5 Days unill my Membership expires

Started by Devil Doc, July 27, 2015, 05:05:44 PM

Devil Doc

5 days until my Membership Expires... what to do... what to do...

Sigh..
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

MSG Mac

Quote from: Devil Doc on July 27, 2015, 05:05:44 PM

Sigh..
Do you feel that you're getting something out of CAP
Do you feel that you're making a difference through your membership?
If so, Renew. If not, keep pondering as to whether it's worth the $50-60 of annual membership.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

LTC Don

I just tripped 28 years.  I go through the same process year after year........and renew.   :o  Some years are better than others. Being in an active squadron helps.  A lot.
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

Chappie

Know the struggle.  Been on that bubble a couple of times, myself.  I like the three-way test suggested by MSG Mac.   I will hit the 20 year mark in the fall of next year.  At the moment, the energizer bunny wants to keep going.

A few years ago, my dear friend and commander allowed me to vent as to why I was planning not to renew my membership.  I had several issues with CAP that I gave.  After awhile he kicked back and asked a pointed question, "Why did I join in the first place?"   I gave him my reason (s) for joining.  He then asked, "Has any of those reasons changed?"  When I answered, "No".  He then replied, "Then what's your problem...get over it."  Gotta tell you...that was the best advice I got.  Since that lunch conversation had I not renewed, I would have missed out on some great opportunities to serve and participate in some decisions that have made a difference.

Will wait now until my renewal date at the 25 year mark to squirm a bit :)
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

TheSkyHornet

With all due respect, Sir, but if you're crossed the 28-year mark and don't know if you should stay in, I'd say you already know your answer

Devil Doc

Col Beckett I know the unit you are in, It is Very Very Active. My Unit is Semi Active a lot of the SM are Vets, most of them go to Encampments, Trainings etc. Last major event I attended was MERSAR in 2014. I love my Unit I honestly do, just there is nothing for a SM to do, and our Cadet members are declining. A lot of the units around us get more action than we do and have had some members threaten to switch to them even if it is a farther drive. I have a 3 year old at home and work for the Government so getting time off is usually reserved for Family, trips or Doctors Appointments. I know once I make Captain, that any rank past that will be impossible. Decisions Decisions...
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

SarDragon

Answer these questions:

"Why did you join in the first place?"
"Has any of those reasons changed?"
"Do you feel that you're getting something out of CAP"
"Do you feel that you're making a difference through your membership?"

Carefully process the answers, and decide.

I joined in 1964 as a cadet, and remained so until I went on active duty in 1969. I turned senior, and participated as much as I could, based on my duty stations.

My membership lapsed in 1981, for financial and location reasons. In 1987, I saw an ad for CAP on the local AFRTS station, and checked it out. Here I am 28 years later.

There was a period (10 years) when I didn't participate, due to time and location constraints, but I paid my dues and got my magazine in the mail. There was always something in the back of my mind that I might get involved again, and the expense was a contribution to a worthwhile organization, even if I wasn't participating.

For me, the money was never the issue. There were other factors involved that colored my decision. I will probably continue my membership until I die, even if I'm not participating, because of my perceived value of the organization.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on July 27, 2015, 07:45:29 PM
With all due respect, Sir, but if you're crossed the 28-year mark and don't know if you should stay in, I'd say you already know your answer

There is always a trade-off between wants and needs. That was part of my struggle when my membership lapsed. This situation pops up annually, and there's a decision to be \made each time, no matter how long you've been a member.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

Sorry for the apparent dupe post, if you saw it.

Quote from: Devil Doc on July 27, 2015, 07:45:37 PM
Col Beckett I know the unit you are in, It is Very Very Active. My Unit is Semi Active a lot of the SM are Vets, most of them go to Encampments, Trainings etc. Last major event I attended was MERSAR in 2014. I love my Unit I honestly do, just there is nothing for a SM to do, and our Cadet members are declining. A lot of the units around us get more action than we do and have had some members threaten to switch to them even if it is a farther drive. I have a 3 year old at home and work for the Government so getting time off is usually reserved for Family, trips or Doctors Appointments. I know once I make Captain, that any rank past that will be impossible. Decisions Decisions...

Captain is OK. I was content to be a Captain forever, until  former CC badgered me into completing the requirements for Major. Do what you can with what you have, and things will work out.

As for actively participating in your unit, what jobs are you assigned? What would you like to be doing?

It was a little rough for me moving from a composite squadron to a senior squadron, but I adapted, and moved on. I miiss working with cadets, but I've managed without for 11 years now.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

LTC Don

It's not necessarily 'just' about being in an active squadron.  Perhaps it's time to flex your wings, grasshopper  ;D

I recently had a couple of members participate in a TLC course in Winston-Salem.  I figured, to help support them, I offered to help drive up, and since I had a bit of experience in Cadet Programs, I offered to the TLC director to teach some of the segments.  He jumped on that, and let me teach four of the topics.  I had a blast since it had been a really long time talking about my first love, CP, and I got to meet some other folks from around the wing, and got to renew some old friendships.

