Better get used to the BDU - and some thoughts (rant?)

Started by zooompilot, May 18, 2014, 05:07:07 PM

Shuman 14

Quote from: lordmonar on November 12, 2014, 06:36:20 AM
There is a difference between the "USAF says no" and "AFGSC says the Security Forces within my command will wear them".

IF.....IF....army transitions to everyone in the new combat camo.....which at this point they are not going to do.....then the USAF will follow suit.  Until then "special" units and commands will continue to do what they have always done......what ever they wanted.

With today's budget....the DoD is NOT going to start a new joint "find the combat patter" effort.  Not this week.

But I believe there was a Bill passed by Congress that requires all Services to adopt a single combat camouflage uniform by 2018 http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/house-approves-measure-to-have-military-branches-share-one-camouflage-pattern/2013/06/14/017700f6-d4ff-11e2-bc43-c404c3269c73_story.html???
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Eclipse on November 12, 2014, 08:42:05 PM
Seriously.  I didn't intend to reopen the debate again, only add new info on the ongoing sage.

But the only purpose camo BDUs served was service affinity, which is no longer the case. Otherwise, the
are a safety issue and mission detriment, and if any change is considered, whatever it is, it needs to
recognize that CAP is in the SAR business not the SERE business.

I agree. The woodland BDU is not practical for wilderness GSAR or UDF missions.

I wore the CAP blue jumpsuit back in the late 80s/early 90s and, in some ways, it was more practical than the current BDU.

I would prefer something like this, though:

I like the navy blue BDU, but a color like this would be more practical for SAR.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Eclipse on November 12, 2014, 10:43:34 PM
That's what we >used< to wear.

That's what I said. I also said it was more practical than today's uniform.

Eclipse

No. The flight suit is also what we used to wear.
I still have mine.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

I know. They were available in blue and orange, IIRC.

I just meant that I prefer the flight suit over the jumpsuit 

Eclipse

Orange is pre-me.  They were in the Bookstore catalog as discontinued.

$185 some buckos for mine, thing still looks like new.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Storm Chaser on November 12, 2014, 11:32:13 PM
I know. They were available in blue and orange, IIRC.

I just meant that I prefer the flight suit over the jumpsuit

Those were still available in the CAP bookstore catalogue when I joined.

Ultramarine is supposed to be "our" shade of blue...except for flags, guidons etc., the USAF doesn't really use it much anymore, so I agree with the ultramarine zoom bag.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

AirAux

CAP Blue Jumpsuit is much more comfortable flying in Florida than flight suits.  Also looks a little less military.

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Maj Daniel Sauerwein

Found an interesting article about AFJROTC in Fargo, ND and the phase out of woodland BDU's for that program and the costs involved.

http://www.valleynewslive.com/story/27370155/fargos-afjrotc-in-need-of-money-new-uniforms#.VGQg95dQGXk.facebook

While AFJROTC has a different relationship to the AF than us, this is interesting and raises some considerations for our organization in terms of the desire among some to request wear of ABU's for CAP.

While I wear the distinctive uniforms due to being out of H/W, I do think we need to keep the woodland BDU's, or, if we're ever authorized them, ABU's for cadet retention, as young people identify with those combinations better in terms of the military aspect.

One thing that I found interesting was that the nuclear missile launch crews had blue coveralls similar in shade to our blue BDU.
DANIEL SAUERWEIN, Maj, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Maj Daniel Sauerwein on November 14, 2014, 04:26:23 AM
While AFJROTC has a different relationship to the AF than us

You said a mouthful there, Sir.  One is the favoured son, one is not.

Quote from: Maj Daniel Sauerwein on November 14, 2014, 04:26:23 AM
One thing that I found interesting was that the nuclear missile launch crews had blue coveralls similar in shade to our blue BDU.

Easily available on EvilBay.  I have a set that I use for my flight/utility jumpsuit.  Same cut and colour, and the quality is worlds better.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

PHall

Quote from: CyBorg on November 14, 2014, 06:33:49 AM
Easily available on EvilBay.  I have a set that I use for my flight/utility jumpsuit.  Same cut and colour, and the quality is worlds better.

You brought a CAP uniform from a source other than Vanguard?  Report to Hawk Mountain for your reeducation training! >:D

a2capt

Maj Daniel Sauerwein

Quote from: CyBorg on November 14, 2014, 06:33:49 AM
You said a mouthful there, Sir.

You are correct Hauptmann, just trying to walk that fine line and not ruffle feathers ;).

QuoteOne is the favoured son, one is not.

I will say that your assessment of JROTC being the favored son may be due to JROTC being an easier recruiting tool for the AF by being in the high school (access to potential recruits). How many CAP squadrons meet in schools versus those that do not? How many cadets leave CAP during high school? We are a completely extra-curricular activity in most cases (exceptions being the school program squadrons), while JROTC blurs the line, as there are extra-curricular components, but it is also part of their course schedule.

JROTC was established via the National Defense Act of 1916, so it is inherently going to have a closer relationship to the parent service than CAP.

CAP's relationship to the AF is rooted in its founding during WW2, with specific missions that JROTC would not have likely been tasked for at that time. Though which AF commands we have fallen under have changed and gone from general officers overseeing us to a colonel, I feel this reflects more on the situation faced by the AF than how it feels/does not feel about us as an organization. When we fell under ACC, keep in mind how much bigger the AF was than it is now.

I will say that I feel our cadets are allowed to do much more (provided they meet the required training for it) than a JROTC cadet. Ultimately, we are two different groups with two different missions.

DANIEL SAUERWEIN, Maj, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: PHall on November 15, 2014, 03:43:46 AM
You brought a CAP uniform from a source other than Vanguard?  Report to Hawk Mountain for your reeducation training! >:D

Is that like the reeducation camp set up at the drive in movie in Red Dawn (the original; I haven't bothered to see the remake), sir?

Quote from: Maj Daniel Sauerwein on November 15, 2014, 07:20:05 AM
You are correct Hauptmann, just trying to walk that fine line and not ruffle feathers ;).

Danke, Herr Major.  Actually, not specifiying which was which in terms of "favoured son" was my way of trying to walk that fine line and not ruffle feathers. :angel:
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Toth

So the fact that all of the military branches is changing to one uniform begs the question, will we get that uniform? ... probably not.
SM Toth Mendius, CAP
C/CC RMR-MT-053 (ret.), RMR Ass't Rep NCAC (ret.)
Mitchell #65174, Earhart #17361
GES, ♦ICUT, ♦FLM, GTM3, UDF, SET, MS, MRO, EMT, *GTM2

Garibaldi

Quote from: Toth on November 19, 2014, 04:27:44 PM
So the fact that all of the military branches is changing to one uniform begs the question, will we get that uniform? ... probably not.

Will the new uniform comply with directives set forth by our leaders for CAP use? No
Will the uniform be readily available within the next 5 to 10 years through DRMO or other sources, to us? No
Is there a need for another uniform for CAP that has zero use for us, such as the ABU? No.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Al Sayre

Quote from: Garibaldi on November 19, 2014, 05:09:42 PM
Quote from: Toth on November 19, 2014, 04:27:44 PM

Will the new uniform comply with directives set forth by our leaders for CAP use? No
Will the uniform be readily available within the next 5 to 10 years through DRMO or other sources, to us? No
Is there a need for another uniform for CAP that has zero use for us, such as the ABU? No.

Will the new uniform be available for open purchase by any civilian on the interwebs two weeks after it's issued to US Forces?  Yep...

Can I haz the green boots? >:D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

vento

^^^ Don't be silly Colonel. Green boots will only be authorized for the Hawk Mountain Super Rangers.