Main Menu

CAP Member Demographics

Started by simon, February 05, 2010, 09:54:12 PM

simon

Are CAP member demographics published?

I was doing a little work with census data recently. Later, as I sat in our squadron meeting, looking around at the members, I wondered if we were typical of a given squadron.

I jotted down some of the characteristics that the census tracks. Averages, median values etc, for the following characteristics:

1. Age
2. Highest educational qualification achieved
3. Gender (Male/Female percentage)
4. Marital Status
5. Veterans (Percentage yes/no, which branch etc.)
6. Population

There's a whole bunch of other stuff, e.g. Race & Ethnicity, foreign born etc., but the ones of interest to me were:

1. Age. Not just the average, but the trend. Is the CAP membership ageing? Because if so, I imagine that would be something that the organization should focus on: New people coming in as others retire.

2. Population. Related to (1). Shrinking or growing?

3. Veterans. Sort of related to (1). I do wonder how common it is for ex-military to join a civilian branch after retirement.

4. Gender. Is CAP predominantly male? What is the trend?

I am wondering what the CAP membership will look like in 10 years.

FW

Good question.  I don't think we do.  Maybe with our new membeship software we will get an answer to "deomgraphics" questions.

RiverAux

1.  Available now.
2.  There is a spot for it in the database, but it doesn't look like many use it.  Also it is often outdated (for example, someone might fill in 11th grade as a cadet and 10 years later it still shows 11th grade as highest obtained even if they've graduated college -- unless they've updated it, for which there is no incentive to do.
3.  Available. 
4.  Not in database.  Don't see any need for CAP to know this. 
5.  I think it would be helpful to CAP to be able to say that X% of CAP members are veterans in terms of helping on the credibility front.
6.  Population isn't an individual characteristic, so I don't know what you're shooting for. 

Interestingly, anyone can look up the age and gender data for CG Aux at anytime through their online database.  Last I heard, their average age was about 58.  Would probably be a little lower for CAP's senior member population as I think we've got an advantage in the 18-29 age range with former cadets. 

flyguy06

No one mentioned race in your demographics. In 25 years of membership. Ihave seenvery few African Americans in CAP. Even at the leadership level. I would be interested in knowing the percentage in CAP.

SarDragon

Quote from: flyguy06 on February 05, 2010, 11:10:44 PM
No one mentioned race in your demographics. In 25 years of membership. Ihave seenvery few African Americans in CAP. Even at the leadership level. I would be interested in knowing the percentage in CAP.

Since that is an optional block on the membership applications, any demographic info derived from that source is likely to be inaccurate. Sad but true.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

simon

Riveraux, re population to clarify I meant the actual number of members, by state etc, which I am sure is available.

You made a good point about 'optional' and out of date. Statistics can be way out unless the information is entered accurately and maintained. I bet a lot of stuff is way old.

Re race, at least that doesn't change! :-) But yes, I wonder how many people actually enter it.

In any event, some of that stuff may be of novel interest but not really useful. I'd like to see, for example, what is the average age of pilots and crew on a search mission and the number of hours they have total and on mission. Are we flying around with 60 year old pilots? Does it matter? Perhaps more importantly, what is the average age of the observer and scanner and how is their eyesight? Their eyesight might be more critical than for the pilot? We don't require testing for 20/20.

Sorry if this hovers around age. I run the risk of alienating a large group of very capable members. I'm just wondering where CAP is right now on demographics and where the organization wants to be. Principally, is it aging?

I should also add that I have nothing against older pilots. Personally, I seek the crusty old gray haired guys out for my instruction. I figure it if they're still around flying they must be doing something right. Plus they have the best stories... :-)

necigrad

Thinking about my squadron here's how I'd answer your questions  Please note that this is based on observation and reflection, NOT an actual survey:

Age:  Most members 40-60.  I've venture there are more 70-80+ then 20-40.  Last I heard we had three members in their 80's.

Highest educational qualification achieved:  We have Doctorate level at the highest, and probably a huge amount of BA and BS degrees

Gender:  It seems to be a guy thing, but we do have women, guessing 50/50 on came with spouse or on their own.  They've almost all been in the squadron longer then I though, so I'm not at all certain on that.

Marital Status:  Mostly married, not many that are single, probably due to the age group.

Veterans:  Something like 80% AF, 15% other service and 5% Civilian.  Seems like everyone was AF in my squadron (I wonder why?  ;))

Population:  A month or so ago our Squadron Commander went over the NV stats.  I believe NV was 28th in membership, yet something like 40th in actual population.  EServices says (right now) 294 cadets and 518 seniors, 77 of which are in my squadron.
Daniel B. Skorynko, Capt, CAP
Nellis Senior Squadron

RiverAux

Wing membership information is available in the annual reports.

