Forget about CAP getting ABUs

Started by RiverAux, September 12, 2010, 04:06:45 PM

DC

A random thought occurred to me today while shopping for a new pair of combat boots. People gripe about the cost of the sage green boots, and wonder how the ABUs will be made CAP distinctive; why not wear the cheaper and much more widely available tan boots?

Its a noticeable difference, and would solve both the issues of finding good black boots anymore, and the excessive price tag attached to the sage ones.

jimmydeanno

The tan boots actually look pretty horrible with ABUs.  They clash, even more so than the ultra-marine blue nametapes.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

HGjunkie

Am I the only one with the crazy notion that green boots look good on the ACU's and tan boots look good on the ABU's?  :-X
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

AngelWings

I'd say yes and no. I think that it should be interchangable. I love the Sage Green boots, but thats because it is a USAF thing. Tan also looks awesome with the ABU's. Sadly, they are opting out the Tans for the ABU's for good, so we can kiss then look goodbye. The ACU's would be more effective if they used Sage green in greener area's, and Tan in the desert. If we got them, CAPM-39-1 should allow them to be interchangable.

PHall

Quote from: DC on December 18, 2010, 10:59:09 PM
A random thought occurred to me today while shopping for a new pair of combat boots. People gripe about the cost of the sage green boots, and wonder how the ABUs will be made CAP distinctive; why not wear the cheaper and much more widely available tan boots?

Its a noticeable difference, and would solve both the issues of finding good black boots anymore, and the excessive price tag attached to the sage ones.

Wearing black boots with the ABU would make it CAP distinctive too. And at a lower cost too.

manfredvonrichthofen

I think it should be only the tan boots. Has anyone seen a pair of sage green boots that look good after being in the field a lot? I know I haven't, but the tan boots with the ACU come clean with an eraser and a rough brush, that will take anything and everything off of the tan boots. So nice and easy.

SARDOC

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 19, 2010, 03:52:31 AM
I think it should be only the tan boots. Has anyone seen a pair of sage green boots that look good after being in the field a lot? I know I haven't, but the tan boots with the ACU come clean with an eraser and a rough brush, that will take anything and everything off of the tan boots. So nice and easy.
Except when you wear them around aircraft and they get exposed to JP5 and Hydraulic fluid...Then they look like garbage that will never get clean.

manfredvonrichthofen

I have gotten them clean after things of the sort, I have even gotten them clean after a barrel of feces motor oil and JP8 that was on fire spilled over them.

TrevDog

After reading most of the 15 pages that this thread is so far I found that no one has some hard facts on what is going to happen which is fine. It seems like the Air Force can't make up it's mind right now anyway if its the F-35, a tanker, or a uniform.

I just going to throw in my $0.02 then:

I think that both the Army and the Air Force possibly moving to Multicam would be great. It looks so much better then what they both have now. Plus the uniforms they have don't really act as camo anyway. http://www.multicampattern.com/ here is the multicam website. If you haven't seen multicam you should it is very impressive stuff that works in most environments like camo should. check out the website for more info there.

I also feel that since the AF is our parent company that we should look like them. Not only will the Cadets think it's cool but being identifiable, in really any situation, as some one that can provide help because we are wearing AF camo (with blue name tags ;D) is what we want. And it's great PR.

abdsp51

The AF is only issuing Multicam to those conducting operations OTW in Afghanistan. There has been no official release on the AF changing the utility uniform.  Like it or not the ABU is here for the time being and for a long time, I get email traffic from not only the CSAF but the   but from the CMSAF as well.  Not to mention my 1st Sgt and Chief would have put something out.  The Army has said that they are issuing Multicam for Afghanistan operations only, and since the AF is joing the Army on some of these operations they dress alike.

JArvey

Are the ABU boots waterproof? I know that some of them have Gortex made into them but I wasn't sure about all of them. And how are the ABU's bloused into the boot?

DC

Quote from: JArvey on December 19, 2010, 03:11:15 PM
Are the ABU boots waterproof? I know that some of them have Gortex made into them but I wasn't sure about all of them. And how are the ABU's bloused into the boot?
No, they aren't waterproof. The ECWCS rain/cold weather gear exists for wet environments.

They are tucked or bloused with a band, just like BDU pants.

