How to email or mail a note to the National Commander?

Started by Herman_Snerd, November 04, 2018, 12:27:58 PM

Herman_Snerd

Good Morning,

I am interested in mailing or emailing a note to the National Commander of Civil Air Patrol, Major General Mark E. Smith.  Does anyone know his email or office mailing address, please?

Very Respectfully,
Hermie

CAPLTC

Maybe post a draft of your memo here so the always gracious and never-sarcastic folks here can help you perfect it...?
"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis

hfriday

I would urge EXTREME caution in completely blowing up the chain of command like you propose to do. Make very, very certain it's a message you feel really good about if you intend to jump over your unit, wing, and region commanders. That's a lot of people with a lot of rank on their collars that you are - whether you intend to or not - criticizing.

dwb

I just read through your (brief) post history. May I suggest that your squadron commander is probably a better place to start with a grievance? If the commander is the problem, there is a chain of command above him/her that would be more appropriate than Maj Gen Smith, who isn't really in a position to meddle in squadron affairs anyway.

etodd

It tickles me that everyone so far has assumed that its a critical note he wants to send. Might be Holiday Greetings. ;)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Herman_Snerd

Quote from: dwb on November 04, 2018, 02:27:19 PM
I just read through your (brief) post history. May I suggest that your squadron commander is probably a better place to start with a grievance? If the commander is the problem, there is a chain of command above him/her that would be more appropriate than Maj Gen Smith, who isn't really in a position to meddle in squadron affairs anyway.

This guidance a bit assumptive and judgmental.   This request to contact the Commander is not a grievance.  It's a positive direct note about progress and evolution occurring in our wing that  I think he'll be very proud to receive. I hope it leads to recognition from him to those being the leaders we had hoped for during dark times.   It will contain compliments of those in the chain of command.  It is appropriate.    Please don't assume anything but positive intent of posters.

By the way, my prior posts describe situations that were out-of-bounds outrageous and completely not acceptable to the Civil Air Patrol -- but were happening. Those situations were addressed - changes were made. It's history.  That's the benefit of addressing difficult situations.  The downside was that when I posted prior concerns there was a bit of swift doubt/ shade thrown too assuming perhaps my child was the genesis or source of a problem.  No, simply not the case and the wing and group commander were appalled/ apologized and took very swift action.  In fact, the leaders I was speaking of are now summarily thrown out of CAP, no joke literally banned for life from even setting one foot in our squadron meetings or the police will be called.  A few of the youth who were bullying are no longer members. Except two, who matured and took ownership,and are leading by example of how to be a great young adults.  So sometimes discussing difficult concerns leads to positive change, as it did there. It's a shame defensive walls are up and ad hominem attacks are seen for those raising the issues.  Cap is not perfect, but CAP is now a better, safer place from the changes made.   Well, for everyone involved who was on the up and up, at least.

Anyway, if you can assist with sharing the contact, great.  If you want to assume negativity when it's not present, then please just leave this alone.  You're way off base with concerns about grievances here.

Herman_Snerd

Quote from: etodd on November 04, 2018, 03:15:56 PM
It tickles me that everyone so far has assumed that its a critical note he wants to send. Might be Holiday Greetings. ;)

THANK YOU!  It is positive.

hfriday

Whether negative or positive, I stand behind my initial point: tread lightly. Good and bad things both should be sent through appropriate channels.

Just my two cents.

HF

PHall

You still don't do it.

PHall

Quote from: Herman_Snerd on November 04, 2018, 04:32:50 PM

THANK YOU!  It is positive.

Good, send it up through your Chain of Command like you're supposed to do then.

lordmonar

In E-Services, on the bottom right are links to how to contact NHQ personnel.

The Commander's E-mail is not listed in the CAP-USAF directory but his mailing address is and there is a general "contact us" link that would get you in the right direction.

good luck.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

CAPLTC

You may consider going over the CAP NHQ CO and going direct to SecDef Mattis.
"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis

Luis R. Ramos

That last post was not funny, and the sarcasm attempt was not successful. Why would he bypass CAP CC if it was about him?

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

PHall

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on November 06, 2018, 04:53:33 PM
That last post was not funny, and the sarcasm attempt was not successful. Why would he bypass CAP CC if it was about him?

Because he's bypassed everyone else in the Chain of Command, why not him?

THRAWN

Is the OP even a member? Looking over past posts, I get a "concerned parent" vibe. My spidey sense might be wrong, but if he isn't a member, it would seem that all of this COC discussion is rather academic.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: THRAWN on November 06, 2018, 06:53:04 PM
Is the OP even a member? Looking over past posts, I get a "concerned parent" vibe. My spidey sense might be wrong, but if he isn't a member, it would seem that all of this COC discussion is rather academic.

Research indicates the OP is not a CAP member.

Blanding

Quote from: CAPLTC on November 06, 2018, 02:58:17 AM
You may consider going over the CAP NHQ CO and going direct to SecDef Mattis.

Is he in the chain of command now?

CAPLTC

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on November 06, 2018, 04:53:33 PM

I'd def send a CC of my letter of concern to the following for maximum effect:
Secretary of the Air Force;
Secretary of Defense;
POTUS;
Chairman of the House and Senate Armed Service Committee.

Luis R. Ramos

That is overkill with sarcasm to the nth degree. It is not funny, it is more silly.

Squadron Safety Officer

Luis R. Ramos

The OP may bypass every one except the person is that concerned.

Him or herself.

And the Nat CC.

Squadron Safety Officer