Started by etodd, February 15, 2019, 01:16:09 AM

Who Currently Flies a DJI sUAS?

Phantom 2
Phantom 3
Phantom 4 or Plus or Pro, etc.
Mavic
Mavic 2

etodd

Part of the key here is whether you also use DJI Go4 as flying software.  If you have experience with that software, you'll be ahead of the game when time comes. The software on the tablet will look very similar.

In the interim, practice flying ATTI mode. get comfortable with it. The Air Force wants to make sure if you are in a the middle of a mission, and you were to lose GPS signal, that you could safely fly and land the drone without damage to people or property. All normal missions would be flown in GPS mode of course. It's a demonstration of skill level, in order to be a sUAS mission pilot.

You could also start looking at this software:

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=23917.0
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Gunsotsu

etodd

Quote from: Gunsotsu on February 18, 2019, 03:42:05 AM
You forgot Mavic 2.

Added. But really I could have put them all together and just said "DJI Drone". The key is more the software. If you are familiar with with DJI Go4, you'll be ahead of the game. :)

Gunsotsu

Better question would be, are you familiar with Litchi?

Spam

Hold up. Please do not start citing the Air Force and urging people to spend time and money on equipment or training when we do not have a signed requirements trail yet. Don't do our volunteers a disservice by whipping people up and pushing them to buy things and train before it's official.

ETodd, you know I support this but you need to be citing approved regulations and publicly available approved sources.

Vr
Spam

SarDragon

I'm going to let this one continue, since there is information, if not policy, on the street concerning some of the equipment specs. This was mentioned at my squadron meeting last week, by folks who are not on here.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spam

Sure... Fair call.

I want to stress that I'm behind the thrust of the varied sUAS programs (plural). Its just that I feel that we need to finish T&E before spending time and cash.

I am loathe to hype a system before its proven and I really hate rework... Probably two tours on JSF did this to me  ::)

No offense intended, etodd. I respect what you are after. I think these elements are the possible salvation of our dying ground team sub mission set.

Vr
Spam

etodd

Quote from: Spam on February 18, 2019, 03:40:48 PM

No offense intended, etodd. I respect what you are after. I think these elements are the possible salvation of our dying ground team sub mission set.

Yes. I get it. And the comments on the Cadet thread as well.  My enthusiasm has me jumping the gun. Never hesitate to slap me down. :)

While I do know the plan is there, its best for sure, to wait until Hdqs acks it, and not to take the word of some "CAPTalk poster" for all this. It could all change tomorrow.

As soon as I get the ok to share documentation, I'll let the documents speak for themselves.

Spam

... Respect!
(Double thumps chest)

Vr
Spam

NovemberWhiskey

Quote from: etodd on February 15, 2019, 01:16:09 AMIn the interim, practice flying ATTI mode. get comfortable with it. The Air Force wants to make sure if you are in a the middle of a mission, and you were to lose GPS signal, that you could safely fly and land the drone without damage to people or property. All normal missions would be flown in GPS mode of course. It's a demonstration of skill level, in order to be a sUAS mission pilot.

I don't even think the Mavic 2 even has an option to switch into ATTI mode; I believe this only happens when GPS signal is lost.

Gunsotsu

Sport mode turns off all the sensors and lets you fly like an idiot. It's the closest.

etodd

Quote from: NovemberWhiskey on February 21, 2019, 03:39:23 AM
Quote from: etodd on February 15, 2019, 01:16:09 AMIn the interim, practice flying ATTI mode. get comfortable with it. The Air Force wants to make sure if you are in a the middle of a mission, and you were to lose GPS signal, that you could safely fly and land the drone without damage to people or property. All normal missions would be flown in GPS mode of course. It's a demonstration of skill level, in order to be a sUAS mission pilot.

I don't even think the Mavic 2 even has an option to switch into ATTI mode; I believe this only happens when GPS signal is lost.

Maybe this will help:

https://mavicpilots.com/threads/mavic-2-atti-mode.46782/