Better get used to the BDU - and some thoughts (rant?)

Started by zooompilot, May 18, 2014, 05:07:07 PM

ColonelJack

Quote from: Storm Chaser on August 14, 2014, 12:15:32 PM
I don't think the Air Force is stopping CAP from improving the corporate "service" uniform, as long as it remains distinctive. And they've already determine that our current uniform is distinctive enough. The issue with the CSU is more complicated. I don't think will see something like that in a long time, but who knows?

Here's where I feel an issue still needs to be addressed.  Obviously the CSU issue was more complicated.  But why make it obsolete so quickly?  What caused a member of the old NEC to recommend (and the rest of the NEC to agree) that the CSU needed to be done away with?  I accept the fact that it's gone.  And I agree that even knowing why it happened won't bring it back.

But I - and many other members who invested $$ in the uniform - still deserve to know why it was canned.  And why won't anyone just answer the question?

And if the Aviator Grays are improved upon with a cap and service coat, I know many members (myself included) who will shell out the $$ for the improvements.  We'd just like to have that option.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Storm Chaser

I don't disagree and that's something our leadership may have to address at some point.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Actually, it isn't the grey trousers I've suggested changing; just standardising on a cut/shade that matches the shoulder marks/nameplate.

It's changing the white shirt to a blue Van Heusen aviator shirt.  Different shade of blue to the Air Force shirt and exact same cut/material as the white one.

ColonelJack, we will never be told the reason the CSU was disallowed.  My own opinion is that it was part of a quasi-purge to get rid of all things P****a, but that's just speculation.

Emendation: I don't think it's the Air Force stopping any changes to the G/W kit.  I think it is CAP being too fearful in the aftermath of the CSU to even propose anything but the status quo to the AF.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

The answer to this entire problem is enforcing the uniform regulations fully at all levels.

There is no incentive to fix things if you feel empowered to just ignore the rules.

If Gen Vasquez enacted mandatory weigh-ins for USAF-Style uniforms this weekend,
CAP would have one coherent uniform before he left office.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Eclipse on August 14, 2014, 02:28:34 PM
The answer to this entire problem is enforcing the uniform regulations fully at all levels.

There is no incentive to fix things if you feel empowered to just ignore the rules.

If Gen Vasquez enacted mandatory weigh-ins for USAF-Style uniforms this weekend,
CAP would have one coherent uniform before he left office.

Not sure I follow you.

Mandatory weigh-ins would certainly eliminate not a few members from the AF-type uniform.  I know some myself.

But how would that solve the problem of a bog-ugly (my opinion), colourless "corporate" uniform?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

Quote from: CyBorg on August 14, 2014, 08:43:54 PMBut how would that solve the problem of a bog-ugly (my opinion), colourless "corporate" uniform?

It might not, and that isn't really my concern, I have no particular issue with the whites and blues field uniform.
Wearing >a< uniform, whatever that turns out to be, is.

Though if >everyone< was forced to wear the grays, including those to whom wearing blue is so important
they publicly sacrifice their credibility and integrity, there would likely be more pressure and pleading to the USAF
to put everyone in blue.  If nothing else, the grays would certainly have the missing pieces added to complete the full uniform.

Either way, problem solved.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

LOOK!

We're married to the idea of BDUs forever...so....you better get used to the idea!

/monty python quote
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

The CyBorg is destroyed

I have a full set of blues in my closet, but I currently do not wear them as I am out of H/W standards.  I could wear them, but I would be noncompliant.

I also have the G/W uniform, both S/S and L/S, which I avoid wearing whenever I can, as I feel like a goofball wearing it (I do not own a blazer).  However, when I do wear it, it is clean, pressed and with all proper badging in place (I only wear my wings, rank and nameplate on the S/S; I have my ribbons and speciality track insignia on the L/S).

However, I do like the BBDU's and blue flight suit, which is what I wear when I am not required to wear the G/W.

I think there could be pressure and pleading to high heaven but the USAF will not budge on H/W standards.  I really do not see the reason to be noncompliant in grooming standards, except for religious reasons.  I had longish hair and a beard before I last rejoined CAP.  When I rejoined CAP, I got out the razor and went to the barber shop.

What parts do you believe are "missing" to complete the "full uniform?"  I just want to see how your list corresponds with mine.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

http://www.afgsc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123423443

"9/4/2014 - BARKSDALE AIR FORCE BASE, La. -- Security Forces Airmen at three Air Force Global Strike Command bases, as well as those in the 620th Ground Combat Training Squadron serving at Camp Guernsey, Wyoming, will soon be fielding new personal gear and sporting a new camouflage pattern uniform."

"The Operation Enduring Freedom Camouflage Pattern, called OCP and commonly referred to as MultiCam, is currently used by U.S. troops deployed to Afghanistan and will become the standard pattern used by Security Forces at AFGSC's missile wings and Camp Guernsey. OCP, which uses smooth lines and a six-color palette, has been identified by the Department of Defense as being more effective in a variety of environments than the four-color, pixelated camouflage patterns currently in use by the Air Force and Army. "

So much for "only over there".  If the clock is not set on the death of the ABU, someone needs to plug it in...

Security Forces Airmen perform a training patrol at Minot Air Force Base, N.D.
The Airman on the left is wearing an OCP (MultiCam) uniform, where the Airman on the right is wearing ABUs.
(U.S. Air Force Courtesy Photo)

http://www.airforcetimes.com/story/military/pentagon/2014/11/11/nuclear-changes-global-strike/18859293/

Interestingly, the first story above is only a day apart from this one.  http://www.military.com/daily-news/2014/09/03/air-force-says-no-to-new-camouflage.html

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Your mistake is trusting Military.com as a "source".  Military.com is a "National Enquiror" type of source.
Interesting, but nothing you would trust.

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on November 12, 2014, 05:14:00 AM
Your mistake is trusting Military.com as a "source".  Military.com is a "National Enquiror" type of source.
Interesting, but nothing you would trust.

The main article cited is an AF.mil source.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

There is a difference between the "USAF says no" and "AFGSC says the Security Forces within my command will wear them".

IF.....IF....army transitions to everyone in the new combat camo.....which at this point they are not going to do.....then the USAF will follow suit.  Until then "special" units and commands will continue to do what they have always done......what ever they wanted.

With today's budget....the DoD is NOT going to start a new joint "find the combat patter" effort.  Not this week.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

LSThiker

The articles are not contradicting each other.  The AFGSC says "the Security Forces will wear them" and the Military.com article says "most Airmen will wear the ABUs".  Therefore, the AFGSC Security Forces are not part of the "most Airmen will wear ABUs" concept.  Nevertheless, at some point in the future when the Army has all Soldiers wearing the OCP (2018), the USAF will probably require all Airmen to wear the uniform also.

Luis R. Ramos

Quickly!

Someone bring a bat, the horses are still moving!!!

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

My point was that a uniform that was going to be "only over there" is, within a few months, "now over here".

It's only a matter of time now before someone says "Whatever, just give them all OCP as they wear out existing uniforms."
(I know, it won't be that simple...)

Quote from: lordmonar on November 12, 2014, 06:36:20 AMWith today's budget....the DoD is NOT going to start a new joint "find the combat patter" effort.  Not this week.

They don't need to, it's clearly already been decided, though it will be interesting to see if the Republican takeover changes
the 2018 uniform mandate, as they were pretty much against it in the House.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

I wonder why we cannot agree on a field/combat/work uniform for all five services.  As I've said, when my Army ex-brother-in-law first got his BDU's, he told me it was intended for a standard uniform for all the services.

Australia just came out with a new duty uniform for the RAAF...but it is noted as not being a camouflage uniform.  Documentation says it's meant to show the colours of the sky, the RAAF ensign, etc.

RAAF airmen deployed to field/combat zones will continue to wear the standard Disruptive Pattern Camouflage Uniform.

Wouldn't that "blue" camouflage look good for CAP? ;D  It would certainly be "distinctive."

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Luis R. Ramos

Augh no!

Blue and Green clash! So cannot go into the woods to search someone! Find me something in bright orange, even fuchsia!

:angel:
Squadron Safety Officer

Eclipse

Seriously.  I didn't intend to reopen the debate again, only add new info on the ongoing sage.

But the only purpose camo BDUs served was service affinity, which is no longer the case. Otherwise, the
are a safety issue and mission detriment, and if any change is considered, whatever it is, it needs to
recognize that CAP is in the SAR business not the SERE business.

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

Squadron Safety Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on November 12, 2014, 08:43:16 PM
Sere? Please explain. Not being funny now.

SERE = Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape

"That Others May Zoom"