Main Menu

How long for rank

Started by drmustang66, August 18, 2011, 10:41:58 PM

drmustang66

I have been a SM member of CAP for 1 year. Three months ago I applied for the rank of Capt. I hold a PhD with 20 years as a university professor. The squadron commander sent the paperwork to group 10 weeks ago. So far no rank. How long does the process take? I am also a transport pilot for the unit.

arajca

What is the basis for the fast promotion?

spacecommand

Capt requires group/wing approval.  Depending on the politics of your wing, it can be fast or it can be slow. 

Also what is your position in your unit?
(for example are you a Health Services, Aerospace Education, Legal or Finance?)

If you are a pilot, are you a CFI/CFII or ATP ?

(CAPR 35-5 outlines appointments and promotions).

Just having a PhD or 20 years as a university professor doesn't help much in CAP if you taught Native American history (an example, not saying you do/did).

For example, we have a member who is a doctor in our unit, if he served as our Medical Officer he can be professionally appointed to Captain, however, he decided he wanted to do something else in the unit (totally unrelated to medical/health services), so he's going through the same grade promotion track as other members. 

drmustang66

CAP Regulation 50-17 and CAP 35-5.

SECTION E -PROFESSIONAL APPOINTMENTS AND PROMOTIONS

2) Captain. A professional educator who has served as a teacher, counselor, school administrator, college or university professor (full, associate or assistant) or other faculty member for a minimum of 5 years. The professional education service requirement is reduced from 5 years to 3 years for members with an earned masters degree.

3) Major. A professional educator with an earned doctorate degree who has served as a teacher, counselor, school administrator, college or university professor (full, associate or assistant) or other faculty member, for a minimum of 5 years and has served 1 year time-in-grade as a captain may be appointed to the grade of major.

drmustang66

I also hold a CFI and am the Aerospace Education Officer.

Eclipse

How is your education and experience, specifically, going to be used in service to CAP?

Being an educator, Dr., or POTUS doesn't mean much if you aren't bringing it to the meetings.

"That Others May Zoom"

drmustang66

Are we following Cap regulations or not? As AEO I should be under the following rules:

e. Aerospace Education Officers. A CAP aerospace education officer is an officer serving in an aerospace education position at any level of CAP. For the purpose of promotion under the professional appointments method the aerospace education officer must also be fully certified as a professional educator (teacher, counselor, or administrator) by the state department of education in the member's state of residence or have served as a college or university professor (full, associate or assistant) or other faculty member.

lordmonar

Don't feed the Troll.....you just touched one of his buttons.

10 weeks is a little long.

Have your CC or Personnel officer ping Group and find out if there is a hold up.

Having said that.

No promotion is automatic and there are some wings that have unwritten rules and other BS that you may have to wade through.

In the mean time....you have enought TIG for 2d Lt...so get your CC to do the 2a for that and have him follow up on the Capt through channels.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: drmustang66 on August 18, 2011, 11:20:31 PM
Are we following Cap regulations or not? As AEO I should be under the following rules:

Eligible does not mean qualified, or worthy. 

You still haven't answered the actual question.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ford73Diesel

Quote from: Eclipse on August 18, 2011, 11:36:26 PM

Eligible does not mean qualified, or worthy. 

You still haven't answered the actual question.

I'm pretty sure that is for his command to decide. He has met the requirements to be eligible per CAP regulations, and his CC sent his paperwork in.

drmustang66

Dear Eclipse

OK  I'll bite.  Does this answer your question?

Perfect attendance at all meetings and:

Pilot Rating   OPS-CAPPilot   24 Jul 2011   Does not Expire
SET - Skills Evaluator   OPS-Emergency_Services   30 Jul 2011   Does not Expire
TMP - Transport Mission Pilot   OPS-Emergency_Services   24 Jul 2011   Does not Expire
GES - General Emergency Services   OPS-Emergency_Services   17 Jun 2011   Does not Expire
IS100 - IS-100   OPS-Emergency_Services   03 Jun 2011   Does not Expire
IS700 - IS-700   OPS-Emergency_Services   03 Jun 2011   Does not Expire
Aircraft Ground Handling   CAP_Multimedia   31 May 2011
ORM Basic   ONLINE   05 Jun 2011
ORM Intermed.   ONLINE   05 Jun 2011
CAP Test 116 GES Questionnaire   MIMS   17 Jun 2011
CAPT 117 ES Continuing Education Exam - Part 1   MIMS   17 Jun 2011
CAPT 117 ES Continuing Education Exam - Part 2   MIMS   17 Jun 2011
CAPT 117 ES Continuing Education Exam - Part 3   MIMS   17 Jun 2011
AEPSM   ONLINE   18 Jun 2011
Senior Rating Exam: Communications   ONLINE   19 Jun 2011
Technician Rating Exam: AE   ONLINE   17 Jul 2011
Basic Instructor Course   ONLINE   30 Jul 2011
Wing Runner Test   MIMS   15 Aug 2011

YEAGER      18 Jun 2011

Eclipse

No.

I asked what you are doing to contribute to your squadron which would justify your request for advanced promotion, not what you have crammed into a couple of hours of online tests.  Further, you indicated that yo requested your advanced promotion before you did the work you list, which means
you actually requested the railroad tracks before you were qualified to do much of anything.

