Main Menu

bye bye ECI-13

Started by RiverAux, May 01, 2008, 12:08:37 AM

RiverAux

I'm not sure any of the CAP-specific courses at AFIADL have ever qualified for college credit and can't imagine that they ever would.  I'm of the view that the CAP specific stuff probably should be handled by CAP just to make everything work more smoothly (hopefully).

DesertFlyer

Quote from: Short Field on May 02, 2008, 03:10:25 AM
Bugs the heck out of me that I can't find documentation for the AEPSM change.  Of course, they still talk about the PDR.  However, I did check back on some records.

I completed the Yeager on-line in Sept 2006.  The entry in my eServices record says  "Open Book" in the "how completed" column.  It took months and months and multiple e-mails and faxes to get it finally through wing to national and updated.  I never got the "big" certificate.  I was working about six Yeagers as one package - most older than mine.  I created all the certifcates using the web site.

Another member completed the AEPSM in Aug 2007.  The "how completed" column says "On-Line" .  I monitored the test and it was updated in eServices within minutes.

I completed the online test in April of 2007, got the big certificate on parchment from the Wing AEO, but then it never got onto e-Services.  I can go online in the ProfDevelopment area and print out another certificate any time I want, but it still doesn't show up on e-Services. 

If the reg changed, is there any way to point NHQ to your online certificate and get that info input into e-Services?

Lt Col Dave Finley, CAP
Socorro Composite Squadron
New Mexico Wing

Semper Fidelis -- Semper Vigilans

SarDragon

Quote from: DesertFlyer on May 03, 2008, 02:48:45 AM
Quote from: Short Field on May 02, 2008, 03:10:25 AM
Bugs the heck out of me that I can't find documentation for the AEPSM change.  Of course, they still talk about the PDR.  However, I did check back on some records.

I completed the Yeager on-line in Sept 2006.  The entry in my eServices record says  "Open Book" in the "how completed" column.  It took months and months and multiple e-mails and faxes to get it finally through wing to national and updated.  I never got the "big" certificate.  I was working about six Yeagers as one package - most older than mine.  I created all the certifcates using the web site.

Another member completed the AEPSM in Aug 2007.  The "how completed" column says "On-Line" .  I monitored the test and it was updated in eServices within minutes.

I completed the online test in April of 2007, got the big certificate on parchment from the Wing AEO, but then it never got onto e-Services.  I can go online in the ProfDevelopment area and print out another certificate any time I want, but it still doesn't show up on e-Services. 

If the reg changed, is there any way to point NHQ to your online certificate and get that info input into e-Services?

First get in touch with your Wing AE folks. They are supposed to process that printout you sent them. You did send them a printout, didn't you?

If that's been processed by Wing, then call NHQ PD, and they should be able to take care of it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DNall

^see that's that i said.

Capt Rivera

Quote from: jimmydeanno on May 01, 2008, 08:25:01 PM
Nothing a set of instructions with screenshots won't fix.  It's exactly what I do with members in my squadron that don't know how to enter their stuff for ES.

1) Open your internet browser, the icon looks like this.
2) In the address bar (the box that says www.whatever.com) type this:
3) The webpage should look like this: (picture of webpage)
4) In this (red arrow pointing) box enter your CAPID number.
5) etc.

would you like to share those [ANY you have] so we don't reproduce work already done?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

DeputyDog

Quote from: RiverAux on May 03, 2008, 02:34:41 AM
I'm not sure any of the CAP-specific courses at AFIADL have ever qualified for college credit and can't imagine that they ever would.

Two of them do. I received one general elective college credit (Navigation, junior level) for the Mission Observer course and one general elective college credit (Journalism, sophomore level) for the Public Affairs Officer course. ACE recommends that the credit be awarded for those courses.

RiverAux

Having taken both of those courses I would have to strongly question that they they are worth any college credit.  Neither rises to the level of college level difficulty in my book, however if each of them were signficantly strengthened I could buy it. 

arajca

One of the problems with AFIADL 13, or for any of the AFIADL CAP specific courses, is they aren't reviewed or updated on a regular schedule. Therefore, they become grossly out of date (typing squadron newsletters using carbon paper?!). In the FEMA Master Trainer Program, we spent a couple hours discussing the importance of a maintenance program for courses - annual for minor updates, 3-4 years for major updates, ~5 years for system audits (is the course still relevent?).

