Main Menu

ID Cards

Started by William K. Bolan, February 10, 2016, 01:59:06 PM

William K. Bolan

Are they gonna ever replace our cracker jack thin ID cards? Just saying, We need stronger cards. Like the material they use for the drivers licensce card.
With the same format design, of course.

FW

Nope.
BTW; they are membership cards, not ID cards. You get a new one every year, so I wouldn't worry about how thin they are. 

William K. Bolan

Chappie

From my understanding, the ID cards are produced/provided by a contracted third-party vendor.  In other words, you get what you pay for.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

THRAWN

Meh. Put it in one of those plastic ID sleeves with your 101 and forget about it.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Гугл переводчик

When I first joined,  the cards were much thicker, but they faded much easier
Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

THRAWN

Quote from: SamuelRosinsky on February 10, 2016, 04:13:24 PM

When I first joined, they were thin and the personal info was printed on with a dot matrix printer.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

William K. Bolan

I mean I really don't mind the cards but I was thinking there is a need for a stronger card. But I'll take what I get

Raikkonen

Anybody ever seen a Coast Guard Auxiliary card?  I would be interested to see how they are doing theirs.  I'm in Arizona so there isn't a whole lot of Coast Guard anything here. 

William K. Bolan

Yeah...Dont think there is really anything "Coast Guard Auxiliary" out in Arizona, it's mostly desert. However, I have seen a USCG Auxiliary ID card, here is an attachment belowhttp://www.perrimarinesales.com/images/_products/marinesupplies/96_USCG_in_.jpg

See if you can click ob the link

William K. Bolan

if not search USCG Aux ID card

THRAWN

Quote from: William K. Bolan on February 10, 2016, 05:03:36 PM
Yeah...Dont think there is really anything "Coast Guard Auxiliary" out in Arizona, it's mostly desert. However, I have seen a USCG Auxiliary ID card, here is an attachment belowhttp://www.perrimarinesales.com/images/_products/marinesupplies/96_USCG_in_.jpg

That's a wallet. And from what I remember, their cards are issued by DHS and HSPD-12 compliant.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Raikkonen

Quote from: THRAWN on February 10, 2016, 05:31:29 PM

That's a wallet. And from what I remember, their cards are issued by DHS and HSPD-12 compliant.

Hmmmmm.....  So they are the official aux. of the Coast Guard and they get fancy smancy ID cards...   And we are the official aux. of the Air Force and we get crap.  Me thinks there is some sorcery at work here.

Garibaldi

Quote from: THRAWN on February 10, 2016, 04:22:55 PM

When I first joined, they were thin and the personal info was printed on with a dot matrix printer.

Yep. A paper one that fell apart the first time I took an unscheduled swim in a creek on an FTX.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

THRAWN

Quote from: Raikkonen on February 10, 2016, 05:36:37 PM

Hmmmmm.....  So they are the official aux. of the Coast Guard and they get fancy smancy ID cards...   And we are the official aux. of the Air Force and we get crap.  Me thinks there is some sorcery at work here.

Nope. Check the rules. They are ALWAYS USCG Aux. We are sometimes USAF Aux and sometimes CAP corporate. There has been a lot of chatter about this. Hit the search icon above and just enter "auxiliary", open a nice bottle of something red and wrap your head around the legal nuances...
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

William K. Bolan

Ok. So yeah thats the wallet that holds the aux id card for the uscg aux. The uscg aux id card is fancier than CAP, but, We are a better organization than the uscg aux

THRAWN

Quote from: William K. Bolan on February 10, 2016, 05:49:37 PM
Ok. So yeah thats the wallet that holds the aux id card for the uscg aux. The uscg aux id card is fancier than CAP, but, We are a better organization than the uscg aux

Define "better". They do a lot in the coastal communities, especially during boating season, to maintain a good level of safety and outreach among the recreational boating community. Sure they don't have a CP, but they do have a closer relationship with their parent service, the ability to augment AD units ashore and afloat...little things...
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

William K. Bolan

Homeland Security, Disaster Recovery, SAR. Emergency support services to the USAF. Might be more dont know If I named them all

William K. Bolan

like the uscg aux, we do things year round. I forgot to mention cadet programs with the other one

