White aviator shirt

Started by BradM, December 27, 2010, 07:18:26 PM

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: spacecommand on December 28, 2010, 01:55:11 AM
Just a correction, even though you aren't wearing the AF Style uniform, Senior Members without grade wear "CAP" cutouts instead of "US" cutouts on the Service Blue uniform.

What about on the collar of the grey/white "mall cop" uniform?  I've never actually seen that.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Hawk200

Quote from: CyBorg on December 29, 2010, 10:58:00 PM
Quote from: spacecommand on December 28, 2010, 01:55:11 AM
Just a correction, even though you aren't wearing the AF Style uniform, Senior Members without grade wear "CAP" cutouts instead of "US" cutouts on the Service Blue uniform.

What about on the collar of the grey/white "mall cop" uniform?  I've never actually seen that.
That's one of those wierd things. It doesn't completely mirror the blue uniform (which requires them).

Some people think that the blank slides constitute "rank insignia" for the corporate. Not really accurate, because the blank slides do not display a rank insignia, and there is no rank insignia for "no rank."

That's another thing that could stand to change. Seriously thinking about posting my formerly yearly thread of "What would you like to see done with uniforms?"

BradM

Since the corporate uniform is being phased out. I'd like to see the white shirt/blue air force pants w/air force belt combo be substituted for the gray slacks and where I can wear a goatee. :) Also, if a white air force cap is found you can wear that with the CAP cap eagle. Like one of these:

BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

Hawk200

Quote from: BradM on December 30, 2010, 03:37:08 AM
Since the corporate uniform is being phased out. I'd like to see the white shirt/blue air force pants w/air force belt combo be substituted for the gray slacks and where I can wear a goatee. :) Also, if a white air force cap is found you can wear that with the CAP cap eagle. Like one of these:

Doubt you'll find one of those, they're an old design.

That picture is seriously wrong. The device is an enlisted device, but the farts and darts are for officers.

Don't go trying to create something out of uniform components. That got us into trouble in the first place.

manfredvonrichthofen

Just don't mess poke the lion with a stick. Let the top brass do the uniforms and comply with what they say.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Even though it's incorrect, I've seen the blank grey slides worn with both the AF blue and the mall cop uniform by SMWOG and it doesn't look half bad.

BradM, where did you find that hat? That's an odd combination - a white hat with an enlisted cap device and field grade officer farts and darts.

Also, I agree with you on the blue/white (I hate the grey/white) but blue, of any shade, ever since the CSU, is something that National is seeming to shy away from like a rattlesnake with a bad attitude.  I think it's based on perception that the Air Force might get ticked off with anything blue (airline uniform/law enforcement shades included) rather than any reality.

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

Quote from: CyBorg on December 30, 2010, 05:58:56 AM
Even though it's incorrect, I've seen the blank grey slides worn with both the AF blue and the mall cop uniform by SMWOG and it doesn't look half bad.

I agree - it looks all bad.

And please stop referring to the whites that way...

"That Others May Zoom"

shorning

The CyBorg is destroyed

shorning...technically you are right.  Since 1968 Canada has not had a separate army, navy or air force.  Even the term "Canadian Navy" is incorrect.  The proper term is Canadian Forces Maritime Command (along with Land Force Command and Air Command).  However, I have not talked to one serving CF member who thinks that unification was a good idea.  The CF has steadily been moving toward "de-unification" ever since the three "branches" got back distinctive uniforms in the mid-'80s.  The most recent move has been the "navy" getting back its pre-1968 officers' rank insignia:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/acf-apfc/Insig/navy-marine-eng.asp

The vast majority of CF personnel I've talked to hated the green "gas station attendant" uniform, especially the sailors and airmen.

Further on, there is a motion in Parliament to formally return to the pre-'68 designations:

http://www.rcn-rcaf.blogspot.com/

Sometimes I wonder what would happen here if we decided to try and unify our armed forces and outfit them all with the same uniform.

Eclipse: Point taken and there will be no more Paul Blart movie references WRT the aviator whites.

However, I'm sure you will remember, as I do, the various other less-than-complimentary references to some of our past uniforms:

Maroon shoulder boards/berry boards
Ultramarine jumpsuit/Smurf suit
Corporate Service Uniform/T**y P****a uniform (TPU)
Green fatigues/pickle suit

Just a bit of my peevishness over having the CSU taken away for no good reason that I can see, and NHQ's seeming aversion to blue, bubbling over.

It was never meant to denigrate anyone who wears the G/W combination, either through choice or necessity.  Several members of my own squadron wear that combination and serve admirably.

I apologise for any offence.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

shorning

Quote from: CyBorg on December 30, 2010, 09:15:03 AM
blah, blah, blah...

Thanks for the lesson...however, I work with the CF daily... ::)

Thrashed

I wear the aviator white shirt when I fly for a major airline.  Does that make me a mall cop?  :)

Save the triangle thingy

Persona non grata

Quote from: Thrash on December 30, 2010, 01:10:03 PM
I wear the aviator white shirt when I fly for a major airline.  Does that make me a mall cop?  :)

No, just a glorified bus driver flying around drunken tourist  ;D
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

JeffDG

Quote from: shorning on December 30, 2010, 06:53:27 AM
Quote from: CyBorg on December 27, 2010, 10:40:09 PM
...RCN Admiral..

Nothing "royal" about it...linky...

If you want to get picky, it's not the Canadian Navy either...it's the Canadian Forces...all one big happy family...no RCAF either.

JeffDG

shorning...technically you are right.  Since 1968 Canada has not had a separate army, navy or air force.  Even the term "Canadian Navy" is incorrect.  The proper term is Canadian Forces Maritime Command (along with Land Force Command and Air Command).  However, I have not talked to one serving CF member who thinks that unification was a good idea.  The CF has steadily been moving toward "de-unification" ever since the three "branches" got back distinctive uniforms in the mid-'80s.  The most recent move has been the "navy" getting back its pre-1968 officers' rank insignia:

When I applied for ROTP (Regular Officer Training Program...essentially the Canadian version of an academy appointment) back in the early '90s, the term was clearly "Canadian Forces", and my interview was with three officers, one Naval, on Air, one Land, and they each had distinctive uniforms...the Naval guy even went by "Leftenant Commander"...They all use the naval-type stripes for rank (officer wise)...[darn]ed migraines kept me out. 

Eclipse

Eclipse: Point taken and there will be no more Paul Blart movie references WRT the aviator whites.

However, I'm sure you will remember, as I do, the various other less-than-complimentary references to some of our past uniforms:

Maroon shoulder boards/berry boards
Ultramarine jumpsuit/Smurf suit
Corporate Service Uniform/T**y P****a uniform (TPU)
Green fatigues/pickle suit

Just a bit of my peevishness over having the CSU taken away for no good reason that I can see, and NHQ's seeming aversion to blue, bubbling over.

It was never meant to denigrate anyone who wears the G/W combination, either through choice or necessity.  Several members of my own squadron wear that combination and serve admirably.

I apologise for any offence.

None taken - it is more a guard against things like that which tend to stick.  I've also been an opponent of referring to the CSU in any other way (since the connotation is also counterproductive to anyone who wants to keep it).

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

I thought the CSU with the jacket looks really good, nice clean and professional. The stretch that USAF made about the very rare uniform that it comes close to looking like was a bit of a far one. I think we do need to find one that looks good and USAF will ok. If your only option is corporate uniforms with the current uniform with no jacket, there is nothing you can do about any formal occasions. I don't like that idea, it makes those who do wear the Corporate uniforms even more singled out. I mean what can they do, wear a tux with no awards or anything? Doesn't that seem a little wrong? Everyone is valuable to CAP and they are valuable enough to get a good looking uniform. One of the most inspiring members of my squadron can only wear the Corporate uniforms, and he has nothing that makes me think he feels valued and part of the organization. I know he feels valued, or I hope he does, we tell him all the time how valuable he is and how much we appreciate what he does for us. I just fell like he deserves more than a short sleeved shirt with grey pants. He mentors me and provides so much knowledge to me that I can't not feel bad for what the only thing he can wear in a service dress uniform. What can we as members come up with for them? Even if we were to find a nice looking suit that is professional, solid color, and with a military looking cut to it that we can change the buttons on to be the CAP crest buttons, and allow them to wear their ribbons on.

What say we turn this around and work together and then push it up the line to get something that looks good?

Eclipse

I want to keep the CSU or a variant as much as anyone else, but I also don't measure the value of my service by which uniform I do (or can't) wear.

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Eclipse on December 30, 2010, 05:49:13 PM
I want to keep the CSU or a variant as much as anyone else, but I also don't measure the value of my service by which uniform I do (or can't) wear.
I know you don't and I never said anyone does. It is just a matter of showing you that we value you enough to give you a good looking uniform.

I was thinking maybe a two button suit with the CAP Crest buttons with the gray epaulet slides, the gray name plate, the white aviator shirt CAP cutouts on the lapel of the jacket and a blue and red tie, just like the one VG has with a low cut lapel. For formal occasions, remove the name plate leave one button undone add mini medals and a bow tie. I think this would look rather good if done right, and I don't know, but I'm pretty sure there is no USAF uniform that has only two buttons and a low cut lapel.

I would also like to see them have a nice service cap that would be optional.

BradM

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 30, 2010, 03:52:07 AM

Don't go trying to create something out of uniform components. That got us into trouble in the first place.

I was answering Hawk200's question. Not meaning to wear it around like that...

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 30, 2010, 03:52:07 AM"Seriously thinking about posting my formerly yearly thread of "What would you like to see done with uniforms?""

Oh! You're Hawk200! ;)

Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

BradM

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 30, 2010, 03:56:13 AM
Just don't mess poke the lion with a stick. Let the top brass do the uniforms and comply with what they say.

I was just putting an opinion out there from Hawk200's question.

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 30, 2010, 03:52:07 AM"Seriously thinking about posting my formerly yearly thread of "What would you like to see done with uniforms?""

Finance Officer
La Verne, CA