from cadet to Senior Officer(member)

Started by Dutchboy, March 06, 2008, 02:51:16 AM

LtCol Hooligan

Here is my two cents on the situation.  Rejoin and see what shows up in eServices.  If it isn't there, try your best to get things recreated.  You should be able to write up details on the lifesaving event and your new commander send them up the chain now.  From there, if your Mitchell is missing and your CAPF 52 series form is missing, I hate to say it but you probably cannot get your Mitchell.  The big thing you lose is a ribbon and having to wait 6 months for 2d LT (if you are 21).

I saw you also reference having to join as an officer since you have been out since 2005.  How old are you now?  If you are 18, you may be able to join as a cadet still.  If you are 19-20, sorry charlie- it's the dark side for you.  You may want to be an officer anyway unless you can accept joining as an 18 year old C/B (if the records are truely gone).

Oh last item- in regards to your ES certs, you might have to redo them, but check to see if GES comes back.  If you took it on-line then GES should come back for you.  You will have to start all over with the GTM and other specialties as your expiration time has passed and it would be good practice anyway.
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

SJFedor

Quote from: messofficer on March 06, 2008, 02:51:16 AM
What is the process for a cadet to change to senior officer (member). Details please.

Form 12 w/ the fingerprint card, write "CADET TO SENIOR-NO CHARGE" on the top. If the cadet is near renewal, and won't overshoot the 21 y/o boundary, have them wait until they've renewed, so the 1st year costs just a little less. Send to NHQ, along with a Form 11 stating that the member is exempt from Level 1 (if the cadet is Mitchell or higher). Get CPPT and OPSEC done ASAP.

If cadet is up for an advanced promo (FO/TFO/SFO/2d Lt/1st Lt/Capt) do the F2A with supporting documentation and get it rolling. FO/TFO/SFO are approved at the unit level, and are not recorded at NHQ. So, the Unit/CC signing the 2A is promotion authority.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

nesagsar

I wont have to worry about Mitchell, I only went up to Chief.
I am 20 now, so I guess no more honor guard.  :'(
I took CAPT-116 and CAPT-117 online when I was in.
I got my ground team certs at NESA and have been doing county government SAR since I got out so I dont think it would be too difficult to re-certify.

LtCol Hooligan

Well, I would wear my armstrong ribbon since you "earned it".  I highly doubt if anyone will come up to you and say show me your 52 series form or I'll rip it off your chest.  With GES, if it comes back (which it should), do OPSEC and your level 1 stuff and then log into eServices.  Sign up for the GTM3, UDF and other specialties you want to train in so your SQ/CC can approve training.  Then print the SQTRs and find an SET to go through the tasks with you.  Once you demo that you know your stuff, do your missions and you will be GTG.  The big thing is to get through the FAM and prep so you can go on training missions and real missions while you are a trainee and getting your missions in.

Gosh we have a lot of acronyms in this organization!!
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

nesagsar

Eagle400

Quote from: LtCol Hooligan on March 12, 2008, 04:16:30 PM
Well, I would wear my armstrong ribbon since you "earned it".

I have a question, sir.  Where does the highest cadet program ribbon earned go?  I couldn't find it anywhere in CAPM 39-1, Table 5-2.

Is this something in fine print that National forgot to include in the table?

Tim Medeiros

number 18 on that table

"Falcon Award (Earned prior to 1 Jul 79) or highest cadet achievement ribbon earned"
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

nesagsar

My dad got the falcon award when he was a cadet. It was stolen though, he recently bought a replacement off ebay.

Eagle400

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on March 12, 2008, 05:00:50 PM
number 18 on that table

"Falcon Award (Earned prior to 1 Jul 79) or highest cadet achievement ribbon earned"

Wow... slipped right past that one.  Thanks, Capt Medeiros.

Eagle400

I just noticed something odd.

If you look at CAPM 39-1, table 5-2, box 18, it states that the highest cadet achievement ribbon earned will be worn. 

But if you look at CAPR 39-3, Section A paragraph 3a, it says the following:

My question is, since there is nothing that says cadet award ribbons are authorized for wear by officers, would I have to replace my Earhart Award ribbon with my Goddard Achievement ribbon in order to wear it as an officer?

The 39-1 mentions achievement ribbons, but not award ribbons.  And the 39-3 only mentions "cadet program ribbons."  Interestingly, no other regulation references "cadet program ribbons." 

Additionally, the 39-3 mixes up cadet award ribbons with cadet achievement ribbons by putting them all in the same category (Section C, paragraph 14 items a through k). 

