Main Menu

ABU's???

Started by CAPCAPT41, May 24, 2011, 10:25:21 PM

AngelWings

More "Drama: Life in the CAP Talk"

parody of "Trama: Life in the ER"

Eclipse

Quote from: honolulugold on June 18, 2011, 09:43:06 AM
Case in point... all the Wings are currently working to revise and redesign the wing patches. Why? Because they USAF stated that they wanted the patches to conform to USAF regulations for design and size. As you can see by looking at Vanguard, and doing a little research on the subject, states are starting to make the transition with Georgia being the latest. So, the USAF itself thinks that modernization and conforming to USAF standards is a valid reason for change. The same reason I stated that you seem to dismiss.

Yeah, you're going to have to go ahead and cite on that.

Not all wings are doing anything with their wing patches.

I know from personal, direct contact with the people involved that the rework of my wing's patch is based purely on the personal whim of
those involved and has nothing to do with the USAF or even CAP NHQ.  I can also tell you that the current emphasis on the Heraldry Guidelines, at least in my wing, is bottom-up, not top down, and, for better or worse, stems from me personally asking the question in 2003-2004 when we designed an insignia for the Group.  Until then, the topic had literally never come up.

The USAF could literally not care less about CAP Wing patches, nor even CAP-USAF.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

I can tell you definitively that my wing is NOT looking at changing its patch.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

HGjunkie

Pretty sure FLWG isn't planning on changing the patch... again.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

SoCalMarine

FLWG's patch already meets the guidelines in shape and size.

HGjunkie

Quote from: honolulugold on June 18, 2011, 10:22:54 PM

And good thing it's optional. I don't like the look of it that much.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

SoCalMarine

Quote from: HGjunkie on June 18, 2011, 10:40:06 PM
Quote from: honolulugold on June 18, 2011, 10:22:54 PM

And good thing it's optional. I don't like the look of it that much.

Well, I like the look but I think they could have done a better job of increasing the stitching versus just around the border. If they have done stitching all through the yellow lines to differentiate between the main area of the shield and the banner below it I think it would look better.

SoCalMarine

Anyway to get back on topic... I just don't see the need to switch to ABUs. I will if ordered, but if its an optional uniform it will greatly depend on what colors the tapes and patches end up being. Also, I would prefer that CAP, if we ever do switch to ABUs, follow suit with the AF and not wearing any patches. We should just wear nametapes, rating and occupational badges and maybe the flag (although I don't see the point to that).

Here's the thing, for me anyway, the ABUs are very hot and uncomfortable. All these cadets so concerned over ABUs don't have a clue about that part of it. No matter how many times you wash them they are just as stiff as the day you bought them, and very scratchy while you're at it. Also, they are super hot! The AF introduced a hot weather blouse (they should have added hot weather trousers too), but you have to get special permission to wear it.

I don't know. Just seems more effort than its worth. The AF definitely made a mistake on material for the ABUs. I think ACUs are retarded, but at least they're very soft.

abdsp51

SoCal I beg to differ on ABUs staying stiff after many washings.  I have eight sets that have been washed many many times and they are no were near stiff.  And scratchy hardly, maybe when you first get hem but after washing them its like a broken in set of BDUs that you dont need to take an iron too or starch.  Are they hot yes they are no disagreements there, but they are actually quite comfortable, and are like anything they need to be broken in.   

lycan1138

what about the digital multi cam

Hawk200

Quote from: lycan1138 on June 30, 2011, 02:38:22 PM
what about the digital multi cam
Multicam is not a digital pattern. There are some knockoffs, but the trademarked (patented, copyrighted, etc.) print isn't digital.

lycan1138

ik i just dont know the real name for it

DC

Quote from: lycan1138 on June 30, 2011, 03:00:33 PM
ik i just dont know the real name for it
The real name for what?

AirDX

We're not the only ones experiencing uniform buffoonery, the Army has banned toe shoes, concerned about "image":

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/checkpoint-washington/post/army-bans-use-of-toe-shoes-citing-image-concerns/2011/06/30/AGjkvyrH_blog.html
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

AngelWings

lycan1138

what about introducing DCUs in areas where it gets very warm in the summer sometimes here in central MO it can get 90 and 100 degrees easily in the summer

arajca

The DCU was not a temperature based uniform. It was based on the type or area the personnel were operating in. I think you'd agree that the woodland camo pattern does not provide any camoflauge in the desert.

PHall

Quote from: arajca on July 05, 2011, 01:28:56 AM
The DCU was not a temperature based uniform. It was based on the type or area the personnel were operating in. I think you'd agree that the woodland camo pattern does not provide any camoflauge in the desert.

To help clarify, the DCU is just a Woodland BDU with different colors. No warmer and no cooler.

LGM30GMCC

Well, arguably since it was brighter colors and reflected more sunlight it was marginally cooler  8)

Zen Master Charlie

Well, I'm too lazy to look through all of the comments, so I'm going to post what I heard DIRECTLY from Maj General Amy Courter!

A cadet addressed this question to her during an open forum at the Colorado Wing Conferance this year. Her response was that you can expect to see some "Progress" in two years. This is an action item that she brings to the USAF EVERY two months (just the request to look into it) and they (USAF) has not given any definative responses yet as to whether or not we ever will switch.

There you have it, from the top.
"A lot of life is a lot of crap"