Everything in your list above is found in every new member's eservices screen within the first few months.  The majority are pre-requisites to actually doing anything.

Your degrees, abilities, and pilot's license don't mean much until you actually do something with them that benefits your unit's members.

I also see you have rescinded your offer of a degree based on my comparative service. 

"That Others May Zoom"

Thrashed

For some reason there are people in CAP who think no one should ever promote above them or in a matter that they don't like. This guy's experience and education is equivalent to a Col or Gen in the military. He has a lot to offer and he has volunteered his time and experience to the CAP. It sounds like he deserves Capt; he has more than earned it in more than one way (teacher/AEO or pilot/CAP pilot). People like this eventually give up on CAP because of all the crap they have to go through just to contribute to the organization. He has come on this board (OK, that's his first mistake  :D) and asked for information. Let's not second guess who and what he is and answer the questions as best we can without any bias one way or another.

Promotions are different in every wing. I've seen a simple promotion take six months. They can get stuck at the squadron, group, or wing level. Some wings hold promotion reviews infrequently. To answer your question, "How long does it take?" That varies, but I wouldn't worry yet. I've seen it take a long time. Hang in there and don't let this board or organization get you down. There will be times when you will want to walk away from it all. Relax, don't give up, take a break when you need it.  Thanks for your time and good luck.

Save the triangle thingy

SJFedor

And above all else, yes, 10 weeks is a little bit more than I've seen with some others (but not all). Your best bet is to address it with your unit commander and have them follow up with the next echelon.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Eclipse

Yes, we get people all the time who walk in the door with no experience in CAP, who request bling on day one, and then leave without ever doing anything.  That's just as detrimental to the moral of the 1Lt's busting their butts with three staff jobs as to the new guy who expects the world because
of potential.

Do, then ask, not the other way around.

In this case the question was "How Long?", with an air of entitlement and likely looking for fodder to push things locally.  Note in the OP the sole
justification is his university history.  Not "I'm flying 10 O-rides a month, and have put together a great rocket program."  Just "I have a degree, give me my tracks."  With a phone call or two he could find out exactly where the request is.   

When asked a direct question the response is a resume of baseline training and nothing on what he has actually done.  Part of the delay could well be the lack of actual CAP activity at the point the request was submitted.

"That Others May Zoom"

SJFedor

Quote from: Eclipse on August 19, 2011, 01:36:30 AM
Yes, we get people all the time who walk in the door with no experience in CAP, who request bling on day one, and then leave without ever doing anything.  That's just as detrimental to the moral of the 1Lt's busting their butts with three staff jobs as to the new guy who expects the world because
of potential.

Do, then ask, not the other way around.

In this case the question was "How Long?", with an air of entitlement and likely looking for fodder to push things locally.  With a phone call or two he could find out exactly where the request is.   

When asked a direct question the response is a resume of baseline training and nothing on what he has actually done.  Part of the delay could well be the lack of actual CAP activity at the point the request was submitted.

Air of entitlement? Dude, get off that horse before you hurt yourself.

All he asked was how long does it normally take? He's asking for the opinion and experiences of his peers. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Instead of being condescending with YOUR "air of entitlement", you could just choose to help the gentleman, address his question in a professional manner, and let life roll on.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations

Eclipse

Perhaps you missed the removed comment the good Dr. made that if my activity in the last 3 months equaled his list above he
would give me a degree...

"That Others May Zoom"

SJFedor

Quote from: Eclipse on August 19, 2011, 01:41:52 AM
Perhaps you missed the removed comment the good Dr. made that if my activity in the last 3 months equaled his list above he
would give me a degree...

Are you in his chain of command? I'd venture a guess and say no

Are you the one signing off on whether he receives this promotion? Again, probably not.

So why are you quizzing him as to his professional resume within CAP, and why he feels he deserves the promotion. Who has the false sense of entitlement here again?

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

Eclipse

He asked why it was taking so long.  I asked what he had done for CAP to deserve the promotion.

He quoted regs as his answer. 

He owes me nothing, but if quoting regs is the only thing he's got, then odds are that's why it is sitting with no response.

From his own posts he says for 8 some months of his first year he attended meetings, then in May he decided to do some online tests and a Form 5.
Anything else?

I am also not quizzing him on his resume.  I asked what he had done for CAP to deserve the advanced promotion.

"That Others May Zoom"

SJFedor

Quote from: Eclipse on August 19, 2011, 01:48:26 AM
He asked why it was taking so long.  I asked what he had done for CAP to deserve the promotion.

Exactly. Instead of answering the man's question and moving on, you chose to engage him in your typical fashion and attempt to bring him down.

What he's done for CAP? In a year, it's hard to do much of anything for CAP with all the minutia required. However, what he brings to the table as a benefit to CAP is quite great. He's invested a significant portion of his life to his education, and should receive something for that.

Granted, i'm sure you worked very hard on your AFIADL 13, SLS, CLC, and the other crackerjack box courses to earn your grade, but I'm willing to bet he's invested just a little bit more of himself into his education than you have.

It's honestly people like you that choose to bring this organization down by actively being hostile and brash to anyone who doesn't fit your little cookie cutter ideals. And that irritates me.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver