Major and above not able to take SOS at Air University

Started by tonyairplane, October 23, 2011, 05:36:36 PM

tonyairplane

I applied through work as a DoD civilian, and received a reply via email and postcard that I was ineligible due to my GS grade level being too high (GS15.)  So I applied again as a CAP member, and received a postcard and email saying that my CAP rank was too high (Major.) So I talked with National, and was told that they are holding firm (cracking down were her words) on the requirements for BS degree and maximum rank.  I asked why would they not allow CAP Majors to take a course that they need for LTC?  Her answer was that it was never allowed, that Air Force officers have already taken the course before becoming majors, and that Air University is cracking down now because the Air Force is really angry at CAP due to cheating on Air University tests at the highest levels of CAP.  She wouldn't elaborate so I have no idea what she meant but now all of us majors are in a pickle.

The situation is this:  if you take SOS as a CAP captain or lower, you can be eligible for LTC later.  If you wait to take it until you're a major, you will be rejected.

Had I known, if anyone had advised or told me, I would have taken it before becoming a major.  So now I guess I and the other majors either have to take two weekends and a week away from our families and jobs (which I cannot due now or for the foreseeable future), or be stuck at major forever.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get past this roadblock?

capmaj

Who was the "she" that said....... " the Air Force is really angry at CAP due to cheating on Air University tests at the highest levels of CAP "? If this is something new, that's one thing. But if "she" is referring to HWSRN, that's a load of BS. It might be a load of BS anyway.

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

tonyairplane

Actually, we talked about that at a squadron meeting - all majors needing the course could request demotions.

Or CAP could work with AU to fix the problem I guess.  Not sure that the former would be good for morale, and not too encouraged about the groups working together.

tonyairplane

I have the lady's name at work, but not sure that I want to post it.

What's HWSRN?

davidsinn

Quote from: tonyairplane on October 23, 2011, 06:02:14 PM

What's HWSRN?

"He Who Shall Remain Nameless" The guy before Gen Courter.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

coudano

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 23, 2011, 05:57:37 PM
Request a demotion.

winner :)

or just take Air Command Staff College instead.
or go to region staff college

PHall

Quote from: davidsinn on October 23, 2011, 06:17:18 PM

What's HWSRN?

He was the one who cheated on the Air University tests she was referring to.

davidsinn

Quote from: PHall on October 23, 2011, 06:31:27 PM

What's HWSRN?

That was quite a while ago. They need to learn to let things go.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

N Harmon

Wow, I am glad to know this. I enrolled in SoS once but had to withdraw. I really want to complete it, but I probably will not have the spare time for a few years. In the mean time, I will be holding off on getting promoted.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

capmaj

Pacific Region Staff College dates at Nellis for 2012 are April 21-27. RSC is a solution.

tonyairplane

Of course it would be, but taking a week and the Sunday before and Saturday after isn't an option for me right now.

To me, if CAP is going to offer something that has been made unavailable, then maybe they could work with AU to grandfather us existing majors in, and let us take the course.  Then make sure that in the future, it is taken at the captain level.

Or maybe they could come up with a CAP version of the course for distance learning; or just waive it for us.

RiverAux

Too high a CAP rank?  That is just ridiculous. 

Oh well, wasn't really worried about becoming an Lt. Col. anyway, but I guess its not going to ever happen.

Eclipse

RSC is supposed to be the solution, SOS was something we had access to for a while, just as cadets could do ECI 13.

We can't anymore.  it is what it is.

A lot of people make hay out of the fact that we have too many field grade officers who don't participate at the level expected
in a CAP context, one of the reasons we got where we are is that there we, and still are, far too many shortcuts to getting to the
higher grades, and few expectations once you get there.  So things are changing, and there won't be as many Lt. Col's.

Is this bad?

For what it's worth, I never heard of any expectation that SOS be done at the Captain level, that doesn't make sense in CAP's
context, so perhaps you've run into the same wall of misunderstanding that those who are told we can't shop at AAFES hit.

"That Others May Zoom"

NCRblues

Quote from: Eclipse on October 23, 2011, 08:47:59 PM
RSC is supposed to be the solution, SOS was something we had access to for a while, just as cadets could do ECI 13.

We can't anymore.  it is what it is.

A lot of people make hay out of the fact that we have too many field grade officers who don't participate at the level expected
in a CAP context, one of the reasons we got where we are is that there we, and still are, far too many shortcuts to getting to the
higher grades, and few expectations once you get there.  So things are changing, and there won't be as many Lt. Col's.

Is this bad?

For what it's worth, I never heard of any expectation that SOS be done at the Captain level, that doesn't make sense in CAP's
context, so perhaps you've run into the same wall of misunderstanding that those who are told we can't shop at AAFES hit.

It's not a bad thing at all. My wing has way too many light birds that do nothing. We also run into the problem with someone who is unwilling to change with the times because "im a lt. Col and this is how we have always done it".

I do not think thinning the heard of high rank officers is a bad thing. Lt. Col. is supposed to mean you are an expert in your area, and way to many times that simply is not the case because of what I call "check box officers".
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

RiverAux

Quote from: Eclipse on October 23, 2011, 08:47:59 PM
Keep in mind that the perception that we are top heavy is wrong.  CAP officer numbers by grade fall out into the same sort of pyramid shape that you see in the military. 

That being said, I agree with you about eliminating shortcuts though the vast majority of CAP officers (about 75%) do follow the standard CAP PD program to get to their grade, especially at the higher levels.

tonyairplane

Eclipse, just wondering, where it says that (that RSC is the way)?

Also, we still can take SOS, and it will still count toward Lt. Col., it just has to be done when one is a captain. 

So I am not sure that I understand your reasoning.

RiverAux

One could also spin this as the AF saying that CAP Majors are equivalent to AF Majors    >:D

PHall

Quote from: davidsinn on October 23, 2011, 06:36:23 PM

What's HWSRN?

That was a major test compromise for them. They don't forget stuff like that.

MSG Mac

Quote from: PHall on October 23, 2011, 11:51:42 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on October 23, 2011, 06:36:23 PM

What's HWSRN?

That was a major test compromise for them. They don't forget stuff like that.

It's more than the cheating incident. It's an investigation by AU as to how the test was compromised and if their were any other incidents ties into it, They have to rewrite all the versions of the test, and if they were under the UCMJ court martial for lying and cheating. following which they would be drummed out of the service. 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member