2010 Winter National Board

Started by Spike, February 26, 2010, 05:52:41 PM

RiverAux

What the heck are they talking about?  Where is this stuff on the agenda?

RiverAux

There will be an official uniform committee set up.

2 year moratorium on major uniform changes PASSED!

Major Carrales

Quote from: RiverAux on February 27, 2010, 06:59:35 PM
There will be an official uniform committee set up.

2 year moratorium on major uniform changes PASSED!

I would have like 5 years...but I will accept this as a start.  Female member added to the uniform committee.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

Apparently National Commander now has total say over uniform approvals....

Major Carrales

A motion to consolidate CAP service Dress Unifrom is being discussed.  I will take this one and post its chatter here.  A consolidated professional uniform is needed (as opposed to suit to avoid "MALL SECURITY" effect.)   An incident was discussed during the 1993 Missouri Floods that showed that a uniformed CAP presence was effective. 

Postponement of the phase out date, with a motion to reffer to the committee.  This was referred to the Committee on Uniforms set up bay a previous motion.  Also agenda items one uniforms are referred to the created committee.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

3B - item deleted.
3C -- making 1 single service dress uniform for all CAP members.
Referred to the new uniform committee along with the other uniform items (3d,e,f,g)

Major Carrales

Announced: CAP Hawaii Wing Activated to warn of Tsunami as a result fo the Chile Earthquake.  Then lost the feed...

Commander
SWR-TX-454

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Major Carrales on February 27, 2010, 07:15:47 PM
Announced: CAP Hawaii Wing Activated to warn of Tsunami as a result fo the Chile Earthquake.

WTG HIWG!   :clap: :clap: :clap:  They have speakers on the aircraft and are flying the coastline warning the public since there are no fixed PA systems on much of the coastline.  I've never heard of our aircraft being used in such a way before. 

Major Carrales

Quote from: JoeTomasone on February 27, 2010, 07:18:53 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on February 27, 2010, 07:15:47 PM
Announced: CAP Hawaii Wing Activated to warn of Tsunami as a result fo the Chile Earthquake.

WTG HIWG!   :clap: :clap: :clap:  They have speakers on the aircraft and are flying the coastline warning the public since there are no fixed PA systems on much of the coastline.  I've never heard of our aircraft being used in such a way before.
I first learned of that watching a documentary on the History Channel some years back.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

flyguy06

Quote from: Ned on February 27, 2010, 06:26:59 PM
Quote from: flyguy06 on February 27, 2010, 05:08:51 PMIts also the whole thing about getting a vote to pass then a second, then all in favor of. amendmants. I guess I am used to command desicions. But I have never seen thislevel of CAP before so its new to me. I thought we had commanders that just made command desicions. Didnt realize yyou had call for a vote, get a second then vote. Very interesting.

Interesting factoid: the only place we teach this kind of leadership in CAP is in the cadet program, specifically the Cadet Advisory Council.

Again. I am new to stepping outside of the cadet program, so please bare with me. But at my squadron, we run it in a  military style at the senior member level as well. But then again, 90% of our sm's are prior service.

Major Carrales

Quote from: flyguy06 on February 27, 2010, 07:22:14 PM

Again. I am new to stepping outside of the cadet program, so please bare with me. But at my squadron, we run it in a  military style at the senior member level as well. But then again, 90% of our sm's are prior service.

CAP is, it would seem, not run in an uniform homogenous manner across the nation and even from squadron to squadron.  It has its draw backs...differing focus points, differing staffing needs...and its benefits...as in a unit had to adapt to "the cards it is dealt" and the "community it serves."

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Major Carrales

E-mail notifications on one line safety forms (78 and 79s) is not reaching out to all commands.  They recommend a culture of passing information be created in the various Wings to insure that these matters are properly communicated despite the procedures not being present in the regulations.

In form the NOC of major mishap accidents to insure that they have the information for Public Affairs and Letigation issues.   

A discussion of "an old candy commercial" was used to describe how the FORM 78 and 79 forms should be used together.  More people should be familiar with the process.

Vehicle inspections area have been noticed.  Tires are failing due to "dry rot."  Old tires on shelves cause these mishaps causing the usual life of the time to be different from that  Tire inspections are to be added to the focus.

15 Passenger vans are not to be over loaded or inproperly loaded.  The last row of seats are to be removed and and nothing is to be in its space.

CAP Safety culture is reactive, despite all attempts to the contrary.  Constant safety concentrations may cause some "tone deafness" to the constant call for safety (like a lifeguard's wistle being ignored for its constant blair)

Can safety be stressed without saying the word safety?  A culture of safety is more important a thing to develop.  Safety is improved with aholistic view point.  A safety management system (SMS) is to be deployed
An SMS for CAP is not mandatory, but makes sense.

CAP operates comprarable numbers of aircraft to major air carrier fleets.  SMS will allow senior leadership actionable data.  (heh...heee...he said "CAP-YOU-SAFF")

Safety programs have to advance in a two pronged effort 1) analysis of past mishaps, and 2) mitigation of possible mishaps.    Safety is not about safety, but about good training and a culture of safe practices.

Safety Briefing concludes to applause... Maj Gen Courter thanks the safety team (heh...heee...she said "CAP-YOU-SAFF")

Commander
SWR-TX-454

JoeTomasone

Invoking the Brady Bunch....  Interesting.  :)

cap235629

Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

JoeTomasone

Quote from: cap235629 on February 27, 2010, 07:33:27 PM
so where does the gear go?

I was thinking the same thing.   In the seating area would seem to be a safety issue as well. 

Major Carrales

Quote from: JoeTomasone on February 27, 2010, 07:35:58 PM
Quote from: cap235629 on February 27, 2010, 07:33:27 PM
so where does the gear go?

I was thinking the same thing.   In the seating area would seem to be a safety issue as well.

Good, you can use the gear when the van flips over.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Major Carrales

COl Glenn Atwell, is a life member and is recognized (he's sitting next to Genenal Anderson.)

Item 6 alpha, AE mission awards process...A discrepency exists in the process.  Effective immediately that the top Wing in each regions and highest scoring wings be recognized based on the reports.  This will help to honor the highest scores.

How many awards will be given.  Currently one Wing will score the highest, the top three highest Wings got the second plaque.    The New Process recognizes the "numerically" higher score.  There could be 11 awards to 52 Wings.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

cap235629

so if we watched this can we count it as a quarterly safety briefing?
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Major Carrales

Cadet Unit Award.  The Squadron of Merit and Squadron of Distintion awards leaves many squadrons in the shadowed by those that always seem to win.  The process currently is rather subjective. 

Quality Cadet Unit Award...these are objective criteria.  It is an incentive to work toward based on making certain criteria.  A long list of the criteria was made based on some already existing items.

This was to  replace Squadron of Merit and Squadron of Distintion, but this was withdrawn.  It will come with a banner/streamer.

Some discussion of it as a supplemental award...more discussion on the matter and paramenters, perhaps in committee.  The banner/streamer, may cause an expense.  That too needs to be addressed. 

An amendment is been proposed to see if a unifom items could be developed for wear on a uniform.  This is going to the committeee for a possible ribbon.  This is a change that the higher awards (Squadron of Merit and Squadron of Distintion) does not get a ribbon.  It could be a meaningless ribbon.

A motion (on amendment) to send to committee for new ribbon...(waiting)...FAILED

The idea is sound, however, more study is needed...an amendment is made to strike the criteria and approve the concept for this award.  Then sent to committee for the next body to vote on the criteria.  The motion was seconded to approve the idea with the criteria to be voted on next meeting.

An issue was brought up about 25 cadets per unit...this will go to committee.  The Cadet advisor was consulted...agrees there needs to be more study.  Thsi si not to undermind achievements. ("You two speak with one voice", said Major General Couter)

Mission Carries.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Major Carrales on February 27, 2010, 07:38:21 PM
Good, you can use the gear when the van flips over.

The question was, in effect, "How should gear be properly transported?".   Not, "Should we disregard the policy?".