Will Civil Air Patrol get DCU or ABU?

Started by KERALA, March 18, 2012, 01:28:18 PM

bflynn

Quote from: phirons on March 19, 2012, 05:01:05 PM
Quote from: bflynn on March 19, 2012, 02:22:37 PM
It's a split function -

The most efficient uniform for recruiting is one that is recognized as a military uniform because boys (and some girls) like to play Army.

The most effective uniform for field work is completely different...blaze orange would be great.

Two different functions, two different needs.

Two different uniform standards would seem to be indicated.

Someone recently mentioned member costs need to be a major factor in any uniform changes. So now our ground ES mission would require a 2nd set of uniforms. I wonder how the suggestion to eliminate the green flight suit for ES would go over.

I'm certainly not in favor of multiple uniforms.  It's expensive enough getting just one as I know first hand.

Perhaps a modification of the uniforms?  Require orange safety vests in the field?  Change the top of the uniform to something else, an optional blue t-shirt maybe?  Allow more variety of various equipment for a field exercise vs drill? 

I know safety vests are already used, but I've also see ground teams not using them.  Otherwise I think allowing variety will permit members to do what helps them in the field, rather than to be constantly worrying about uniform standards instead of operations.  I've always believed that you never can choose "best" for someone else because you don't know them that well.  They have to make their own choice of best.

jeders

Quote from: bflynn on March 19, 2012, 05:48:11 PM
I know safety vests are already usedrequired, but I've also see ground teams not using them. 

Fixed that for ya. In the case of orange vests, this comes down to GTLs not knowing/enforcing the rules within there team and GBDs not enforcing the rules on GTLs.

As for camo vs anything else, we've beaten the horse to death so many times that it's not funny anymore. What works to make someone stand out in one part of the country makes them blend in somewhere else. And that includes orange. So since we are the AF Aux, even if only at certain times, let's just keep using their uniforms as a base. It seems to have worked well for the last 70 years, no reason to think it won't work in the future.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

bflynn

Quote from: jeders on March 19, 2012, 05:53:43 PM
As for camo vs anything else, we've beaten the horse to death so many times that it's not funny anymore.

In my experience, a symptom of unsolved problems are that they keep coming back around.

jeders

Quote from: bflynn on March 19, 2012, 05:55:20 PM
Quote from: jeders on March 19, 2012, 05:53:43 PM
As for camo vs anything else, we've beaten the horse to death so many times that it's not funny anymore.

In my experience, a symptom of unsolved problems are that they keep coming back around.

And in this case, the problem is that there is no one universal answer. So you just go with the best alternative, which in this case seems to be to switch to ABUs at the Air Force's convenience and maintain the outward appearance of being the AF Aux.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

vento

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on March 19, 2012, 01:23:36 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on March 19, 2012, 01:21:14 AM
We have squadron ball caps at our unit.
Could you upload a picture? I haven't seen one either.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=243807025629672&set=a.243805662296475.72179.243788755631499&type=3&theater

Here you can see the pilot wearing a squadron ball cap for SQDN 87 and the cadets wearing the ball caps of SQDN 714.

Eclipse

Not exactly a photo that should have been posted at all.

"That Others May Zoom"

bflynn

cadetesman

I was down at the local army navy store today, buying a new BDU blouse, as I have lost 40 lbs  :D :D :D.

Anyways, there were VERY few BDU blouses there....the guy said that the companies have ramped down production dramatically, and that they have to be bought online essentially...I got the only one in there that was medium regular.

A year ago when I was down there they had a ton, new and used....but now only a few used.

Pants are still plentiful.

But really, I've wondered, what is the big deal about giving it a 5 year phase in....by then we will all need new uniforms, BDU's will be gone, and ABU's will be just as cheap as BDU's are.

Problem solved.

Spaceman3750

I think the problem here is folks viewing surplus stores as a legitimate supply source instead of what it is - a convenient, military-themed thrift store. Saying "we need to switch because I can't find them at the surplus store" is about as silly as me telling my boss "I shouldn't have to wear slacks to work because I can't find any my size at Goodwill".

That said, I think we should switch because of the "total force" concept - we should look like our parent service.

cadetesman

Fair enough, I was wrong, and you're right.

Guess I was looking at it through the wrong lens.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 19, 2012, 08:39:06 PM...we should look like our parent service.

Or at least like we all came in the same car...

"That Others May Zoom"

Perez

[/quote]
Awesome, especially considering that the wear of grade insignia on ball caps is specifically and explicitly prohibited.
[/quote]

I'm with you on that one. That's something a lot of past members have tried to address to no avail. Eventually wing sent a memo out and the insignia finally stopped. Thankfully I'm not with that unit anymore.
Train hard, train smart, and love life.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Eclipse on March 19, 2012, 09:02:40 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 19, 2012, 08:39:06 PM...we should look like our parent service.

And if we get a field uniform, it will muddy one of our most public images.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Perez

Quote from: Eclipse on March 19, 2012, 02:31:56 PM
Quote from: Perez on March 19, 2012, 02:13:03 PM
titanII:there was a unit in MAWG that required all of its cadets to wear the squadron caps instead of the cammies. Rather than what you would see for the ball caps from encampment, they looked something like this, only with a slightly darker shade, and it was required that cadets wear metal grade insignia on the front. http://blanksnapbacks.com/images/sky-trucker-hat.jpg

Awesome, especially considering that the wear of grade insignia on ball caps is specifically and explicitly prohibited.

I'm with you on that one. That's something a lot of past members have tried to address to no avail. Eventually wing sent a memo out and the insignia finally stopped. Thankfully I'm not with that unit anymore.
Train hard, train smart, and love life.

Eclipse

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on March 19, 2012, 09:11:27 PM

?

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Eclipse on March 19, 2012, 09:18:35 PM
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on March 19, 2012, 09:11:27 PM

?
people suggested a new field uniform; was making rebuttal. Not directed at you.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Eclipse

No, I understand, but I don't understand what you said.

"That Others May Zoom"

rustyjeeper

Quote from: Perez on March 19, 2012, 02:13:03 PM
titanII:there was a unit in MAWG that required all of its cadets to wear the squadron caps instead of the cammies. Rather than what you would see for the ball caps from encampment, they looked something like this, only with a slightly darker shade, and it was required that cadets wear metal grade insignia on the front. http://blanksnapbacks.com/images/sky-trucker-hat.jpg
that wouldnt have been Brockton would it have?  I remember a unit in the 80's that had those horrendus things

billford1

Whenever the ABU is introduced for CAP I hope they retire one of the uniforms we now use even if not everyone is eligible to wear the ABU.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: billford1 on March 20, 2012, 01:00:03 AM
Whenever the ABU is introduced for CAP I hope they retire one of the uniforms we now use even if not everyone is eligible to wear the ABU.

IF it is introduced, it will slowly phase out BDUs which will be "running out".

IF.