24 Month Facebook Recruiting report

Started by OldGuy, July 16, 2019, 12:07:36 AM

OldGuy

About two years ago we started using Facebook jobs as a recruiting tool. We have had successes along the way. We also implemented a social media growth strategy that has taken us from a community of about 200 to over 800 in that time frame.

This year we have been averaging one "application" a week, this month seven so far!

Call it 30* folks that have applied, we have interviewed fewer than a dozen and three* have joined and an equal number are still kicking the tires.

All in all an amazingly low calorie, low cost evergreen tool.

* Numbers are estimates.

Fester

Mind sharing a screenshot of your ads?
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

OldGuy

Eclipse

3 members is the same hit rate you'd get on word of mouth recruiting.

If anything you're making the argument that 90% of the people answering your
ad are inappropriate matches for CAP, and a waste of both their time and yours.

"That Others May Zoom"

OldGuy

Quote from: Eclipse on July 16, 2019, 04:30:49 AM
Yep, except we are getting BOTH.
Odd, that is not at all our experience. Rather 90% are just not ready YET. YMMV.

Fester

You really are a bundle of sunshine.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

CAP9907

Quote from: Fester on July 16, 2019, 06:28:45 AM

You really are a bundle of sunshine.

Not sure what that has to do with this but..

3 in 24 months. I had the same reaction: is the ROI worth it? Dunno, maybe OldGuy can quantify or clarify that..

~9907
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

OldGuy

Quote from: CAP9907 on July 16, 2019, 07:11:16 AM

Not sure what that has to do with this but..

3 in 24 months. I had the same reaction: is the ROI worth it? Dunno, maybe OldGuy can quantify or clarify that..

~9907
I was not clear, sorry. Three so far this year, a total of more than double that since we started this 2 years ago.

ROI? Zero cost, minimal time, decent results. Yeah, a great ROI. Our best recruiting events are open houses, but since we have been in 4 locations this last year, those have not been practical. And have WAY more work involved.

etodd

Quote from: OldGuy on July 16, 2019, 12:07:36 AM
About two years ago we started using Facebook jobs as a recruiting tool.

Strictly Facebook Job Listings?  Or are you also using your squadron's FB page to create posts to entice visitors and make sure all the members, friends and family are "sharing" them to help them go viral (at least locally)?  Yes, there are some people that search FB job listings for volunteer opportunities, but may people do even know about FB jobs.  Sharing local Squadron posts will hit people that may not be looking, yet might see something that will stir interest.   Lots of way to use social media to attract people. :)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

OldGuy

Quote from: etodd on July 16, 2019, 02:50:04 PM
Quote from: OldGuy on July 16, 2019, 12:07:36 AM
About two years ago we started using Facebook jobs as a recruiting tool.

Strictly Facebook Job Listings?  Or are you also using your squadron's FB page to create posts to entice visitors and make sure all the members, friends and family are "sharing" them to help them go viral (at least locally)?  Yes, there are some people that search FB job listings for volunteer opportunities, but may people do even know about FB jobs.  Sharing local Squadron posts will hit people that may not be looking, yet might see something that will stir interest.   Lots of way to use social media to attract people. :)
We do both, but the jobs listings are bringing people in who are not at all related to any other outreach.

OldGuy

My opinion is that Recruiting and Retention are complex processes. There is not just one path to success. What I like about this part of the process is that it helps bring up brand identity to a LOT of people in the community who never otherwise would have heard of us. Plus we are getting a consistent stream of potential applicants with very, very little added efforts.

JacobAnn

I have to agree with you OldGuy.  It's a great approach to recruiting.

OldGuy

Quote from: JacobAnn on July 17, 2019, 11:59:21 AM
I have to agree with you OldGuy.  It's a great approach to recruiting.
Thanks. Kudos to the Wing staff folks who started this.

Gunsotsu

What're your cadet numbers for that same period?

OldGuy

Quote from: Gunsotsu on July 17, 2019, 04:46:34 PM
What're your cadet numbers for that same period?
We are seeing about the same cadet program growth primarily through home school organizations.

Gunsotsu

That doesn't answer the question. How many cadets?

Were you serious about this, you could always screencap your unit growth graph (available in eServices) for the last 60 months. You know, show proof.

etodd

Quote from: Gunsotsu on July 17, 2019, 08:03:21 PM

Were you serious about this, you could always screencap your unit growth graph (available in eServices) for the last 60 months. You know, show proof.

Notice the top post.  It wasn't a question, nor a request. It wasn't baiting for responses.  It could have been locked at the start and would have been a nice simple post of someone who was happy with what was "working for them" and they simply wanted to share their happiness with others.

But its CAPTalk ... where people immediately want to destroy any happy posts and demand proof that anything happy actually occurred. And they are not happy until they make the happy person sorry they ever posted.

Time and time again here in CAPTalk. This place is good for laughs.   ;D

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Eclipse

Correlation does not imply causation, and there are any number of posters here
that feel posting fake jobs ads is no cricket (at best).

In this case, there is no evidence that the results were better then the placebo control group.

"That Others May Zoom"

OldGuy

Quote from: Eclipse on July 17, 2019, 09:10:32 PM
Correlation does not imply causation,...
That is a meaningless phrase. When people respond to an add looking for volunteers - show up based on an interview time set via the add and then join, the source is clear and inarguable.

... and there are any number of posters here
that feel posting fake jobs ads is no cricket (at best).
Again, a false issue. There is nothing FAKE about what we are doing. Your continued claim that we post FAKE ads is lacking in respect. And you know it.

In this case, there is no evidence that the results were better then the placebo control group.
Babble. We get members from Facebook that would never have found us otherwise. That you play word games because you do not like social media just to denigrate our efforts is, again, disrespectful. Rude. And wrong.

OldGuy

I answered, I don't know. Most of the responses this year have been seniors.

Or not. You want proof? Why? My words are suspect? Are you calling me a liar? Again, how about that respect thing? You know, the core values?