So, take the next year or two, and focus on your own Professional Development, even if you have exempted out of some of it due to your military experience. Branch out and attend some out of town training and meet some new folks. If you've already taken SLS, then offer now to teach in one. If that makes you a little uncomfortable, all the better.  Get out of your personal sandbox a bit. By starting to give back in some of the other activities, you may find that breath of fresh air.  CAP is a lot bigger than us mere mortals.   ;)
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Devil Doc on July 27, 2015, 05:05:44 PM

Sigh..

FWIW: This year I renewed despite having been laid off last year and only recently required full-time employment.  My squadron had 'allowed' a hiatus and encouraged me to stay on the roster.  That 'allowed' doesn't read as nicely as it was actually done, BTW.

I applied the much-discussed test, and sent the check.

Last night, nearly quit on the spot after a cadet officer irritated me to the point where I considered, for a long minute, resigning.

The moment passed, and I spent the rest of the evening doing a leadership class with the younger cadets, which reminded me why I joined in the very first place.

It wasn't the rank, the uniform or anything like that, it was for the moments of joy I get working with the youngsters when you realize that they have moved forward in their lives, and understood a life skill.  Something like that.

So, my point is this: apply The Test but dwell most on the key question: are you making a difference?

Our squadron chaplain recently retired with just under 35 years of service because his health meant he could no longer honestly answer that question positively.  You don't have to make a big difference every day, just a little will do, regularly!

Good luck, and I hope you stay!

Paul_AK

I ended up lapsing during my time overseas. I was on a Navy base in Europe and as such no CAP presence. So when I came back I re-upped but have since had such a busy schedule I'm lucky to make one meeting a month. So, I understand the battle with deciding whether to continue or not. With the disparity in levels of professionalism (among the senior membership) and commitment to the CAP versus only one aspect things can get quite tiring. As a caveat, I'm not referring to my current unit, mind you, or making a blanket statement towards everyone I've met. Every organization has it's issues, especially volunteer organizations, it seems.
Paul M. McBride
TSgt, 176 SFS, AKANG
1st Lt, AK CAP

Earhart #13376

sarmed1

So is it that you dont like where your unit is/is going or arent happy with CAP in general terms (hint:  based on your second post it sounds like your unit is not where you feel like you want to be in CAP)

I am usually one for reccomending renewing and then consider a hiatus.  If your unit allows you to take a step back and n ot participate for a while (call it 6 months) and re-eval your options or renew in a patron status and then decide where you want to be down the road.  The advantage I have seen is that if you just drop and decide down the road you want to get back into things, its a harder jump from a no body than it is from patron status.

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

SarDragon

+1000 on that. That's why I went "pay, no play" when I couldn't participate when I left Japan.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

THRAWN

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on July 27, 2015, 07:45:29 PM

Reserve that comment for when you've been a member for more than 6 months, held a command, dealt with some CAParents, and spent more than one date night looking for a lost hiker.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

THRAWN

I know your pain, Doc.

Why would any rank past captain be impossible?

Captain opens some doors that you might not be aware of. There is some good solid free education that you can take advantage of, and it's not limited to ECI or AFIADL or what ever it calls itself this week. Besides, captain, major, general, in CAP the pay is the same....I'll echo what's already been said. Annually, I did the dance. It always came down to "Am I still enjoying myself?" If you're not, renew, and take some time off. Nothing says that you have to be at every weekend activity, or every meeting. You have a young family, and that is your priority.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: THRAWN on July 30, 2015, 12:39:19 PM

You have a young family, and that is your priority.
:clap: :clap:

Hear, hear and well said.  Something that is often forgotten, and not just in CAP.

Devil Doc

Just so you guys know.... I renewed my Membership... Going to give it another year... I actually Enjoy being in CAP.... just wish I could do more things....  I talked to my FiancĂ© about it.. she said it was ok... but Im sure once my son gets older he will want me home more.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

ironputts

Ah, the choices of life. So many times I thought of leaving CAP these past 25 years. I stayed for the cadets. I stayed as I wanted to participate in the CAP mission of cadet programs. Hope in a year you will decide to stay for the long haul especially for your son. He could become a cadet and then you have another reason to stay. I hope this organization realizes that is a very important mission component - our cadets.
Greg Putnam, Lt. Col., CAP

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: ironputts on August 05, 2015, 12:19:09 PM
<<Clipped>>I hope this organization realizes that is a very important mission component - our cadets.

Once again...Hear, Hear!   :clap: :clap:
That's not something that is said often enough.

Devil Doc: One thing to remember is that every member who does what they can with time and resources they have available, makes a valuable contribution. 

Every CAP member, irrespective of why they joined, has 3 budgets available in varying quantity: time, cash and family / spousal support.  Spend wisely and remain in the black on all 3!

Glad you renewed your membership; enjoy the year!