PA Wing Commander Terminated

Started by sparks, March 28, 2009, 11:11:06 PM

sparks

I've heard that the PAWG commander has been terminated by his region commander as requested by NHQ. Anyone hear about this or have any idea what he did to get bounced?

Big_Ed

I heard about this last night.  No, no reason given at all.  Also nothing formal has been presented yet.
Edgar R. Flick, Lt. Colonel, CAP
Emergency Services Training Officer,
Pennsylvania Wing/NERPA001
Member since 1977

CAPTShaw

I have heard a couple of variations on this rumor, nothing for sure, some thing with group 2 and also something with NER, but they are only rumors.

So I would suggest that we wait and see before we fuel the rumor mill.
Capt David Shaw, CAP SQ 606
Founder
Greene County Composite Squadron 606 (12JAN17)

JC004

eServices says Lt Col and doesn't list Wing CC as duty position...

RiverAux

Was this the same guy that thought the answer to any paperwork problem was to threaten to disband the squadron or was that another Wing CC? 

JC004

Quote from: RiverAux on March 29, 2009, 03:02:34 AM
Was this the same guy that thought the answer to any paperwork problem was to threaten to disband the squadron or was that another Wing CC? 

There was a lot to that.  PAWG is complicated anyways...  :-\

JC004

Col David Mull, NER CV is CC of PAWG apparently. 

CAPTShaw

Quote from: JC004 on March 29, 2009, 03:10:18 AM

Please explain how it is complicated?
Founder

JC004

Quote from: IGMR on March 29, 2009, 03:44:27 AM
Quote from: JC004 on March 29, 2009, 03:10:18 AM

Please explain how it is complicated?

Well it's kinda...complicated how it's complicated.  The thing that annoys me the most is the aversion to change.  For almost 10 years of attending group and wing staff meetings, I've constantly heard "make sure the wing mail gets to the members" and similar things, but they don't find a solution, they just keep repeating themselves and expecting a different result.  There is much more to PAWG, but I don't care to post most of it on CAPTalk.  Among other reasons, I think it would be unfair to the people in question if I am wrong on something.

Also, contact me about IT stuff?

Big_Ed

"complicated"  :)      I like that one.      "Aversion to change" is good too.   It's a very large wing and some of the wing staff members have been at their posts since before I showed up.  I agree with Colgan, I've heard the same thing about the wing mail.  When I was the Cadet Leadership School commander, I had to resort to calling unit commanders directly to advertise the school in the early 90's.

Paradigm is another word I'd toss into the salad.

I'm still waiting on something from the leadership to the membership about this..

The 25 April Commander's Call ought to be interesting.
Member since 1977

dwb

It's not unusual for long-time Wing staff members to be resistant to change.  They know the way they did it in the 1970s, they want to keep doing it that way.  A lot of times, it's because they just don't know any other way, and they're too proud to admit it.

That's not a critique of PAWG, just a general observation that can apply to a lot of Wings.

Ultimately, you need an enlightened Wing CC and an ambitious Chief of Staff to put some of these folks out to pasture; the CC to understand it's needed, and the CS to go out and pilfer new talent from the squadrons/groups.

In the Old Days in NY, because the Wing HQ was on Long Island, you could pretty much forget about the Wing knowing you existed if you were out in Buffalo.  Technology and new leadership has helped to mend that rift, and these days we have Wing staff from all over the state.  But it came at the expense of a lot of Old Boys on the Island that were used to having things their way.

CAP ain't Burger King; you remain adaptable, or you become obsolete.

JC004

Quote from: Big_Ed on March 29, 2009, 12:28:26 PM
"complicated"  :)      I like that one.      "Aversion to change" is good too.   It's a very large wing and some of the wing staff members have been at their posts since before I showed up.  I agree with Colgan, I've heard the same thing about the wing mail.  When I was the Cadet Leadership School commander, I had to resort to calling unit commanders directly to advertise the school in the early 90's.

Paradigm is another word I'd toss into the salad.

I'm still waiting on something from the leadership to the membership about this..

The 25 April Commander's Call ought to be interesting.

Our fundamental problem is a failure to communicate and adapt.  It may be complicated, but it really boils down to that.  Since June of 2006, I have pushed the importance of our web site with the wing commanders and wing staff.  Most don't care.  The commanders didn't listen and seize the opportunity.  I did several reports of my ideas, why they mattered, and what we could do to make them happen, but they fell on deaf ears.