There is a difference between cadet achievements and cadet awards; not all of the ribbons listed above are for cadet awards.  In fact, more than half of them are for cadet achievements.

So I'm thinking they should have labeled the list "Cadet Program Ribbons" or "Cadet Program Achievements and Awards" so as to prevent confusion.

cnitas

Is there really confusion here?   ???

It is pretty straightforward.
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Eagle400

Quote from: cnitas on March 12, 2008, 08:10:24 PM
Is there really confusion here?   ???

It is pretty straightforward.

Maybe I'm reading too much into the regs, but it seems to me like there isin't enough of a distinction made between the cadet achievements and the cadet awards.  39-3 lumps them into the same category (Cadet Awards) when really they belong in two different categories.

There should be one category for cadet achievements, and another for cadet awards (but both under the main category of cadet program ribbons). 

Also 39-1 says that officers wear the highest cadet achievement ribbon earned, when it really should say the highest cadet achievement or award ribbon earned.   

SarDragon

Quote from: CCSE on March 12, 2008, 07:46:26 PM
I just noticed something odd.

If you look at CAPM 39-1, table 5-2, box 18, it states that the highest cadet achievement ribbon earned will be worn. 

But if you look at CAPR 39-3, Section A paragraph 3a, it says the following:

My question is, since there is nothing that says cadet award ribbons are authorized for wear by officers, would I have to replace my Earhart Award ribbon with my Goddard Achievement ribbon in order to wear it as an officer?

The 39-1 mentions achievement ribbons, but not award ribbons.  And the 39-3 only mentions "cadet program ribbons."  Interestingly, no other regulation references "cadet program ribbons." 

Additionally, the 39-3 mixes up cadet award ribbons with cadet achievement ribbons by putting them all in the same category (Section C, paragraph 14 items a through k). 

There is a difference between cadet achievements and cadet awards; not all of the ribbons listed above are for cadet awards.  In fact, more than half of them are for cadet achievements.

So I'm thinking they should have labeled the list "Cadet Program Ribbons" or "Cadet Program Achievements and Awards" so as to prevent confusion.

Don't get wrapped around the axle on this. Wear the highest cadet program ribbon you have, and get on with life. Oh, wait, you're not a member, so you can't wear ribbons, anyway.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eagle400

Quote from: SarDragon on March 12, 2008, 09:44:49 PM
Don't get wrapped around the axle on this. Wear the highest cadet program ribbon you have, and get on with life. Oh, wait, you're not a member, so you can't wear ribbons, anyway.

Not my only focus, sir.  And certainly not a big deal.  Not trying to start an argument or debate.

I will wear my Earhart Award Ribbon (and all the others that will carry over) come 2009, when I get back in. 

But it would be nice for the regs to be more clearly defined.   

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: CCSE on March 12, 2008, 05:41:23 PM
Quote from: Tim Medeiros on March 12, 2008, 05:00:50 PM
number 18 on that table

Wow... slipped right past that one.  Thanks, Capt Medeiros.
Your welcome glad I could help, interesting point about the phrasing by the way.  Maybe this should be added to the errors/ambiguities/etc thread in the uniform forum

edit: messed up quoting
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

nesagsar

I am just going to stop talking about my ribbons and badges since  the resulting conversation almost destroyed the "show us your rack" thread.

MIKE

Mike Johnston

mikeylikey

^ Almost?

Beat me too it Mike   ;D

Note:.....I was going to just delete this post (Nuke it), but read your Don't nuke your posts post, so I crossed it out.  Thats Ok right?
What's up monkeys?

SJFedor

Quote from: CCSE on March 12, 2008, 09:56:41 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on March 12, 2008, 09:44:49 PM

Not my only focus, sir.  And certainly not a big deal.  Not trying to start an argument or debate.

I will wear my Earhart Award Ribbon (and all the others that will carry over) come 2009, when I get back in. 

But it would be nice for the regs to be more clearly defined.   

There's a lot of regs that require more focus more rapidly then the specific wording of that particular table/paragraph. But, if you feel you need to follow the extreme letter of the regulation, go ahead and slap on your goddard ribbon. But the wording is most certainly not the intent.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Hawk200

Quote from: SJFedor on March 14, 2008, 06:14:59 AM
But the wording is most certainly not the intent.

I honestly see your point here, and I completely agree with it. However, there are people that get hung up on the letter of the reg, rather than the spirit. Which is why the reg needs to be clarified. If only to avoid issues with reg nazis.