SAR is Hard to Give Up!

Started by Brit_in_CAP, August 07, 2014, 02:07:29 PM

ZigZag911

Quote from: Flying Pig on August 08, 2014, 12:29:22 AM
As an American I'll never understand the idea of a royal family.

Really? How about our national political "dynasties"?

ZigZag911

And speaking of the offspring of those same political dynasties, when was the last time one of them -- or the kids of the "one per cent", since you also dragged the issue of money into the conversation, Flying Pig -- volunteered for military service, let alone hazardous duty?

Yeah, the British royals are wealthy and privileged...but they are not shirkers.

Luis R. Ramos

What does our national political "dynasties" have to do with a Royal family?

The idea of the Kennedys is just media hoopla. The Kennedys and others have never done what the Royal family in Great Britain does except play to the media.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Luis R. Ramos

So are you saying that because all those people rode in the public sympathy generated by the media, they are royalty now?

Where is the connection...?
Squadron Safety Officer

Flying Pig

Quote from: ZigZag911 on August 08, 2014, 09:23:24 PM
And speaking of the offspring of those same political dynasties, when was the last time one of them -- or the kids of the "one per cent", since you also dragged the issue of money into the conversation, Flying Pig -- volunteered for military service, let alone hazardous duty?

Yeah, the British royals are wealthy and privileged...but they are not shirkers.

Im not the one who brought up political families in the US, you did.... so who knows.

ZigZag911

VP Biden's son deployed to the Middle East a couple of years ago...I think he's a Marine reservist.

I can't think of another example.

Eclipse

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on August 08, 2014, 09:23:52 PM
The idea of the Kennedys is just media hoopla. The Kennedys and others have never done what the Royal family in Great Britain does except play to the media.

Joseph was a political mover and shaker in the best tradition of "royalty" for the majority of the first half of the 20th century,

John was elected President and assassinated while in office.

Robert was Attorney General, a US Senator, and assassinated while in office.

Ted was US Senator for 47 years and died in office.

The wives and daughters have always been politically and charitably active and visible for far more then just being
"Kennedys".  What more do you want?

The Bushes and Clintons have been essentially running this country since the mid-60's, at least.

Considering how young the USA actually >is< those are dynasties, even more so if you consider
royalty as "landed" families who rise to political power, which is exactly what they all are, which the exception of Bill Clinton,
the Bushes and Kennedys certainly fall into that category.

"That Others May Zoom"

SARDOC

Quote from: ZigZag911 on August 11, 2014, 02:35:04 AM
VP Biden's son deployed to the Middle East a couple of years ago...I think he's a Marine reservist.

I can't think of another example.

He's a Major in the Delaware Army National Guard.

Luis R. Ramos

Delaware Army National Guard? D.A.N.G.!
Squadron Safety Officer

Flying Pig

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: JeffDG on August 08, 2014, 06:44:26 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on August 08, 2014, 06:28:37 PM
I would think she is probably influential in certain areas.  But she seems to be more of the face of England vs having any real "power" I guess.  It would be neat to be able to trace your family back that accurately, that far.

In reality, the separation of the role of Head of State from the role of Head of Government has tremendous advantages.

Her Majesty, the Queen, does not involve herself in political issues, ever.  As such, she can represent the nation and all of the people of her realms (remembering that while she is best known as the "Queen of England", she's also the "Queen of Canada", Australia, NZ, etc., and really, England is a bad exemplar too...as her proper title is "Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland", of which "England" is one of four constituent nations) free from the rough and tumble of politics.  The Prime Minister gets down in the trenches and deals with the day-to-day politics.

In the US, the roles are combined in the Presidency, and as a result, one person serves as the "living symbol of the nation", and also gets into the mud-pit that is day-to-day politics.  Sometimes reducing their effectiveness at politics (can't do things that are "unpresidential"), and sometimes the opposite occurs (many give great deference to the office).

Now, from a legal perspective, the Queen has tremendous power.  She is the only one who can summon Parliament to meet.  Only she can end a Parliamentary session (prorogue) or dismiss the entire Parliament and call new elections (dissolution).  She, legally, appoints the Prime Minister, and the entirety of the executive serve at Her pleasure.  Laws are enacted by the Sovereign on the advice of Parliament, but the Queen is the one who actually makes something into a law.  An entire branch of the UK Parliament (the Lords) are appointed by the Queen, not elected by the people (a power she also holds over the Senate of Canada).  Not to mention that she holds these powers not just in the UK, but in all of the Commonwealth realms.

Nice summary!  The Lords, as it happens, are headed towards being principally an elected chamber (80%).

All of this from my humble post about SAR flying... ;D

Flying Pig

I have learned the title of the post has nothing to do with the discussions that occur  >:D

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Flying Pig on August 11, 2014, 12:52:46 PM
I have learned the title of the post has nothing to do with the discussions that occur  >:D

:clap:

JeffDG

Quote from: Brit_in_CAP on August 11, 2014, 12:48:02 PM
Nice summary!  The Lords, as it happens, are headed towards being principally an elected chamber (80%).

Was not aware of that.  I knew they'd removed the hereditary Lords, and left only the life peers as members.

The Canadian Senate is doomed to remain an appointed body...although they do get booted out at age 75 now.

ZigZag911

Booted out at 75???

Now there's an idea for the U.S. Congress!!!!

SARDOC

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on August 11, 2014, 11:23:37 AM

I think they picked up on that.  That's why they abbreviate the Air Guard as DEANG and the Army Guard as ARNGDE

Luis R. Ramos

I lived in Dover, Delaware and never realized that. Anyway, it was like Ground Operations Director was changed to Ground Operations Branch Director since people were always joking with the Ground Operations Director... is GOD!
Squadron Safety Officer

Garibaldi

Quote from: SARDOC on August 11, 2014, 10:28:22 PM
Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on August 11, 2014, 11:23:37 AM

I think they picked up on that.  That's why they abbreviate the Air Guard as DEANG and the Army Guard as ARNGDE

Washington/Wisconsin Army National Guard (redacted)

Georgia Army National Guard (GANG)

Oregon Army National Guard (ORANG(E))

Florida Army National Guard (FLANG(E))

Hawaii National Guard (HING(E))

*snicker*  >:D
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Luis R. Ramos

Hey another one I forgot! I grew up in Puerto Rico.

Puerto Rico Air National Guard=PRANG
Squadron Safety Officer