You have heard the wing mail thing.  I'm sure you have heard them talk about recruiting and retention as if simply mentioning it will make it happen.  Constantly they do the same thing over and over, expecting something to change.  My position is that if you hound the wing mail, recruiting/retention, vehicle reporting, etc., for YEARS and don't see a change, I'm pretty sure you need to adapt your strategy.

Communication and adaptation - case in point: I've hounded this before and I'll do it again.  Since obviously saying "get the wing mail to the members" isn't working, maybe we should do something different?  I proposed, on numerous occasions since 2006, an e-mail newsletter that goes monthly to all members of PAWG who have e-mail.  Not everyone has it, but it would be enough to get the information flowing.  The Commonwealth is 46,055 square miles.  We have 2,319 members as of today.  There are 6 (well, eight) groups.  There are something like 70 chartered units (not sure of the number).  HOW exactly is sending out wing mail once per month to each unit a more effective way of communicating than using DIRECT communication on the web?  I'd love to just start this newsletter myself, but I don't have the resources.  They don't even give me the current publications for the wing web site.  I've asked for a complete set of publications since 2006 and STILL have not received them.

There are many solutions.  We have the manpower.  We have the talent.  We just have to put it to work for PAWG.  We have a ton of sysadmins in PAWG.  Why can't I print a simple PDF correctly in our EOC?  Put a half dozen of them to work modernizing and maintaining the EOC.  Spend two weekends doing it and it'll be mostly done.

Our resources are incredible in PAWG, but the new commander will need to capitalize on them, communicate to the membership, adapt to change, and LISTEN to the members.  I hear ideas everywhere I go in PAWG.  Great ideas.  Then I hear them die.  It's very sad.

They complain about recruiting and retention constantly.  My contention is that if they change the attitude, they will get their recruiting and retention.

A couple of years ago, I had a Lt Col tell me that his 30(?) years of experience meant he knew better.  I only had about 8 at the time, and was a lowly junior officer, so what do I know?  Strange, but I could probably give you a dozen (or more) examples of why he was wrong.  Doing something for 30 years doesn't mean you've learned much (or even anything).  Besides, getting ideas from those with a fresh perspective is incredibly valuable.  At work, I have a set program of soliciting the ideas of new people when they come in and after they have been with us for a little while.  It is amazingly useful. 

I can give you a laundry list of ideas that were killed by PAWG HQ. Most of them had great potential.

PAWG needs to capitalize on its potential and unleash a storm of new ideas, programs, and initiatives.  It CAN be done regardless of the politics, to SPITE CAP nationally being far behind other organizations of its size in things like marketing and IT.  I've seen the potential on the ground and it kills me to see it squashed.  If the new Wing CC is willing, I will do everything I can to set that fire and make PAWG all that it can be.

CAPTShaw

James,

So are you confirming that the PA Wing Commander has been removed from his Position?
Founder

JC004

Quote from: IGMR on March 29, 2009, 09:20:09 PM
James,

So are you confirming that the PA Wing Commander has been removed from his Position?

That is correct.

I am awaiting whatever memo to post on the web site.  In the meantime, I will just assume command of the wing.  At least for Wednesday.  I did last year.

Big_Ed

I really thought some kind of statement would have been made by now.
Member since 1977

JC004

Quote from: Big_Ed on March 29, 2009, 10:57:06 PM
I really thought some kind of statement would have been made by now.

I am kind of used to them not saying anything.   :-\

CAPTShaw

If it happened on Friday or over the weekend, nothing should be expected until Monday.
Founder

CAPTShaw

Quote from: JC004 on March 29, 2009, 09:38:58 PM
James,

That is correct.

I am awaiting whatever memo to post on the web site.  In the meantime, I will just assume command of the wing.  At least for Wednesday.  I did last year.

So on Wednesday when your in Command, you will be able to solve all the problems (jk)
Founder

JC004

Quote from: IGMR on March 30, 2009, 12:12:43 AM
Quote from: JC004 on March 29, 2009, 09:38:58 PM
James,

That is correct.

So on Wednesday when your in Command, you will be able to solve all the problems (jk)

Correct.  In 24 hours I will fix the whole thing and everyone will have a shiny new van.  On Thursday, I move onto Region.  Friday I have to take off to work on a new business venture, but on Monday I will take NHQ and Pylon will fix our marketing and branding.

Big_Ed

well, at least it's a plan. lol   ;D
Member since 1977