Main Menu

New 39-1

Started by alexalvarez, October 24, 2013, 01:06:18 AM

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on December 08, 2013, 07:00:22 PM
Your local Walgreen's can take a decent ID photo in 5 minutes.

No, they can't. The photographer is a High School Junior working in the evenings, using a 3-5 year old point-and-shoot, and can't even get them NOT to be blurry. My passport picture is complete crap.

Quote from: ol'fido on December 08, 2013, 07:07:28 PM
The manual will come out when the manual comes out. Complaining about delays is just futile wailing and gnashing of teeth. Granted, I on occasion see violations of the current manual when I go to activities. Most, if not nearly all, are small, easily correctable problems that the member was unaware of the regulation or the member had not noticed that something had "moved" on their uniform such as ribbons shifting on the holder, nameplates losing pinch clips, etc. I do not frequently see the "egregious" uniform violations that are apparently rampant in some areas given the stories I see on here.

Seen at the ILWG Conference yesterday - a Cadet Captain, a bunch of bling, and a wing patch on service coat. :)

Eclipse

^ You might consider the source material may be an issue.

Gotta love the wing patch - takes the time to attach the cord, misses the patch.
Where are his adult leaders?

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

That appears to be an old type service coat, that is infinitely authorized for cadets. Perhaps someone never took the patch off and it's still being interpreted that the patch should be on there, since it was on there with the regulation that setup that service coat.

Майор Хаткевич

Sure. The one Earhart cadet in the state who doesn't know how to wear a Service coat? This never came up? He has more than one encampment clasp.

Panache

Quote from: cap235629 on December 08, 2013, 06:29:22 AM
So no changes, just new photos.  Got it

While I will admit disappointment that they're just starting to take pictures now, I think we all knew (or strongly guesstimated*) that there were no changes coming to the AF-style blue uniforms and, I assume, the G/W's (other than being allowed to wear more qualification pins on the white aviator shirt).  I'm hoping that the use of the blue flight cap and earned military ribbons will be authorized with the G/W's, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

(* Oddly enough, my spell-checker is telling me that "guesstimated" is a legitimate word.)

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Panache on December 10, 2013, 08:58:34 AM
I think we all knew (or strongly guesstimated*) that there were no changes coming to the AF-style blue uniforms and, I assume, the G/W's (other than being allowed to wear more qualification pins on the white aviator shirt).  I'm hoping that the use of the blue flight cap and earned military ribbons will be authorized with the G/W's, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

I believe you to be correct, and in the aftermath of the CSU, the powers-that-be are even more entrenched in "no-change-is-best-change."

Other than what people have said about the ABU, I don't look for any changes to the AF uniform, nor to the H/W/grooming standards.  I think that the general attitude throughout CAP is "what we have now isn't what we had before 1990, but it's a lot better than the berry boards."

I see no changes in the aviator kit...again, in the aftermath of the CSU.  I believe NHQ, the NUC, whoever, believes that a "corporate" uniform has to be so vastly different from the AF uniform that they're going to keep it exactly as is: looking like a colourless mall cop/security guard in shirtsleeve order, and like a Realtor with the blazer.

I personally would have liked to have seen a civilian blue shirt replace the white shirt, with a more airline-cut service coat, and a civilian wooly-pully, but they didn't ask me.

I doubt very, very much that the flight cap would ever be authorised for anything but the USAF uniform, though paradoxically it is authorised for the blue flight suit (and there is NO difference between that and the blue utility suit, except fabric).  I also used to see it worn with the "smurf suit" way back in the day, though I don't know if it was actually authorised.

If anything, the West Point grey cap made by Bernard Cap would be better, for consistency at least, but I don't see that happening either.

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

dwb

Quote from: a2capt on December 10, 2013, 03:27:09 AM
That appears to be an old type service coat, that is infinitely authorized for cadets. Perhaps someone never took the patch off and it's still being interpreted that the patch should be on there, since it was on there with the regulation that setup that service coat.

There was a period of time, I distinctly recall this, where there was ambiguity on whether the Wing patch was supposed to remain on the old-style service coat. Whoever rushed out wrote the ICL failed to mention that coat, so we genuinely didn't know what to do.

This became an issue when a cadet with the old-style coat had a Wing-level review board to attend. I read all the ICLs, went through all the meeting minutes I could find, and I didn't have a good answer. So I told her to leave it on. Then she got dinged in the review board for wearing it.

I sprung into action, E-mailing the review board all the ICLs and meeting minutes and my thought process and walked them through why there was no clarity on the issue and why the cadet should not have been marked off for NHQ's failure to think before they published. I won that round. :)

Of course, that was years ago, and the ICL guidance that has come out since then has been pretty clear on the matter. A cadet in 2013 has no excuse for not knowing. Especially a cadet officer who should be learning to read the regs for themselves.

Panache

Quote from: CyBorg on December 10, 2013, 09:24:32 AM
If anything, the West Point grey cap made by Bernard Cap would be better, for consistency at least, but I don't see that happening either.

You know, I'm going to wear this hat one day with my G/W's just to see what sort of reaction I get.

(Disclaimer: yes, I know I'll be in the wrong.)

TexasCadet

That looks like something the WWII Luftwaffe would wear.

Luis R. Ramos

The Luftwaffe uniform was a light blue. Some call it Blue-Grey but was more blue than grey.

Also the uniform of the Army was called Field Grey but was more green than grey.

In any event, USMA cadets have been wearing grey uniforms including that cap. Are you saying that West Point cadets wear German-styled uniforms?

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

TexasCadet

Quote from: flyer333555 on December 10, 2013, 01:31:21 PM

In any event, USMA cadets have been wearing grey uniforms including that cap. Are you saying that West Point cadets wear German-styled uniforms?

Flyer

No, I said this.

Quote from: TexasCadet on December 10, 2013, 01:15:38 PM

I did not say this.

Quote from: TexasCadet

That looks like something West Point cadets would wear.

Panache

Quote from: TexasCadet on December 10, 2013, 01:39:36 PM
I did not say this.

But it is something West Point cadets wear.

Al Sayre

Oh no!  Somebody might confuse us with West Point Cadets in low light conditions... >:D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

TexasCadet

Quote from: Panache on December 10, 2013, 01:55:24 PM
Quote from: TexasCadet on December 10, 2013, 01:39:36 PM
I did not say this.

But it is something West Point cadets wear.

Exactly. However, I never said the West Point cadets look like the Luftwaffe. This is what I said.

Quote from: TexasCadet on December 10, 2013, 01:15:38 PM

Luis R. Ramos

Yet that is what you are implying...

Someone that knows West Point cadets wear those hats, and I am sure other military academy cadets as well, will think of them wearing those hats when you say wrongly that it looks like something the Luftwaffe would.

Because the Luftwaffe never wore that color...

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

NIN

So... that new 39-1... no grey flight caps.  West Point, Luftwaffe or otherwise.

Just saying
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

196 comments on a reg that has yet to hit the street!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

TexasCadet

I am not implying anything, except the fact that I thought it looked like something the Luftwaffe would wear.

Luftwaffe uniform:

Hat:

Very similar color.

If saying "That looks like something the Luftwaffe wears." means that West Point cadets look like the Luftwaffe, consider this. If someone had a sword, and I said it looked like a samurai sword, would that mean I called them a samurai?

ReCAP

Are you calling the patient "stupid", Doctor Bob?
Are you calling the patient, Stupid Doctor Bob? 

Luis R. Ramos

Look at the colors.

The blouse is bluer than the hat!

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer