Main Menu

60-1 FOUO

Started by Tubacap, June 22, 2007, 11:36:20 AM

floridacyclist

If you're not sure if you can send something or not, just send them a link to the material; if it turns out to be on a secure site, it won't work for them anyway. Even if something isa ccidentally posted to the public internet, at least it won't be you sending it to them.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

ELTHunter

Quote from: sardak on June 23, 2007, 06:46:21 AM
Given CAP's role with the Government, it would be inadvisable for CAP to use the term "confidential" except in regards to classified material.

I believe it is acceptable to be labeled "CAP Confidential"  however, CAP Proprietary or CAP sensitive is better.

Quote from: sardak on June 23, 2007, 06:46:21 AM
Who can declare information classified is defined in the above references.  Who can decide it's FOUO is not defined. FOUO is not restricted to the DoD.  DHS for instance, has its own regulation on declaring documents FOUO.  CAP can declare its own documents FOUO.

As I understand it, FOUO was a Government designation that came into voque after 9/11 that could be used across the spectrum of government agencies for stuff that was sensitive or that lower level classifications didn't match from agency to agency.....just my interpretation of what I was told.
[/quote]
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

ELTHunter

Quote from: Mustang on June 22, 2007, 05:26:14 PM
Because whoever wrote that didn't know better?  "FOUO" is an official DOD information security thing.

I've seen lots of people in CAP get "FOUO-happy" lately, all playing "I've got a secret" with themselves, but the fact remains that CAP cannot designate ANYTHING as "FOUO", or SECRET, or TOP SECRET or any other actual security designation.  CAP-USAF can, but CAP cannot.

Ergo, that last line should read 'FOR OFFICIAL CAP USE ONLY", which doesn't carry the same meaning as a US government designation of FOUO.

SUI results may be privileged documents, but that's due to CAP's lawyers.

FOUO is also an official DOE label.  But I agree with your opinion that way to many people in CAP go hog wild with labeling every e-mail they send as FOUO.  If I recall correctly, it's a violation of the rules to label non-classified information as being classified, so most CAP folks are in violation of good OPSEC practices by over use of the designation.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

JCJ

Quote from: BillB on June 23, 2007, 12:31:32 AM
The regulations are so secret, anyone can access them. Access through eServices is NOT required. Log on as general public then at the home screen go to Members, and there are all the forms and publications or anything else you want to read or download. I download the zaip regulation file and zip forms file and install them on laptop computers for the CAC. And I'm not currently a member.

In fact, most USAF publications are open access on the internet (http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/orgs.asp?type=pubs) as well.

SarDragon

FOUO has been around for a long time. I have Navy training materials with that designation dationg back to the 60s.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret