Exercise/ Operation Safety Brief Format

Started by smj58501, October 07, 2007, 04:59:48 AM

smj58501

Folks-

I am hoping to do a bit of collaboration here across the vast CAPTalk divide....

If your squadron/ group/ wing has a standardized safety briefing format/ checklist they use as part of an exercise/ operation in brief, would you mind posting it here? IE something your Mission Safety Officers follow to help them ensure they cover "most" bases (obviously they of course still need to do their mission analysis and ensure topics unique to the current situation are covered down on). If you don't have one/ can't find the one you have been using, but have thoughts on what the format/ checklist could contain, feel free to throw them out there.

The end state I am seeking is several lists get posted/ ideas get shared which we can all review and perhaps adopt parts of into our existing briefs. The outcome would hopefully be more comprehensive briefs based on a little bit of information and experience sharing. I hope this does NOT turn into an "ours is better than yours because of this" or "why do/ don't you cover that topic" discussion. This is an electronic form of brainstorming, where we get the ideas on the floor and consolidated. Once complete, people can draw their own conclusions for what works best for their particular situations.

My input to start the ball rolling:
I attempt to do my safety briefs in an ORM-type format if possible. I brief the hazards, initial risk assessment, control measures/ implementation plan, residual risk, and supervision/ AAR plan. Hazard analysis is broken into the areas of:

Hazards inherent to the mission
Hazards inherent to weather and climate
Hazards inherent to the terrain/ area of operations
Hazards inherent to time available to do the mission
Hazards inherent to number/ training/ experience level of members available

Thx!
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

IceNine

Zipped up in a nice little folder for ya.

ILWG ORM Forms.  Not briefings persay BUT, safety type stuff
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

jeders

Quote from: mfd1506 on October 07, 2007, 05:12:20 PM
Zipped up in a nice little folder for ya.

ILWG ORM Forms.  Not briefings persay BUT, safety type stuff

Thanks for that, I was trying to come up with these exact things. This will certainly help us since we don't do flight ops here and all national has that I could find were for flight ops.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

smj58501

Great forms! This is an excellent start. Thx!
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

IceNine

By the way

I didn't make these, I was not involved in making them.

I just use them
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

smj58501

Thats cool. What is important is you put it out there for others to benefit from.

I know this started as a request for a briefing format, but if there are other "good tools" out there for safety lets share them. We can never have too many in our ORM toolbox to choose from.
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP