Main Menu

New 39-1

Started by alexalvarez, October 24, 2013, 01:06:18 AM

jeders

Quote from: NIN on December 06, 2013, 11:28:29 AM
Then again, when I first moved here, I went to a wing conference and was in a group having a conversation in the lobby. The wing commander of the wing immediately to our south was standing there edging behind the CAP guy across from me, like he was hiding.

I finally said "Sir, what are you doing?"

He says "I want to be out of the line of fire when the buttons on that service coat your're wearing let go.."

I was *mortified*.

I went home, joined Weight Watchers on that following Monday.  To be fair to him, I was 11 lbs over the weight limit for my height, and that service coat (old style) was probably a size too small.

But man, what a great way to handle it, Colonel. NOT.

You owe me a new keyboard and another cup of hot chocolate.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

ColonelJack

Then again, when I first moved here, I went to a wing conference and was in a group having a conversation in the lobby. The wing commander of the wing immediately to our south was standing there edging behind the CAP guy across from me, like he was hiding.

He says "I want to be out of the line of fire when the buttons on that service coat your're wearing let go.."

I was *mortified*.

I went home, joined Weight Watchers on that following Monday.  To be fair to him, I was 11 lbs over the weight limit for my height, and that service coat (old style) was probably a size too small.

Agreed, Darin ... the Colonel's handling of the situation left a bit to be desired.  (That being said, not having been there I wouldn't know if the Colonel was being sarcastic, funny, or hurtful - no way to read the tone of the comment.)

I have a similar story that triggered my weight loss.  I went to my niece's wedding a few years back in uniform (her fiancee was in the Air Force and it was a military-themed wedding - my brother-in-law was retired AF and he asked me to be there in uniform, and I was my squadron commander so it was okay with me  ;) ) and my service coat was a bit tight...the cleaners had shrunk it, right, that's what happened.  Nobody was hiding from my buttons popping but I did notice one young fellow doing a rather good job of mocking the way I looked.

I didn't wear my blues after that, not until I lost weight.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Storm Chaser

I was *mortified*.

It worked, didn't it? ;)

Майор Хаткевич

Off to Mexico tomorrow so I'm sure since I got the rep for being a uniform fascist, it will come out while I'm gone...making me the last to know...

Eclipse

Part of the issue in both stories is being overweight and not wearing clothes of the proper size.

Far too many of our members think they can still wear their cadet uniforms, and are too cheap to consider the
next size up, and the same goes for, and in some cases is worse for corporates.

A big part of looking sharp is simply wearing clothes that fit properly and if they shrink, replace them.

I love all the photos of guys wearing BBDUs which have clearly shrunk, especially the shirts, and
are now at least a size too small, assuming they ever fit properly, as if it's a non-issue.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Storm Chaser on December 06, 2013, 02:22:04 PM
It worked, didn't it? ;)

Yep. I ordered aviators right after that, too, and did not get back into service dress until I got a properly sized "new style" service coat a number of months later and I was under the weight for my height.

In my case, it was not paying attention to my weight ("I thought I was OK.."), and having a service coat that was nearing the end of its operational life.

And yes, the good colonel was not really sarcastic. More like biting.  He was known being kind of abrasive like that.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Walkman

Quote from: Eclipse on December 06, 2013, 04:03:05 PM
Part of the issue in both stories is being overweight and not wearing clothes of the proper size.

Far too many of our members think they can still wear their cadet uniforms, and are too cheap to consider the
next size up, and the same goes for, and in some cases is worse for corporates.

A big part of looking sharp is simply wearing clothes that fit properly and if they shrink, replace them.

I love all the photos of guys wearing BBDUs which have clearly shrunk, especially the shirts, and
are now at least a size too small, assuming they ever fit properly, as if it's a non-issue.

I'm right on the edge of this. I'm a few pounds safe on H/W and my BDUs fit well, but the last time I wore my service dress it was noticably tighter. Not button's ready to fly tight, but I'm sure people could tell. So faced with the choice of spending bucks to get the next size up or losing 8-10 pounds. I'm choosing to drop the weight. Luckily with the holidays our schedule doesn;lt have the next blues night until the end of January, so I have some time to work on it.

I did buy a bigger size flight suit, though. I was doing aircrew training and the guy I was teaching with is very fit and I realized when I saw myself next to him that my bag didn't look right. The next size up looks much, much better.

I struggle to stay below H/W. I have a polo combo I wear for those times I pigged out for a little and go over. I weight my self pretty regularly to make sure I'm not out of regs.

Майор Хаткевич

Eclipse

I don't think it would be possible to more perfectly encapsulate the totality of the situation discussed
in this and related threads then what is said in and by that graphic.

I'm literally at a loss.

This must be what Indy felt like when he actually found the Grail.
You're seeing it, you know it's real, but your brain just can't process its existence.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Too funny. Pegged it. On the nose.

Al Sayre

Well, there's your chance to be immortalized. (or at least decade-ized based on the mean time between updates >:D)
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Spaceman3750

CAP doesn't have a lock on the whole H/W issue. I was at a fly-in once where I saw a ARNG Blackhawk pilot about ready to split open what I'm assuming was the biggest green bag he could find. As for me, I'm perfectly happy in my BBDUs and G/Ws. It means that I can keep my network administrator goatee/I hate shaving beard (sometimes present, sometimes not) and I can keep eating this delicious Jimmy John's cookie.

NIN

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on December 07, 2013, 05:50:22 PM
CAP doesn't have a lock on the whole H/W issue. I was at a fly-in once where I saw a ARNG Blackhawk pilot about ready to split open what I'm assuming was the biggest green bag he could find. <snip>

Those poor T700s.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PHall

Quote from: NIN on December 07, 2013, 07:41:12 PM
CAP doesn't have a lock on the whole H/W issue. I was at a fly-in once where I saw a ARNG Blackhawk pilot about ready to split open what I'm assuming was the biggest green bag he could find. <snip>

Those poor T700s.

More like those poor gearboxes! :o

NIN

Quote from: PHall on December 07, 2013, 09:41:06 PM
Quote from: NIN on December 07, 2013, 07:41:12 PM

Those poor T700s.

More like those poor gearboxes! :o

They keep the guy around so they can do topping checks without having to climb too high.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

NCRblues

In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

TexasCadet

a2capt

Yay. Yellow hotel lighting. ;)

cap235629

So no changes, just new photos.  Got it
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé