Will Civil Air Patrol get DCU or ABU?

Started by KERALA, March 18, 2012, 01:28:18 PM

MIKE

All of PAWG for one.  I saw it in MAWG once or twice back in the day, but I couldn't tell you what units did it.
Mike Johnston

SarDragon

We have squadron ball caps at our unit.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: SarDragon on March 19, 2012, 01:21:14 AM
We have squadron ball caps at our unit.
Could you upload a picture? I haven't seen one either.

Huey Driver

National needs to send a message down going to EVERY squadron explaining the ABU situation. And really, Commanders would've had to not log into eServices for close to 3 whole weeks not to see the notification on the news feed.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: JerseyCadet on March 19, 2012, 01:47:36 AM
National needs to send a message down going to EVERY squadron explaining the ABU situation. And really, Commanders would've had to not log into eServices for close to 3 whole weeks not to see the notification on the news feed.
Some people may ignore the news feed
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

titanII

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on March 19, 2012, 02:09:05 AM
Some people may ignore the news feed
+1
I for one don't check it every time I go on eServices.
No longer active on CAP talk

Extremepredjudice

Seems cadets support ABUs, and SMs don't...

I'd like ABUs, but I think a long phase-in would be necessary
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Spaceman3750

Dear commanders,

ABUs are not authorized. We will let you know when they are. In the meantime, please tell your members to stop asking us and return to executing our three missions with their current uniform.

Signed,

NHQ

Eclipse

+1

National needs to send a message down going to EVERY squadron explaining the ABU situation.

There is no ABU "situation" to explain.

They are not approved for CAP wear.  The uniform that is approved is in plentiful supply with no indication that is going to change in the foreseeable future.

Just because the airsoft kids down the street wear them, doesn't mean they are a good idea for CAP.   Cadet cash-flow issues notwithstanding, which would probably be made worse with ABU's, a lot of members who actually understand the question realize that camouflage is the worst choice possible
for a SAR organization, and we would be much better off with something that is the "uniform" for all, and more visible - light gray or the current blue
is a much better choice.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

But if we go all blue, then how will we keep the cadets interested?

Eclipse

Quote from: usafaux2004 on March 19, 2012, 04:19:11 AM

It's hard to argue the power a uniform can have for recruiting, but if the value of our organization is centered and based on that uniform, then we're pretty much sunk.

With a little thought, we could be paramilitary without being military-military.

The mission should dictate the uniform.  For formal wear a paramilitary cut and look fulfills the mission in ways that the Olympic Judge jacket never could, but for field situations the paramilitary camo does just the opposite - it provide some affinity at unit meetings, where a field uniform isn't really needed, and it makes us invisible in the field, where we need the more tactical clothing.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on March 19, 2012, 04:31:46 AM

It's hard to argue the power a uniform can have for recruiting, but if the value of our organization is centered and based on that uniform, then we're pretty much sunk.

With a little thought, we could be paramilitary without being military-military.

The mission should dictate the uniform.  For formal wear a paramilitary cut and look fulfills the mission in ways that the Olympic Judge jacket never could, but for field situations the paramilitary camo does just the opposite - it provide some affinity at unit meetings, where a field uniform isn't really needed, and it makes us invisible in the field, where we need the more tactical clothing.

I completely agree, and think that making the BBDU look like a uniform isn't hard, since it already is. But how well does that work in the field?

Why not just stick with the "tradition" of AF uniforms, but have a separate field uniform? CA already has a special uniform, so why not have a national ES uniform as well?

FARRIER

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on March 19, 2012, 02:38:09 AM
Seems cadets support ABUs, and SMs don't...

I'd like ABUs, but I think a long phase-in would be necessary

As a cadet in the early 80's, being able to wear BOTH of the Air Forces uniforms was an initial draw. That's a mind of a then 15 year old. Senior's hating ABU's, not this one. The tradition of wearing Mother Blue's uniforms has been hammered on like a dead horse. Some seniors cover their ears and play the I don't hear you game. My personal opinion, with the proposed RIF's right now, it will not be on their radar to okay it. We will be going all BBDU by necessity.

As a side opinion, tradition gets wizzed on these days, both for political and personal reasons.

Respectfully,
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

Spaceman3750

Quote from: usafaux2004 on March 19, 2012, 05:17:12 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on March 19, 2012, 04:31:46 AM

I completely agree, and think that making the BBDU look like a uniform isn't hard, since it already is. But how well does that work in the field?

Why not just stick with the "tradition" of AF uniforms, but have a separate field uniform? CA already has a special uniform, so why not have a national ES uniform as well?

Because if they make me wear that CAWG monstrosity I'll think about finding somewhere else to play >:D.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Perez

titanII:there was a unit in MAWG that required all of its cadets to wear the squadron caps instead of the cammies. Rather than what you would see for the ball caps from encampment, they looked something like this, only with a slightly darker shade, and it was required that cadets wear metal grade insignia on the front. http://blanksnapbacks.com/images/sky-trucker-hat.jpg
Train hard, train smart, and love life.

bflynn

It's a split function -

The most efficient uniform for recruiting is one that is recognized as a military uniform because boys (and some girls) like to play Army.

The most effective uniform for field work is completely different...blaze orange would be great.

Two different functions, two different needs.

Two different uniform standards would seem to be indicated.

Eclipse

Quote from: Perez on March 19, 2012, 02:13:03 PM
titanII:there was a unit in MAWG that required all of its cadets to wear the squadron caps instead of the cammies. Rather than what you would see for the ball caps from encampment, they looked something like this, only with a slightly darker shade, and it was required that cadets wear metal grade insignia on the front. http://blanksnapbacks.com/images/sky-trucker-hat.jpg

Awesome, especially considering that the wear of grade insignia on ball caps is specifically and explicitly prohibited.

"That Others May Zoom"

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: bflynn on March 19, 2012, 02:22:37 PM
It's a split function -

The most efficient uniform for recruiting is one that is recognized as a military uniform because boys (and some girls) like to play Army.

The most effective uniform for field work is completely different...blaze orange would be great.

Two different functions, two different needs.

Two different uniform standards would seem to be indicated.

Someone recently mentioned member costs need to be a major factor in any uniform changes. So now our ground ES mission would require a 2nd set of uniforms. I wonder how the suggestion to eliminate the green flight suit for ES would go over.

MSG Mac

They did!

DoD policy prevents the transfer, donation, and sale of digitized camouflage pattern uniforms to anyone outside the USAF with very few exceptions. Unfortunately Civil Air Patrol is not one of the exceptions. This prohibition is necessary to protect the unique technologies used in developing the uniform.

The National Board has placed a hold on all uniform changes pending a review of the entire CAP uniform structure. This review is ongoing by the CAP National Uniform Committee and a draft report will be presented to the Summer National Board Meeting in Baltimore in August 2012. The presentation will be available online via web stream but all CAP members are encouraged to attend.

From the National News Feed Dec 28, 2011
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member