If we are going to continue using these, CAP needs to get it together and start reviewing/rewriting these courses. I'm sure that if asked, there are a number (probably a good sized number) of members who would be willing to take on rewriting any of these.

DeputyDog

Quote from: arajca on May 04, 2008, 03:23:53 PM
If we are going to continue using these, CAP needs to get it together and start reviewing/rewriting these courses.

Who is the person that is responsible for doing that at NHQ?

RiverAux

This goes back to what seems to me a long-standing issue at NHQ of not effectively meshing the paid staff with CAP volunteers in various subject areas.  Hopefully the recent changes in this area will make it more likely that someone will keep track of these things.  However, perhaps what we need is an Education section which is tasked with keeping all internal education courses (ES, AE, cadet, PD, etc) updated and developing a plan for working with the appropriate staff members to do these updates.  This would have the added benefit of perhaps adding a little consistency in the relative difficulties of different courses in different fields.

mikeylikey

Quote from: DeputyDog on May 04, 2008, 03:55:02 PM
If we are going to continue using these, CAP needs to get it together and start reviewing/rewriting these courses.

Who is the person that is responsible for doing that at NHQ?

ha...because he or she has really let it slip for sometime.  I hope they were not getting paid all this time............
What's up monkeys?

RiverAux

To be fair, I think I've heard that part of the problem in updating the AFIADL courses was the extensive process required to do so through the AF.  I don't think it was as easy as submitting an updated textbook to them.  Moving the CAP courses out may make it easier to keep them up to date.

DeputyDog

Quote from: RiverAux on May 04, 2008, 04:46:42 PM
To be fair, I think I've heard that part of the problem in updating the AFIADL courses was the extensive process required to do so through the AF.  I don't think it was as easy as submitting an updated textbook to them.  Moving the CAP courses out may make it easier to keep them up to date.

According to the AFIADL website, the Public Affairs Officer course was last revised in April of 1988. Even if it is difficult to update, they've had twenty years to update a course in an area that we consistently suck at.

DeputyDog

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 04, 2008, 04:42:35 PM
ha...because he or she has really let it slip for sometime.  I hope they were not getting paid all this time............

I have to call NHQ in the morning anyways. I'll ask who is in charge of it and try to talk to them. I'm getting tired of having to train new PAOs with the stuff not covered in the course that should be there. The same goes for new ES officers that have to study outdated information (in units 1 and 2) in order to pass the exam. It is a real waste of time for them, and is a bad introduction for that new member to CAP.

RiverAux

Incidentally, they have several frequently asked questions on the AFIADL site regarding pages in ECI-13 and the Safety Officer text that are unreadable.  If you can't even get those sorts of things fixed, you've got problems. 

I bet there aren't editable electronic versions of the existing CAP courses which has made it even more of a challenge to update them since you'd have to start typing them from scratch -- which would have been a job with -13.

Tubacap

^ Scan it into word as an editable document..
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

RiverAux

Available now, but not easily done until somewhat recently, but that would be one way of doing it. 

arajca

Quote from: Tubacap on May 04, 2008, 05:41:11 PM
^ Scan it into word as an editable document..
I tried that. The text was so degraded that I could only get about 50-60% accuracy. Not counting having to rotate some pages because somewhere along the line, the master? was put in crooked. Plus the pictures came out really bad.

DeputyDog

If we are going to continue using these, CAP needs to get it together and start reviewing/rewriting these courses. I'm sure that if asked, there are a number (probably a good sized number) of members who would be willing to take on rewriting any of these.

I spoke with the person responsible for it this morning. The Public Affairs Officer course is in the process of being revised (he said that one was the priority and should be released soon), and the Emergency Services course was also in the process of being revised as well.

LittleIronPilot

I was VERY pleased to hear this. I will be waiting until this happens before I take the ECI-13 course.