imagine what your average USAF member must think when they see someone whom they are told is with the USAF's auxiliary but wearing a USCG uniform (BBDU).   Regular BDUs merely say that we are behind the times.   ABUs would seal the deal psychologically.

I can understand USAF not relegating the BDU to a Corporate uniform status since it IS so indelibly linked to USAF/the military in the eyes of the public.   However, I think that would be a decent solution - ABUs for the USAF-style uniform, and BDUs for the Corporate style uniform, and ditch the BBDU entirely.

I don't come on here much because I find CAPtalk doesn't mirror the rest of CAP.  People here obsess about uniform regs and how much the air force cares about us.  I honestly really don't care about how much the air force likes us, disses us, or is indifferent.  That is not why I am in CAP.  I have been here for two years, and in that time I have gotten a lot of good training, a renew interest in aviation, and the change to serve my community. 

I have had the opportunity to participate in one real-world rescue and I was wearing the BBDU's at the time.  While carrying the man down the mountainside in the litter, I didn't stop for one second and say to myself, "I hope I get a medal out of this" or "I really wish I could be wearing the regular BDUs like everyone else", or "this is stupid, the air force doesn't even appreciate what I am doing".  I was thinking about helping the man with broken leg get to the hospital.

I am proud of my awards, ratings, and accomplishments, and wear them with pride, but I didn't join CAP so I could wear a certain uniform.  Personally I think BDUs are kind of silly because they are woodland cammo, and we spend most of our time in the woods, but want people to see us.  So, we put reflective vests over our nametapes, patches, and badges.  Kind of counter-productive.  I think seniors should have one dress uniform and one utility uniform.  Let the cadet keep on what they are doing, but have the senior wear practical SAR uniforms.

Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander for Cadets

LSThiker

Quote from: umpirecali on June 04, 2014, 07:31:31 PM
Let the cadet keep on what they are doing, but have the senior wear practical SAR uniforms.

So why should not cadets wear practical SAR uniforms?  Are not they also doing the same SAR work?

umpirecali

I guess they could. Cadet don't have multiple uniforms, so I'd hate to create complexity where simplicity exists.  Plus senior have more $$.  I was just addressing the 8 some-odd uniforms seniors can wear (I'm sure someone here will point out another), which defies the word uniform.

Polo, blues, gray/white, bdu, bbdu, flight suit, blue flight suit, and blazer
Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander

abdsp51

LSThiker

Quote from: umpirecali on June 05, 2014, 01:56:08 AM
I guess they could. Cadet don't have multiple uniforms, so I'd hate to create complexity where simplicity exists.  Plus senior have more $$.  I was just addressing the 8 some-odd uniforms seniors can wear (I'm sure someone here will point out another), which defies the word uniform.

Polo, blues, gray/white, bdu, bbdu, flight suit, blue flight suit, and blazer

Not true.  Cadets over the age of 18 are required to wear gray/white and BBDUs if they do not meet the weight standards. 

umpirecali

Quote from: abdsp51 on June 05, 2014, 01:59:12 AM
Not all seniors have an interest in SAR.

Well that uniform would work well for AE also.
Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander

Eclipse

The much hated / exalted golf shirt / tactical pants combo fulfills 95% of the need for 95% of CAP missions, including
95% or SAR, including, but not limited to:

Everything AE.

>ALL FLYING< ALL. Every flight, in every wing.

All unit meetings, staff meetings, round tables, drill practices, IACE, flight academies, SLS/CLS/UCC/TLC/RSC/NSC, National board meetings, commanders calls, planning meetings.

99% of NCSAs

99% of encampment activities.

It is also the preferred dress for a significant number of other agencies that CAP works with on
even a semi-regular basis, especially most EMAs, FDs, and a lot of LEAs.

Anything more is affectation, or clothing worn outside of its intended purpose, which is the antithesis
of a mission-focused uniform.  This isn't going to change, because form is clearly more important then
function, but the sooner this is understood and accepted, the better for everyone's mental health.

"That Others May Zoom"

PA Guy

Quote from: Eclipse on June 05, 2014, 07:49:51 PM
The much hated / exalted golf shirt / tactical pants combo fulfills 95% of the need for 95% of CAP missions, including

Everything AE.

All unit meetings, staff meetings, round tables, drill practices, IACE, flight academies, SLS/CLS/UCC/TLC/RSC/NSC, National board meetings, commanders calls, planning meetings.

99% of NCSAs

99% of encampment activities.

It is also the preferred dress for a significant number of other agencies that CAP works with on
even a semi-regular basis, especially most EMAs, FDs, and a lot of LEAs.

Anything more is affectation, or clothing worn outside of its intended purpose, which is the antithesis
of a mission-focused uniform.  This isn't going to change, because form is clearly more important then
function, but the sooner this is understood and accepted, the better for everyone's mental health.

You need to get out more and preface your absolute statements with they are just your opinion.

Eclipse

Nothing above is disputable.

None of the activities indicated require anything more then a golf shirt and tac pants.

Somehow the rest of the world, and most other similar organizations, especially those
that include youth memberships, camp, fly, drive, and basically live in jeans and a t-shirt,
adding a collared golf shirt on more formal days.

Uniforms have their place and purpose.  But since CAP doesn't actually have a uniform,
we should stop kidding ourselves about the reasons most of the multiform exists, or the reasons
members wear what they do when they do.

The golf shirt / tac pants combo is all anyone needs anything else is optional, and generally
worn for affectation or affinity, not mission purpose.

"That Others May Zoom"

PA Guy

Quote from: Eclipse on June 05, 2014, 08:19:00 PM
Nothing above is disputable.

Listen up CAP world Eclipse has spoken. Thanks for making my case.  With your absolute, black and white, linear thinking you must be a joy to work with.  Carry on with your bullying bluster.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Eclipse, are you trying to put us all in golf shirts?

That won't fly with a lot of members, me included...I've never owned one and don't plan to.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on June 05, 2014, 07:49:51 PM

Not in California Wing. And we have a supplement to back it up too.
CAWG Supplement to CAPR 60-3, 24 Aug 12.  Para 1-11 c