Aircrew "bag": what should I have in one?

Started by Hawk200, July 21, 2009, 03:54:00 PM

Hawk200

Quote from: coolkites on August 27, 2009, 06:19:39 AM
Quote from: Hawk200 on July 27, 2009, 04:16:57 PM
Quote from: airdale on July 27, 2009, 01:14:56 PMIf he decides to carry an anvil "just in case" he needs to make shoes for wild horses so he can ride out of the wilderness?  --- we'll have to talk. :-)

I guess that's out then. It was only a mini anvil though.

;D

WHAT you mean I didn't have to carry the anvil between my legs for the 6 1/2 hour flight! me and my supply man are going to have a talk.

You dragged up a thread with the last response from 30 days ago to say that?

Airrace

Quote from: PHall on July 27, 2009, 05:25:25 AM
You know, if you guys are going to carry all of that survival type gear, why not just break down and get a vest?
Empty SRU-21 vests aren't that expensive and makes getting to your stuff a lot easier.

Wearing a flight suit that has the pockets stuffed full of stuff gets uncomfortable after a couple of hours.

And you're pretty much guaranteed to not leave it in the plane if you're wearing it!

I have the vest and carry a signal mirror, handheld VHF radio & compass besides the allready mentioned items and it works very well. The best part is everything stays in the vest and I know it's always there.

Strick

I carry a Bug out bag with my flight helemt bag in it.  When I am in the AC I use my flight bag that contains ,knee board, form, clip board, flashlight, photo equipment ectc.   My bug out bag has the basic survival stuff with some food and change of clothes in caes we get dleayed or stuck at a mission base or have to stay grounded. 
[darn]atio memoriae

Hawk200

Quote from: Strick on August 28, 2009, 01:44:51 PM
I carry a Bug out bag with my flight helemt bag in it.  When I am in the AC I use my flight bag that contains ,knee board, form, clip board, flashlight, photo equipment ectc.   My bug out bag has the basic survival stuff with some food and change of clothes in caes we get dleayed or stuck at a mission base or have to stay grounded.

That was my basic plan on putting it together. On the Army aircrew side, my kit bag has all my flight gear including RON essentials. I was going to put together a similar arrangement.

For CAP, I don't see the point of a full size kit bag, so I've  been looking at the "mini" kit bags. They appear to be the same length and width, but half the height. I could carry a short bag like that along with a ground team pack in the trunk of my car at all times and have everything ready.