DakRadz

Quote from: TrevDog on December 19, 2010, 07:46:39 AM
I think that both the Army and the Air Force possibly moving to Multicam would be great. It looks so much better then what they both have now. Plus the uniforms they have don't really act as camo anyway. http://www.multicampattern.com/ here is the multicam website. If you haven't seen multicam you should it is very impressive stuff that works in most environments like camo should. check out the website for more info there.
The Army also announced that they are dropping ACUs- going for a past approach that the Marines never left. They are looking to have woodland, desert, and other types of uniform. And Multicam is not the automatic winner, it will be a competition. So... Nothing is certain, especially if Multicam loses and the USAF follows through with what the Army wears in Afghanistan.

FlyTiger77

Quote from: DakRadz on December 19, 2010, 04:25:18 PM
The Army also announced that they are dropping ACUs-

I would be interested in seeing your reference for this.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on December 20, 2010, 06:34:44 PM

http://www.military.com/news/article/army-launches-program-to-field-new-camo.html

Less than five years after the Army fully outfitted Soldiers with uniforms printed in what it claimed was a single camouflage scheme suitable to all environments, the service launched a new search for a "family" of camo patterns that will help hide troops in deserts, forests and the places in between.

During a meeting with civilian companies interested in pitching their designs Dec. 9, officials from the Program Executive Office Soldier explained that recent tests showed the Army's so-called "universal camouflage pattern" fell "significantly" short of keeping Soldiers hidden compared to other patterns.

In February, the Army announced it would field uniforms and issued kit in the so-called "MultiCam" pattern to all Soldiers deploying to Afghanistan or those with more than six months left on their deployment. Officials realized the current UCP made Soldiers stand out against the varied backgrounds of Afghanistan, which can include wooded forests, rocky outcroppings and scrubby deserts -- all in the same patrol.

But now the Army brass is prepared to abandon the current pattern in favor of three different uniforms designed for more specific environments. The service wants to see one pattern for wear in woodland or jungle environments, one pattern for desert and arid environments and a so-called "transitional" pattern that could be worn across all environments if needed.

Officials also want a fourth pattern that blends with all three patterns and can be printed on gear such as body armor, magazine pouches and hydration systems so that the service doesn't have to buy the more expensive organizational clothing and individual equipment more than once.

"That Others May Zoom"

FlyTiger77

Quote from: Eclipse on December 20, 2010, 07:00:11 PM
Quote from: FlyTiger77 on December 20, 2010, 06:34:44 PM

http://www.military.com/news/article/army-launches-program-to-field-new-camo.html

Less than five years after the Army fully outfitted Soldiers with uniforms printed in what it claimed was a single camouflage scheme suitable to all environments, the service launched a new search for a "family" of camo patterns that will help hide troops in deserts, forests and the places in between.

During a meeting with civilian companies interested in pitching their designs Dec. 9, officials from the Program Executive Office Soldier explained that recent tests showed the Army's so-called "universal camouflage pattern" fell "significantly" short of keeping Soldiers hidden compared to other patterns.

In February, the Army announced it would field uniforms and issued kit in the so-called "MultiCam" pattern to all Soldiers deploying to Afghanistan or those with more than six months left on their deployment. Officials realized the current UCP made Soldiers stand out against the varied backgrounds of Afghanistan, which can include wooded forests, rocky outcroppings and scrubby deserts -- all in the same patrol.

But now the Army brass is prepared to abandon the current pattern in favor of three different uniforms designed for more specific environments. The service wants to see one pattern for wear in woodland or jungle environments, one pattern for desert and arid environments and a so-called "transitional" pattern that could be worn across all environments if needed.

Officials also want a fourth pattern that blends with all three patterns and can be printed on gear such as body armor, magazine pouches and hydration systems so that the service doesn't have to buy the more expensive organizational clothing and individual equipment more than once.

Interesting. But if we lose the ACU and have to go to fight in a gravel pit, what will we wear........?
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

bosshawk

Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

SARDOC

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on December 20, 2010, 07:10:23 PM

Interesting. But if we lose the ACU and have to go to fight in a gravel pit, what will we wear........?

HAHAHA...Gravel Pit

BillB

If your patrol is in a gravel pit area, you probably would be issued SRU (small rock uniform)
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

abdsp51

Any of the Military Times is not an official publication and should not be used as a source.