AdAstra

In 2004, Dr. Jeff Montgomery (currently National's Deputy Director for Aerospace Education) conducted just such a survey for his doctoral dissertation. Here are a few of the stats:

> Cadets
     > Male - 82.5%
     > Female - 17.5%
     > Age
          >12-13 - 11.5%
          >14-15 - 26.3%
          > 16-27 - 38.5%
          > 18-21 - 23.7%
     > Race
          > Caucasian - 88.3%
          > Hispanic - 4.1%
          > Asian - 3.7%
          > African American - 2.1%
          > Native American - 1.0%

> Adults
     > Male - 82.7%
     > Female - 17.3%
     > Age
          > 18-29 - 14.7%
          > 30-39 - 15.9%
          > 40-49 - 30.7%
          > 50-59 - 22.9%
          > 60-69 - 11.4%
          > 70-79 - 3.7%
          > 80-87 - .5%

Dr. Montgomery did ask about marital status and educational achievement. He did not ask about prior military experience. My own surveys at 10 or so Unit Commanders Courses show less that 25% have military experience, and my discussions with another national staffer show this to be in the ballpark.
Charles Wiest

helper

Quote from: SarDragon on February 05, 2010, 11:23:07 PM
Quote from: flyguy06 on February 05, 2010, 11:10:44 PM
No one mentioned race in your demographics. In 25 years of membership. I have seen very few African Americans in CAP. Even at the leadership level. I would be interested in knowing the percentage in CAP.

Since that is an optional block on the membership applications, any demographic info derived from that source is likely to be inaccurate. Sad but true.

My squadron is mostly African American cadets (note: the form 15 check box is "black") and half of the Sargent's & officers. The check box may be optional but my observation is that the applicants choose to answer.

What I'm more interested in is the results; how to keep cadets interested enough that they will want to continue or return to CAP as adults.

Is there a member demographic of Seniors who are former cadets? My observation is that many on CAP Talk are former cadets but I'm not sure of the %.
Mitchell (pre-number) & Earhart (2144)

flyguy06

I am a senior member who is a former cadet.  I imagine the married couples in CAP is pretty high.

simon

Thanks for the feedback.

So the picture I am getting is that CAP demographics show:

- About half are 40-60 years old.
- 4 in 5 are male.
- 90% white for cadets (No race info for adults)

Riveraux's comment that the average age for Coast Guard Aux of 58 was an eye opener for me. Wow. No spring chickens.

I'm not sure what all this means, if anything at all. For all I know, this could be the average demographic for middle level managers in an Iowa based Fortune 500 company. My particular interest is in aircrews, the people involved in the airborne part of SAR missions. I am just guessing it would be difficult to extract that kind of information from any database unless there was a dedicated effort to record the CAP ID's of the aircrews that went on SAR missions. I'm sure it is written down at the time of the SAR (Has to be of course) but probably doesn't find its way into a database.

People have asked me - "What's a typical SAR crew on a mission?". I don't think there really is a typical crew. It is probably not an important issue as making sure everyone is qualified, which of course is already handled. Perhaps I've answered my own question...

flyguy06

Simon,
I am just curious what this research is for? Also, does anyone know how many AfricanAmerican Senior Officers are there in CAP? I know of one region CC, One Wing CC, one Region Vice CC and one former Wing CC who is still active.

I am asking because I want to do a presentation for some of my cadets.

aveighter

The whole race thing is so twentieth century. 

Having logged time in the area of Kenya/Uganda/Tanzania I am now proudly claiming the mantel of American-African.

Please let me know if I may be of any assistance in your presentation.

Spike

How about "American". 

We are all "Americans".  If you are born here (or to parents of the US etc), or take the test and pass you are an "American".

Lets leave race out of CAP.

What really is the purpose to discuss race.  Inner City squadrons have more Americans of African ancestry than a Squadron in Iowa.  However, that Iowa town may be poorer and less well to do than the inner city Squadron.

Honestly when the census is completed this year, you will see that Americans of Latin American ancestry is overtaking black and white populations anyway.

So I ask......where is the Latino CAP leadership.  Where are the Mexican-American, Spanish-American and South-American CAP leaders??

Race has nothing to do in CAP.  If you were to tell me that gender had an issue, perhaps I would think about that longer than race issues.   

Stonewall

I'm Euro-American...or am I just American?  I'm even the first American born "Stonewall" in my family.  Although my dad graduated from USNA, his birth certificate had to be officially translated from German and I'm sure they questioned the Swastika during his TS clearance paperwork.

Quote from: aveighter on February 06, 2010, 09:24:40 PM
Having logged time in the area of Kenya/Uganda/Tanzania I am now proudly claiming the mantel of American-African.

Me too...I've got more time throughout the continent of Africa than most people have in neighboring states.  Rwanda, Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, Botswana and a few others.

Regardless of my family's background, I am an American.
Serving since 1987.

flyguy06

Ok, ok,. I didnt mean to start one of t"thioe" conversations. I forgot the audience I am dealing with. As an African American member I am curious about these things. You probably dont understand why and thats ok. Nevermind.

flyguy06

Stonewall. thisis not a conversation abouit who is Americanand who is not. the question was about demographics. I was curious about the dempgraphics myself. I never said it was bad. I am just curious. Too you it is not significant. But too many people it is. Different folks different strokes. thats all.

Cecil DP

Since the question is asked on the CAPF(s) 12 and 15 National must be tracking that information.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

RADIOMAN015

Statistical presentation of the current membership would be beneficial because it might focus us on some areas that we might need to analyze further as an organization.

Unfortunately, at this time we can't even get a monthly public posting of  total membership (by categories), so I wouldn't hold my breathe took long looking for more advanced statistics. :(

RM