Main Menu

Capt Lauren E. Hartman

Started by JC004, March 27, 2018, 10:59:07 PM

JC004

Online Memorial: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/184962914
Photo Collection: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/184962914/lauren-elizabeth-hartman/photo

Lauren Elizabeth Hartman, R.N., 26, of Reading, Pennsylvania, passed away November 1, 2017 in the care of Hershey Medical Center, surrounded by her family.

Born September 22, 1991, Lauren attended both the Reading Hospital School of Nursing, and Drexel University, where she earned her RN and BSN respectively. She was a member of Delta Epsilon Iota Academic Honor Society at Drexel University.  Lauren worked at Reading Hospital, Haven Behavioral Health and most recently Grifols Plasma in Reading.

She was ambitious and her love of nursing was summed up well in her saying "I really care about my patients."  To Lauren, they were not just a job. She considered the patients her personal responsibility and put their welfare above all.  She was in the process of pursing her Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) degree at Drexel University and intended to continue on to become a Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP). 

Displayed at home, she kept quotes to remind herself of what was important to her.  Her favorite nursing quote was "I have no idea what's awaiting me, or what will happen when this all ends. For the moment I know this: there are sick people and they need curing." – Albert Camus

Outside her professional life, she was pursing a  Private Pilot's License (fulfilling a childhood dream) and qualifications in skydiving.  She had registered to be a Moosejaw Mountaineering Official Athlete, and was in the process of becoming a member of Mensa, the high IQ society.

Lauren possessed an unparalleled sense of adventure and a craving for new experiences. Her innate desire to care for others was apparent through both her career as a nurse, and her love of animals. Her constant companion, Bella, is a registered therapy beagle; and Lauren was a member of the Alliance of Therapy Dogs. Bella would accompany Lauren to various hospitals and nursing homes. Lauren loved surfing, hiking, biking, skiing, horseback riding, rock climbing, kayaking, camping and was an avid skydiver. Becoming a National Ski Patrol member in high school led to her decision to become a nurse. She participated in numerous running and biking events, her favorite being Bethany Beach Tri-Du-Aquabike benefiting First Responders.

She was an active member of Civil Air Patrol (the U.S. Air Force Auxiliary), serving in Reading Composite Squadron 811 since joining as a cadet at age 12.  She earned the General Ira C. Eaker award, CAP's second-highest cadet award. She was chosen for the highly-selective International Air Cadet Exchange, representing United States air cadets in New Zealand. She also received two of CAP's highest service awards, the Achievement Award and Commander's Commendation Award.

Lauren participated in Civil Air Patrol's emergency services, cadet programs and aerospace education programs, achieving the rank of 1st Lieutenant. Her favorite program was Hawk Mountain Ranger School,  at which she remained active as a senior staff member and medic, and earned the school's highest honor: the qualification of Expert Ranger, one of less than 300 members to ever receive this honor in the 60-year history of the school.  In honor of her contributions and long service to Civil Air Patrol, she was posthumously promoted to the rank of Captain on November 6, 2017.

Energetic, persistent and determined, Lauren will be remembered by her contagious laugh and unrelenting courage.

She is survived by her parents, Michael and Deborah Hartman of Sinking Spring, and her two sisters, Kelsey Hartman and Christen Haas (Hartman). She also leaves her maternal grandmother, Marian Ertel, aunts, uncles and cousins. She was preceded in death by her maternal grandfather, Thomas Ertel, and paternal grandparents, Sterling and Mary Hartman.

Her service was held at St. Ignatius of Loyola Parish, Reading, PA, on Wednesday, November 8, followed by burial in Gethsemane Cemetery on a hill overlooking the mountains of Berks County, where she developed her sense of adventure and love of the outdoors since she was a teenager.

CAPLTC

Lauren was a fantastic human being.
RIP
"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis

JC004

More than most people will ever fully understand.  She never hesitated to aid people off-duty, including stopping at vehicle accidents (for which she kept a supply bag in her car).  She declined formal credit for any of her off-duty lifesaving actions.  She often commented on my signed copy of Colin Powell's Rules on my wall, so I was getting her a personalized, autographed copy for Christmas.  Her favorite of the rules was "Don't take counsel of your fears or naysayers."  She wore her wings because they are mandatory; she wore her nurse badge because it meant the world to her.