THRAWN

They are a part of a DHS component, and they do a lot of DR, SAR, emergency support in the form of MSCA missions, air transport, education and training outreach and boating safety classes and they operate year round. Walk into a Coast Guard station, and I guarantee that you'll find at least one Auxie. There was a blind CAP member named Robert Dittman who was also an Auxie. Big big into commo. Used to stand radio watches and went afloat a few times with his furry companion, Harriet. Point being, which org is "better" is subjective.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

William K. Bolan

MHC5096

You might be surprised. There are 7 active Coast Guard Auxiliary flotillas in Arizona with approximately 208 members total. Lakes and rivers...
Mark H. Crary
Lt Col, CAP (1990-Present)
DDC-P, CGAUX (2011-Present)
MSgt, USAF (1995-2011)
QM2, USN (1989-1995)

William K. Bolan

wow. I did not know that. Learn something new everyday I guess

AirAux

Wait. What??  I thought we were part of the TOTAL FORCE????

Raikkonen

Quote from: THRAWN on February 10, 2016, 05:40:46 PM
Quote from: Raikkonen on February 10, 2016, 05:36:37 PM

Nope. Check the rules. They are ALWAYS USCG Aux. We are sometimes USAF Aux and sometimes CAP corporate. There has been a lot of chatter about this. Hit the search icon above and just enter "auxiliary", open a nice bottle of something red and wrap your head around the legal nuances...

I'll check it out.  This is interesting to me.  Especially since, "the auxiliary is a part of the total force Air Force"  lol.   I knew those words meant nothing. 

Spam

Quote from: Garibaldi on February 10, 2016, 05:38:09 PM

Yep. A paper one that fell apart the first time I took an unscheduled swim in a creek on an FTX.

Good job there, Prince Namor of Atlantis (aka Aquaman).

I still have my first one, paper as you say with blue runny ink, and data printed with a dot matrix printer. "Signed" by General Howard Brookfield, CAP.

V/R
SPam

SarDragon

My oldest ones, from the '60s, were done on a letterform impact device. By '87, when I rejoined, they were done on a dot matrix printer.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ColonelJack

Quote from: Spam on February 11, 2016, 05:35:49 AM

I still have my first one, paper as you say with blue runny ink, and data printed with a dot matrix printer. "Signed" by General Howard Brookfield, CAP.

V/R
SPam

Got you one better, my friend ... my first card (1981) has Gen. Johnnie Boyd's "signature" stamped on it.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Alaric

V/R
SPam

Prince Namor is Sub-Mariner (Marvel)

Arthur Curry is Aquaman (DC)

William K. Bolan

Were a part of the Air Force Total Force as "Airmen". that does mean something, a title that comes with great responsibility. We gotta be better than we were before; more uptight.

Garibaldi

Quote from: ColonelJack on February 11, 2016, 10:51:54 AM

V/R
SPam

Got you one better, my friend ... my first card (1981) has Gen. Johnnie Boyd's "signature" stamped on it.

Jack

Same here.

JeffDG

Quote from: AirAux on February 10, 2016, 09:51:01 PM
Wait. What??  I thought we were part of the TOTAL FORCE????
Read the announcement on that.  Only when on an AFAM are we part of the Total Force.  Your weekly meeting, nope.

JeffDG

Quote from: William K. Bolan on February 11, 2016, 12:55:18 PM
Were a part of the Air Force Total Force as "Airmen". that does mean something, a title that comes with great responsibility. We gotta be better than we were before; more uptight.
Only on an AFAM.

Garibaldi

So that really begs the question. If we are only the auxiliary when we are on an AFAM, why are we still saying we're the auxiliary? We should be a separate corporate entity. We should be one or the other 100% of the time, not just when/because.

Toth

Quote from: Garibaldi on February 11, 2016, 05:00:54 PM
So that really begs the question. If we are only the auxiliary when we are on an AFAM, why are we still saying we're the auxiliary? We should be a separate corporate entity. We should be one or the other 100% of the time, not just when/because.

Honestly I agree, I'm kinda sick of this half and half crap, either we need to be the auxiliary or we need to be a corporation. I personally feel like if we are wearing the uniforms and flying the planes, be it at weekly meetings or otherwise, we should be the auxiliary. If we want to get our own planes for our own uses and wear blueberries all the time, we should be a corporation. One or the other, not both.
SM Toth Mendius, CAP
C/CC RMR-MT-053 (ret.), RMR Ass't Rep NCAC (ret.)
Mitchell #65174, Earhart #17361
GES, ♦ICUT, ♦FLM, GTM3, UDF, SET, MS, MRO, EMT, *GTM2

William K. Bolan

I feel that we should be considered airmen under our own corporation. no half and half.

How do you guys feel about if we were to become paid, and cap become a job? Just curious. Me, I'd like it.

THRAWN

Quote from: William K. Bolan on February 11, 2016, 05:50:18 PM
I feel that we should be considered airmen under our own corporation. no half and half.

How do you guys feel about if we were to become paid, and cap become a job? Just curious. Me, I'd like it.

They have that. It's called the Air Force.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

William K. Bolan

but I do agree. Either Auxiliary or our own corporation

Toth

Quote from: THRAWN on February 11, 2016, 05:52:34 PM

I don't think we should be paid necessarily, but I certainly wouldn't mind if cadets were given a small stipend for attending encampment or similar activities. The Royal Air Cadets of Canada do this and it really encourages attendance at summer activities and makes attending them much more competitive. I also wish we had more funding to help cadets go to activities, but I understand that the total force thing has helped with this a bit as far as funding goes. Good luck getting CAP members paid, Thrawn was right about that, it's called the Air Force xD
SM Toth Mendius, CAP
C/CC RMR-MT-053 (ret.), RMR Ass't Rep NCAC (ret.)
Mitchell #65174, Earhart #17361
GES, ♦ICUT, ♦FLM, GTM3, UDF, SET, MS, MRO, EMT, *GTM2

LSThiker

Quote from: THRAWN on February 11, 2016, 05:52:34 PM

Also the paid NHQ Staff :)

FW

It's nice to see we're back to the "on off" status of CAP... I'm wondering if there are more ABU threads, or "off on" threads? 

As I understand things (what do I know?)  CAP is always a corporation, and its members (and the corporation) serve as the Air Force Aux. when the Air Force pays for missions (AFAM).  Is this a real problem, or something we on CAPTalk like to argue about... 

BTW; Big Blue subsidized the encampment costs of quite a few cadets last summer.  It would be great if they expanded the program to include all who wanted to attend.  Having all cadet activities covered as an AFAM would expand our "status" as the Aux quite a bit...

Either way, my pay stays constant!  8)

stillamarine

Quote from: SarDragon on February 11, 2016, 06:38:58 AM
My oldest ones, from the '60s, were done on a letterform impact device. By '87, when I rejoined, they were done on a dot matrix printer.

Don't forget the metal one you could order from the CAP Bookstore Catalog....I may still have mine somewhere.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

THRAWN

Quote from: FW on February 11, 2016, 06:12:16 PM
It's nice to see we're back to the "on off" status of CAP... I'm wondering if there are more ABU threads, or "off on" threads? 

As I understand things (what do I know?)  CAP is always a corporation, and its members (and the corporation) serve as the Air Force Aux. when the Air Force pays for missions (AFAM).  Is this a real problem, or something we on CAPTalk like to argue about... 

BTW; Big Blue subsidized the encampment costs of quite a few cadets last summer.  It would be great if they expanded the program to include all who wanted to attend.  Having all cadet activities covered as an AFAM would expand our "status" as the Aux quite a bit...

Interesting concept. It would sure increase the levels of attendance.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

JeffDG

Quote from: FW on February 11, 2016, 06:12:16 PM

Encampment isn't an AFAM regardless of money.

Money <> AFAM.  If you are on a B5 SAREX, the Air Force isn't paying, but you're on an AFAM.

FW

^That can be changed by an order of the SECAF.  Life really isn't that difficult; it just needs to be lived... ;D

Raikkonen

After talking to a Coasty Auxiliary person on another forum, I have learned a lot. 

Maybe the future generations can make the argument to align us more with the Air Force and stop the half and half thing.  I mean, it's been done before... we dropped torpedoes on target at one time and the Coast Guard has apparently figured out how to do it effectively.  I know we are never to serve in a combat role again but I'm just thinking out loud here. 

Now I'm really going to stir the pot  >:D ... maybe... just maybe, our officers should have an education requirement like NOAA and Merchant Marine officers do (like us, neither of them are the military and not allowed into combat).  Like a real commission.   CAP would function just fine with seniors filling roles that don't meet that requirement (we could see the NCO Corp come back... scary) and the ones that do... well, they truly would be the leaders of the "force" and would probably be listened to a little more from our counterparts.  CG Aux. officers are far and few between and serve in pretty important roles.  They also have a lot more respect from the active CG too.  We would really have to do some lessons learned stuff and start taking our role more seriously.  We want to wear the blue uniform, we should represent it appropriately.   Then, we can stop calling it Civil Air Patrol and start calling it The Air Force Auxiliary for reals.

Flame on ladies and gentlemen.  Flame on.   ;D

THRAWN

Quote from: Raikkonen on February 11, 2016, 09:03:47 PM
After talking to a Coasty Auxiliary person on another forum, I have learned a lot. 

Maybe the future generations can make the argument to align us more with the Air Force and stop the half and half thing.  I mean, it's been done before... we dropped torpedoes on target at one time and the Coast Guard has apparently figured out how to do it effectively.  I know we are never to serve in a combat role again but I'm just thinking out loud here. 

Now I'm really going to stir the pot  >:D ... maybe... just maybe, our officers should have an education requirement like NOAA and Merchant Marine officers do (like us, neither of them are the military and not allowed into combat).  Like a real commission.   CAP would function just fine with seniors filling roles that don't meet that requirement (we could see the NCO Corp come back... scary) and the ones that do... well, they truly would be the leaders of the "force" and would probably be listened to a little more from our counterparts.  CG Aux. officers are far and few between and serve in pretty important roles.  They also have a lot more respect from the active CG too.  We would really have to do some lessons learned stuff and start taking our role more seriously.  We want to wear the blue uniform, we should represent it appropriately.   Then, we can stop calling it Civil Air Patrol and start calling it The Air Force Auxiliary for reals.

Been discussed to death. Hit up that search feature...
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

THRAWN

Quote from: FW on February 11, 2016, 06:53:32 PM
^That can be changed by an order of the SECAF.  Life really isn't that difficult; it just needs to be lived... ;D

Rules just can't change! There are rules against that!
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Raikkonen

Quote from: THRAWN on February 11, 2016, 09:09:58 PM

Been discussed to death. Hit up that search feature...

But if I do that then we won't have anything to get heated about.    >:D   

SarDragon

Oh, there is plethora of things out there to get all het up about.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Garibaldi

Quote from: SarDragon on February 11, 2016, 09:43:12 PM
Oh, there is plethora of things out there to get all het up about.

So we kan haz teh digitalz nao?

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

THRAWN

AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

SarDragon

Kool is a matter of opinion,  and we know all about those.[emoji14]
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Luis R. Ramos

Since the Coast Guard Auxiliary is always auxiliary and they have a nice ID card...

Maybe we could have a nice ID card like they have for when we are the USAF Auxiliary? The rest of the time we use the crappy one we have now...

>:D
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Fubar

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on February 12, 2016, 01:26:30 AMMaybe we could have a nice ID card like they have for when we are the USAF Auxiliary? The rest of the time we use the crappy one we have now...

Two sided perhaps? Nice and official looking on one side, inkjet printed on the other.

NIN

What ever happened to Robert?
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Luis R. Ramos

Squadron Safety Officer

PHall

Luis R. Ramos

D__n, fell for that old trick!

:-\
Squadron Safety Officer

William K. Bolan

RRLE

CG Aux. officers are far and few between and serve in pretty important roles.

I churn CGAux stats for a hobby.  ;) RiverAux also follows them. At any given time, at least 1/3 of the CGAux are currently serving officers, either elected or appointed. CGAux officers hold office, not rank. The insignia is office insignia not rank insignia.

If you then throw in the past officers, who are allowed to wear their highest office attained, so long as they held it for more than half a term, then a huge chunk of the CGAux can walk around wearing "stars, bars, chickens or leaves". Past officers have to wear the Past Officer Device, if the insignia they are wearing is not their current office.

Someone asked about Robert. If you mean Robert "D", I last emailed him about a year ago. He graduated law school and was admitted to the Texas Bar. He has his own law practice. I believe his specialties are family law and law related to the disabled. Robert "D" designed and got approved the current CGAux ID.

NIN

Quote from: Fubar on February 12, 2016, 02:58:05 AM
Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on February 12, 2016, 01:26:30 AMMaybe we could have a nice ID card like they have for when we are the USAF Auxiliary? The rest of the time we use the crappy one we have now...

Two sided perhaps? Nice and official looking on one side, inkjet printed on the other.

I had one of those on my flightsuit last night :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

THRAWN

AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

NIN

Who would pay us? 

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Ned

Out of curiosity, on average how often do each of us have to show our ID cards to anyone outside of CAP?

I've been in for 40+ years (pretty active all things considered) and I'd have to say that I have to show it less than once a year.  IOW, I've had a number of ID cards that never saw daylight before they were replaced.

My guess would be that members who meet on a military installation might have to show it every week plus the occasional Clothing Sales run, but what about the rest of us?

Anyone?

Garibaldi

Quote from: Ned on February 12, 2016, 03:02:45 PM
Out of curiosity, on average how often do each of us have to show our ID cards to anyone outside of CAP?

I've been in for 40+ years (pretty active all things considered) and I'd have to say that I have to show it less than once a year.  IOW, I've had a number of ID cards that never saw daylight before they were replaced.

My guess would be that members who meet on a military installation might have to show it every week plus the occasional Clothing Sales run, but what about the rest of us?

Anyone?

I've only shown it in house, at SAREXs. I don't take advantage of discounts when I buy at a surplus shop, so pretty much never outside CAP. Or the couple of occasions I need to get into Dobbins to pick up our COV. So, all told maybe 3 times a year. Possibly less.

William K. Bolan

United States Govt. NOT Air Force paying us. Payment like weekly pay or biweekly. 500+ weekly or biweekly

William K. Bolan

outside of CAP I am not sure who would need to see our ID cards

THRAWN

Quote from: Ned on February 12, 2016, 03:02:45 PM

Anyone?

It varies. Weekly (sometimes more) when I was with units on bases. Monthly when I had to hit the ANG station to do PME tests. Occasionally for car rentals or other discounts. On average, I'd say 3-5 times per month.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

THRAWN

Quote from: William K. Bolan on February 12, 2016, 03:14:19 PM

Then why are you so concerned about what they're made of and how they look?
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

jeders

Quote from: William K. Bolan on February 12, 2016, 03:13:17 PM
United States Govt. NOT Air Force paying us. Payment like weekly pay or biweekly. 500+ weekly or biweekly

If we got regular paychecks for doing CAP, then why would the Air Force keep us around? If you want to get paid for doing this, go join the military.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Garibaldi

Our FECA (unemployment compensation) pay rate is something like a GS-9, which is like $24 an hour. I guess it would be OK for a pay-per-play basis. But, that only applies if we are injured on an AFAM. If we were paid for what we are worth, it would be much less. I would say around $10 to $15 an hour, for those hours we are actually on the clock. Still cheaper than the guard/reserve, but do you expect Uncle Sam to fork out more money?

NIN

Quote from: Garibaldi on February 12, 2016, 03:29:27 PM
Still cheaper than the guard/reserve, but do you expect Uncle Sam to fork out more money?

That was kind of my point.  The government gives the Air Force (via appropriations) the money for CAP already.

But its not like the Federal Government has a gigantic pot of money they'd be likely to break out and say "Oh, look, we have a few million here that we're not doing anything with.. how about we pay those nice Civil Air Patrol people so they can do more of their Missions for America?"

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

goblin

Quote from: jeders on February 12, 2016, 03:21:51 PM

If we got regular paychecks for doing CAP, then why would the Air Force keep us around? If you want to get paid for doing this, go join the military.

This.

You want to dress like the Air Force? Get paid by the Air Force? Have ID cards like the Air Force?

Easy. Join the Air Force.

CAP is great for what it is; and the fact that the Air Force can use us cheaply and effectively when necessary is the whole point of our existence.

Garibaldi

Quote from: NIN on February 12, 2016, 03:36:33 PM
Still cheaper than the guard/reserve, but do you expect Uncle Sam to fork out more money?

That was kind of my point.  The government gives the Air Force (via appropriations) the money for CAP already.

But its not like the Federal Government has a gigantic pot of money they'd be likely to break out and say "Oh, look, we have a few million here that we're not doing anything with.. how about we pay those nice Civil Air Patrol people so they can do more of their Missions for America?"

More like: "We have a few million we're not doing anything with. Let's have a feasibility study on some new stealth weapons, or better MREs, or making our swivel chairs move better."
"Sir, what about the Civil Air Patrol? They could use some more money."
"The what now? Swivel...chair....what?"
"They are part of the total force now. They could use some extra bucks for uniforms and training."
"Never heard of them. Anyway, how about lunch? I'm thinking a catered lunch from Subway. Order us some of those giant sandwiches. And don't be stingy with the tip!"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: NIN on February 12, 2016, 02:59:12 AM

I remember him from the CGAux forum on military.com.  He is a nonsighted person who is now an attorney, but I don't know if he's still an Auxiliarist.

As someone who has been a member of both organisations (CAP and CGAux), I wouldn't necessarily define which one is "better" overall, but there are some very sharp differences, not least the perception of parent services.

CG knows who their Auxiliarists are.  Outside of top brass and local bases, most in the AF don't know/don't care about CAP.

No cadets in CGAux, but NSCC gets a fair bit of support from the CG.

No ranks in CGAux, but a lot of confusing alphabet-soup "office symbols."

Auxiliarists do not salute one another, but do salute commissioned/warrant officers and are probably more often saluted by military personnel.

Much more direct oversight by parent service. 

Concept of Form 2B nonexistent in CGAux.  Most personnel issues have to go through CG.

About .0001% of uniform controversies in CGAux viz. CAP, though there are small numbers of CGAux who would ditch the CG uniform altogether.  "Fat and fuzzies" not prohibited from wearing CG uniform.

CGAux can be awarded many CG ribbons/medals in addition to their own.  CAP is not permitted award of AF medals, not even civilian ones.

Leaders are mostly elected in CGAux.  I often felt odd with "Ensign" or "LTJG" type insignia addressing a four-piston-ring "Captain" by first name.

ALL missions issued by CG

No AUXON/AUXOFF

Never heard any apocryphal stories of CGAux demanding salutes from military.

You decide.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

William K. Bolan

Quote from: Garibaldi on February 12, 2016, 06:41:24 PM
Quote from: NIN on February 12, 2016, 03:36:33 PM

More like: "We have a few million we're not doing anything with. Let's have a feasibility study on some new stealth weapons, or better MREs, or making our swivel chairs move better."
"Sir, what about the Civil Air Patrol? They could use some more money."
"The what now? Swivel...chair....what?"
"They are part of the total force now. They could use some extra bucks for uniforms and training."
"Never heard of them. Anyway, how about lunch? I'm thinking a catered lunch from Subway. Order us some of those giant sandwiches. And don't be stingy with the tip!"

The CyBorg is destroyed

CAP was paid in WWII.

My first squadron had an older member (now deceased) whose brother served in the WWII CAP, I think as an airfield guard.  I don't know how much he was paid, but he was paid.

If I were still in CAP, I wouldn't want monetary compensation...just a little recognition.

I doubt that many retired military who join CAP, the CGAUX (I'm betting the Temporary Reserve was paid in WWII as well) or most SDF's (some are paid if called up, but that is rare) would want that either, since it would likely interfere with their retirement benefits.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

William K. Bolan

I'm not suggesting that we get paid, but I was thinking it might be a good idea in the future. Im not worried about the look of our ID cards, I am worried about the strength of them. But it really doesnt matter.

THRAWN

Quote from: William K. Bolan on February 17, 2016, 01:02:51 PM
I'm not suggesting that we get paid, but I was thinking it might be a good idea in the future. Im not worried about the look of our ID cards, I am worried about the strength of them. But it really doesnt matter.
Plus this: "United States Govt. NOT Air Force paying us. Payment like weekly pay or biweekly. 500+ weekly or biweekly"

Are you running for congress?
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

William K. Bolan

You're kidding, right? Me in congress is a joke. But my ideas were suggestions.

Майор Хаткевич

$125-250/ hour? Niiice.

RRLE

Quote from: CyBorg on February 16, 2016, 10:46:13 PM
the CGAUX (I'm betting the Temporary Reserve was paid in WWII as well)

It is a common misconception that the WWII USCG Temporary Reserves (TRs) were part of the USCG Aux. The Aux, in some of  its official literature, blurs that line. All TRs were members of the Real Military USCG and subject to the then Articles of War, now UCMJ. No Auxie  was ever subject to either.

The TRs were composed of several groups. Some of those groups, such as the USCG Police (guarded factories), US NWS weatherman stationed on Navy Ships and USCG Cutters and the all female SPARS never were part of the Aux. Many of the US Coastal Patrol and Volunteer Port Security Force were forced to join the Aux for training and security clearance. Once trained and cleared, they were part of the TRs. Whether they kept up their Aux affiliation was up to them. Most dropped the Aux affiliation in the immediate post war years.

William K. Bolan

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on February 18, 2016, 02:24:04 AM

$125-250/ hour? Niiice.

MHC5096

You are aware that the USAF is a component of the DOD which is part of the U.S. Government, right?  ::)
Mark H. Crary
Lt Col, CAP (1990-Present)
DDC-P, CGAUX (2011-Present)
MSgt, USAF (1995-2011)
QM2, USN (1989-1995)

William K. Bolan

Yes, I put that into consideration; how the usaf is part of the dod and the government

Raikkonen

Quote from: CyBorg on February 13, 2016, 03:45:41 PM
Quote from: NIN on February 12, 2016, 02:59:12 AM

I remember him from the CGAux forum on military.com.  He is a nonsighted person who is now an attorney, but I don't know if he's still an Auxiliarist.

As someone who has been a member of both organisations (CAP and CGAux), I wouldn't necessarily define which one is "better" overall, but there are some very sharp differences, not least the perception of parent services.

CG knows who their Auxiliarists are.  Outside of top brass and local bases, most in the AF don't know/don't care about CAP.

No cadets in CGAux, but NSCC gets a fair bit of support from the CG.

No ranks in CGAux, but a lot of confusing alphabet-soup "office symbols."

Auxiliarists do not salute one another, but do salute commissioned/warrant officers and are probably more often saluted by military personnel.

Much more direct oversight by parent service. 

Concept of Form 2B nonexistent in CGAux.  Most personnel issues have to go through CG.

About .0001% of uniform controversies in CGAux viz. CAP, though there are small numbers of CGAux who would ditch the CG uniform altogether.  "Fat and fuzzies" not prohibited from wearing CG uniform.

CGAux can be awarded many CG ribbons/medals in addition to their own.  CAP is not permitted award of AF medals, not even civilian ones.

Leaders are mostly elected in CGAux.  I often felt odd with "Ensign" or "LTJG" type insignia addressing a four-piston-ring "Captain" by first name.

ALL missions issued by CG

No AUXON/AUXOFF

Never heard any apocryphal stories of CGAux demanding salutes from military.

You decide.

That's a TON of really good info!  Thank you!!!

USACAP

Actually ...
Everyone.
If you show up @ a wide host of Federally managed incidents and activities, you need a HSPD-12 compliant CAC.
The card is scanned via barcode or chip and all the user's info is stored in it.
Given the post-disaster missions CAP has, it actually makes sense to have a CAC ... That said, it'd be a goatrope to manage an ID program like that for CAP.

Yep.
They get enrolled DHS CAC/PIV-I cards.
They tie-in to USCG units for support in a way CAP does not affiliate directly w/ a USAF sponsor unit.

... their cards are issued by DHS and HSPD-12 compliant.

abdsp51

Quote from: USACAP on March 01, 2016, 04:45:13 AM
Actually ...
Everyone.
If you show up @ a wide host of Federally managed incidents and activities, you need a HSPD-12 compliant CAC.
The card is scanned via barcode or chip and all the user's info is stored in it.
Given the post-disaster missions CAP has, it actually makes sense to have a CAC ... That said, it'd be a goatrope to manage an ID program like that for CAP.

Yep.
They get enrolled DHS CAC/PIV-I cards.
They tie-in to USCG units for support in a way CAP does not affiliate directly w/ a USAF sponsor unit.

... their cards are issued by DHS and HSPD-12 compliant.

You really need to learn how to use the quote system..