Forget about CAP getting ABUs

Started by RiverAux, September 12, 2010, 04:06:45 PM

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Eclipse on February 21, 2011, 08:32:31 PM
If the USAF would go to something "not ABU", what would the point of CAP going ABU be?

It serves no purpose in our operations, and then would not even have parent-service affinity.
Quite probably to meet the demand of CAP that BDUs can't. Lets just face it, BDUs can't hold up to the demand of CAP even now. I can't go to the local surplus store and get a good pair of BDUs, especially not a pair that match each other. Even the used, especially the used BDUs are getting scarce. Those who wore them in the military are now holding on to them for nostalgia because it is no longer an actively used uniform, the ones that are in the surplus stores are being bought up by those who want them for paint ball and air soft. I know I used to say that we can get the BDU rather easily, but that has since changed. I went to get a set earlier this week and couldn't find a single serviceable pair. I even looked through the new stuff, all are made by Proper, and none of the tops match any of the bottoms.

Also it would have parent-service affinity, it is still known as the Airman Battle Uniform.

AngelWings

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on February 21, 2011, 08:44:19 PM
If the USAF would go to something "not ABU", what would the point of CAP going ABU be?

It serves no purpose in our operations, and then would not even have parent-service affinity.
Quite probably to meet the demand of CAP that BDUs can't. Lets just face it, BDUs can't hold up to the demand of CAP even now. I can't go to the local surplus store and get a good pair of BDUs, especially not a pair that match each other. Even the used, especially the used BDUs are getting scarce. Those who wore them in the military are now holding on to them for nostalgia because it is no longer an actively used uniform, the ones that are in the surplus stores are being bought up by those who want them for paint ball and air soft. I know I used to say that we can get the BDU rather easily, but that has since changed. I went to get a set earlier this week and couldn't find a single serviceable pair. I even looked through the new stuff, all are made by Proper, and none of the tops match any of the bottoms.

Also it would have parent-service affinity, it is still known as the Airman Battle Uniform.
Haha. Good point. I ran into the saddening problem that I couldn't find a single pair of temperate weight pants that matched my new top. I just ended up using my ripstop bottoms with my temperate weight top since the colors were 100% identical.

DC

ABUs will likely also be expensive as hell, worse than they are now, if the AF abandons them. If they continue to be produced at all, that is.

And people gripe about the cost of decent BDUs now...

PHall

I'm just waiting to see what the new DoD Battle Uniform will look like.
With all of the cost cutting going on right now it would be very easy for SecDef Gates to make the case for a single uniform for all of the services.
Just like we had for over 20 years with the BDU.

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: PHall on February 21, 2011, 10:24:17 PM
I'm just waiting to see what the new DoD Battle Uniform will look like.
With all of the cost cutting going on right now it would be very easy for SecDef Gates to make the case for a single uniform for all of the services.
Just like we had for over 20 years with the BDU.

The DoD so far likes the MPU (MultiPurpose Uniform) which is what so many call the multicam. They like it because one color scheme can work for multiple areas of operation, the one currently being issued to USAF that go out of the wire works for woodland and most desert areas. Also because of the ACU cut uniforms that are already being produced they only need to change the material going in to make the ACU and you have everything you need. Just have a few different colors of thread for name and branch tapes, and you are good to go.

Spaceman3750

www.bdu.com always seems to have BDUs when I need them, as does Vanguard.

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on February 21, 2011, 08:44:19 PM

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on February 21, 2011, 10:48:05 PM
www.bdu.com always seems to have BDUs when I need them, as does Vanguard.
Yes, Vanguard always has BDUs. The only problem is, the tops and bottoms never match. I have sent back a BDU uniform to them about three times and finally told them to keep them, because they couldn't get them right.

Eclipse

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on February 21, 2011, 08:44:19 PMAlso it would have parent-service affinity, it is still known as the Airman Battle Uniform.

It could be called the Hap Arnold Uniform, but of the USAF isn't wearing it, there's no affinity with the parent.

Also there is no shortage or availability issue with BDU's.  MCSS may not have them, but most members don't even know what that is, and can't spell AAFES.  The sources most members use still have them.

Further, at least in my wing, we have been inundated by literally pallets of BDU's from the services retiring them, so we'll have a supply for years to come for the cadets.

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

All I know is that when I went to the Clothing Sales at Scott AFB last month, the price of the ABUs was high. I don't remember exact prices but either the pants or the top was well into the $30+ range. If they charged sales tax there, I could almost buy a set of BBDUs from Soldier City for what they charge for one piece of the ABUs.

When my current set of BDUs becomes unserviceable, I will be wearing strictly BBDUs. CAP can change to ABUs or not. I don't care.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

JArvey

Quote from: Eclipse on February 21, 2011, 10:57:55 PM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on February 21, 2011, 08:44:19 PMAlso it would have parent-service affinity, it is still known as the Airman Battle Uniform.

It could be called the Hap Arnold Uniform, but of the USAF isn't wearing it, there's no affinity with the parent.

