Main Menu

My first encampment

Started by briannal1999, July 25, 2015, 11:42:10 PM

briannal1999

Hey everyone I just got back from my first encampment. I do wish it was more than 1 week. We did so many fun activities I wouldn't have done if I never attended. My flight (Charlie flight) and our sister flight, Delta flight, went on a C-17 while everyone else went on a C-130, I had my first O-Flight, we built and launched model rockets, and so much more. There was also some funny moments we had that make great stories. My flight commander accidently hit my shoulder with a toy glider, and one night at dinner a cadet behind me almost stabbed me with a butter knife, he just scraped my back. Lucky it wasn't a steak knife or anything haha. But I just wanted to make this post to let everyone know how my 1st encampment was, and to hear stories from others about their 1st encampment. Have a good day :D

TheSkyHornet

Sounds like you had a pretty fun time.

Glad you enjoyed it!  8)

Гугл переводчик

On the second to last night of my basic encampment, everyone in my set of barracks thought the place was haunted. When I was on fire-watch, pillows from the top bunks of all bunks fell to the floor (they were not occupied.) Then the next day, we had a bunch of cadets report "ghosts" to the Flight Commander and TACO. That night, a bunch of storm clouds rolled in, and they were all sorts of colors. At this point we all figured the world was about to end, but it just came and went. Still never figured out what was going on with the ghosts and pillows though...  :o
Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

Spam

On my first encampment (SCWG, 1992, Robins AFB GA), full of ideas like, "lead from the front" and "never ask someone to do something you won't do yourself", I led my people through an obstacle course including a series of low trenches topped with barbed wire. Unfortunately, we were the first unit to go through it that summer, and I crawled directly into a nest of Georgia Hummingbirds (aka yellow jacket hornets). Could not go forward. Could not go up (the Liason NCO was vainly trying to cut the wires). Had to get the 20 or so cadets behind me to crawl backwards while I did so as well, getting stung.

30 or so stings later, I sat dizzy on a log pulling stingers out, while my troops finished without me.  Lesson: route recon/facility check before any event!

V/R,
Spam

TeamBronx

Glad you enjoyed the NY Wing Encampment.  The senior and cadet staffs did a top-notch job.