Also there is no shortage or availability issue with BDU's.  MCSS may not have them, but most members don't even know what that is, and can't spell AAFES.  The sources most members use still have them.

Further, at least in my wing, we have been inundated by literally pallets of BDU's from the services retiring them, so we'll have a supply for years to come for the cadets.

I live within 3 hours of 4 military bases and the army navy stores dont have ANY new BDU's, and the old ones they have are in horrible condition. It takes a good 30 minutes to find a matching pair that look decent, and ordering them online they never match, and they are 5X more expinsive then they are normally. I would pay the extra for ABUs because they are designed much better, personally I think we should use ACU's because we are in the field more and it is more of a field uniform, but thats not going to happen.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: JArvey on March 08, 2011, 03:13:16 AM

they are 5X more expinsive then they are normally.

When I joined as a cadet in 2005 BDUs were $25 per piece. Now they're $30 per piece. Hardly a 500% jump.

Eclipse

Quote from: JArvey on March 08, 2011, 03:13:16 AMIt takes a good 30 minutes to find a matching pair that look decent, and ordering them online they never match, and they are 5X more expinsive then they are normally.

Never match what?

BDU.com has them right now for $23.99.  You had a source for new, mil-spec, BDU's for $4.79?

No one on this board, or anyone I know personally, has ever had a single price or quality issue with them, and they are just one in the pack.
The last time I went to the military store near me they had plenty of Propper woodland in both new and used.

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 08, 2011, 03:24:51 AM

When I joined as a cadet in 2005 BDUs were $25 per piece. Now they're $30 per piece. Hardly a 500% jump.
In 1999, way back in the stone age I know, when I joined, I could get a full set new for $25.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on March 08, 2011, 03:29:04 AM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 08, 2011, 03:24:51 AM

In 1999, way back in the stone age I know, when I joined, I could get a full set new for $25.

Fair enough, but the cost is still simply a cost of being a member. It's the same with the Boy Scouts (NSCC and CGAUX too I'm sure). Try taking a CPR/AED/FA Instructor class at Red Cross like I'm doing. You want to talk about expensive, it's $225 for the class at my local chapter before I purchase any identifying apparel. Plus, we're about to change curriculum so if I want the paper version (I want) I'm another $50-$100 down plus renting equipment (a cost which gets passed on to participants, but still expensive).

Volunteering is expensive, especially in a large organization.

Eclipse

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on March 08, 2011, 03:29:04 AM

One would have to assume that was some sort of special military price at a base exchange, or perhaps a discount, because when I joined in
1998 they were about $50(ish) a set, as evidenced by this page from the 2000 Bookstore catalog. So that the price has actually come
down since then.

By far the vast majority of members have no idea about AAFES, no access or awareness of an MCSS, and until recently thought the Hock was CAP's official supplier.  Most ordered their BDU's from an online source (maybe via phone in the early 2000's), or a local military supply.

Further, as mentioned earlier, guard bases all over the country are dumping literally pallet-loads of camo on the waste and secondary markets, my wing
is swimming in camo.  There is no shortage unless you go out of your way to make one up.

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

Military Surplus store, the only place I will ever get a set of field uniforms. In person is the only place that you can ensure that your top and bottoms will match in color. In the past year, I have ordered from VG, and have sent the uniform back and asked for my money back because the uniform they sent was unacceptable, they didn't match in the slightest. So I went to the local surplus, and found a pair that was brand new, that was already separated by color, and they matched almost perfectly. However, now, there is no getting a good matching set from there any more. And I will never go back to VG for anything I don't absolutely have to. The only thing I order from them, is CAP ranks, and ribbons, and patches, and I must say I am not fond of their work with them either, I got a U.S. cutout from them, and as soon as I tried to put it on my uniform one of the prongs broke, so I broke out the JB weld and threw it on top of the stove just over the pilot light over night so it would be set for the next day, then that next day, the other one broke off as well. Their work is shoddy and I can't stand their attention to detail either. Have you read the command badge? It still says C.A.P. under the prop, and the scroll still says U.S. Air Force Auxiliary.

I haven't had too much luck with other companies either. I can't order BDUs from AAFES anymore, they don't carry them, or atleast that is the story I always get from them. I trust Ranger Joe's about as much as I do VG. And U.S. Cav, when I call and ask for BDUs, they ask what pattern, I say woodland, and they ask MPU? And I say, no, not multicam, old style Army BDUs, I'm sorry sir, we don't carry those anymore.

Eclipse

^And in all that you haven't mentioned buying them from the one source repeatedly recommended here and elsewhere.

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Eclipse on March 08, 2011, 04:22:53 AM
^And in all that you haven't mentioned buying them from the one source repeatedly recommended here and elsewhere.
Remind me please, what is that source?

Eclipse

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on March 08, 2011, 04:24:29 AM

BDU.COM

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Eclipse on March 08, 2011, 04:28:25 AM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on March 08, 2011, 04:24:29 AM

BDU.COM
I will give them a try.