CAP pilot questions

Started by hogfan, March 28, 2011, 06:00:23 AM

hogfan

Hi, I am very impressed with this website and I'm certain that I will use it over and over again.  Thanks in advance for your replies.

I am a new senior member in a new cadet squadron in Nacogdoches, Texas.  So for I am impressed with CAP.  My goal is to invest in the lives of local youth and thus far it has been a joy to do so.  I am also a private pilot with 57 hrs PIC, 55 hrs XC (>50 nm), and 94 hrs TT (dual and PIC).  I am seriously thinking about becoming a pilot in the CAP.  I would be driving about 60 miles to the nearest squadron with an airplane.

I have a few questions:

1.  Would I be able to be an active member in the cadet squadron that I'm currently in, but still be a pilot in another composite squadron elsewhere?  I didn't know if this was within CAP regs.

2.  With my low flight time, it seems that my only option presently is to become a normal CAP pilot, is this correct? 

3.  Can I use a CAP aircraft to build time toward becoming a transport pilot and then on to a mission pilot?

4.  During my time spent "building time" in the CAP aircraft (i.e. not flying missions), are there any costs that I would incur, such as rental fees, gas fees, etc, while using the CAP aircraft?  If so, what are the typical rental fees on CAP aircraft?

5.  If I want to pursue my instrument rating in a CAP aircraft, would I just pay for the instruction?

I'm sure there are other questions that I don't even know to ask at this point!  So any information that you can provide is appreciated. 

Thanks, Ryan

hogfan

Okay, did additional research and it is obvious that there are rental fees associated with the CAP aircraft.  What are the typical fees?  Also, I was told that since I was a captain on active duty, I would most likely be able to assume this rank as a CAP senior member....is this correct?

Respectfully,
Ryan

FW

The "dry" rental rates are found in CAPR 173-3.   C172 fee is $29.00/hr plus fuel
C182 is $37.00 and, C206 is $48.00. 

Before you can fly a CAP aircraft, you must get checked out in the model you wish to fly, and have a CAPF 5 Check ride with a CAP Check Pilot.  Requirements are found in CAPR 60-1.  You need to be familiar with local procedures in Flight release and all facets of the rules of CAP flying and administrative procedures.  There is also some "ground school" you can find on line as well as a written test; also online.  Find a CAP instructor pilot to guide you through the system.  There is no charge for the instructor however, there may be "libations" involved.... >:D

JeffDG

With those hours, you'll be able to take a Form 5 in a C-172.

In 6 more hours, presuming you get your high-performance endorsement, you can do the 182 (100 h TT).

Once you receive 100 PIC, you'll become a Transport Mission Pilot (TMP), and you can fly ferry flights and high-bird communications relay on missions and exercises.

hogfan

Wow, thanks for the replies, that sounds awesome.

Shotgun

A good resource would be to read CAPR 60-1 - CAP Flight Management.

It is the primary regulation which governs all flight operations in CAP.

(You'll have to read it and take a test as part of your Form 5 check ride).

Update:  Just noticed FW gave the same basic reply!  Sorry for being saying the same thing twice. I've been working in the Department of Redundancy Department way to long!

DG

Quote from: FW on March 28, 2011, 11:14:21 AM
There is no charge for the instructor however, there may be "libations" involved.... >:D

Always in favor of libations.

JeffDG

Quote from: DG on March 28, 2011, 07:48:59 PM
There is no charge for the instructor however, there may be "libations" involved.... >:D

Peferably after the flight.   >:D

a2capt

Also, you would not be a "pilot in that other unit", you are only in one unit. You'd be pursuing your CAP wings with the help of that  other unit.  But your pilot file is at your home unit. If there are no other pilots in that unit, and you become one, your unit will become a "flying unit", because you are an "active" (read: current) pilot.

JeffDG

Quote from: a2capt on March 28, 2011, 10:36:35 PM
Also, you would not be a "pilot in that other unit", you are only in one unit. You'd be pursuing your CAP wings with the help of that  other unit.  But your pilot file is at your home unit. If there are no other pilots in that unit, and you become one, your unit will become a "flying unit", because you are an "active" (read: current) pilot.
Bingo...the planes belong to the wing, not the squadron...

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Quote from: hogfan on March 28, 2011, 06:35:00 AM
Okay, did additional research and it is obvious that there are rental fees associated with the CAP aircraft.  What are the typical fees?  Also, I was told that since I was a captain on active duty, I would most likely be able to assume this rank as a CAP senior member....is this correct?

Respectfully,
Ryan

Hi Ryan, our website might help you with the actual process... Note that there may be slight differences with your wing.

For CAP Pilot:
http://www.squadron188.org/home/new-member-guide/cap-pilot-guide

For Mission Pilot
http://www.squadron188.org/home/new-member-guide/mission-pilot-guide

Thrashed

1. Yes. A CAP pilot can fly CAP planes from anywhere.  I drive one hour each way to two different squadrons to fly.
2. Take a check ride in the CAP plane and you'll be a CAP VFR Pilot. 100TT can get you into the high performance, 100TT + 10PIC complex, will get you into the complex aircraft (if you can find one). 200 PIC will get you in as an orientation pilot. etc. Of course, you need a checkride in all of these. G1000 is extra training, tow pilot has extra training, etc.
3. Yes.
4. Yes. My Wing (state) prints wet rates: C172: $72/hr, C182: $104/hr, Maule: $91/hr, etc
5. No. (simple answer).  You cannot use the CAP aircraft for flight training unless you are a current Mission Pilot.  (You can with the Wing Commander's approval, see CAPR60-1)

Good luck.

Save the triangle thingy

JeffDG

Quote from: Thrash on March 30, 2011, 12:32:47 AM
2. Take a check ride in the CAP plane and you'll be a CAP VFR Pilot. 100TT can get you into the high performance, 100TT + 10PIC complex, will get you into the complex aircraft (if you can find one). 200 PIC will get you in as an orientation pilot. etc. Of course, you need a checkride in all of these. G1000 is extra training, tow pilot has extra training, etc.
A correction, Complex requires 100 PIC, not 100 TT, 10 of which must be in Complex, and 25 TO/Landings in complex:

60-1, 3-6(a)(2) Complex Airplanes – 100 hours total PIC time of which at least 10 hours PIC and 25 take-offs and landings are in complex airplanes.

DG

Quote from: JeffDG on March 28, 2011, 08:37:05 PM
Quote from: DG on March 28, 2011, 07:48:59 PM

Peferably after the flight.   >:D

Never within 100 feet of the aircraft.

And no smoking for 8 hours before.

Or did I mix that up?

Mustang

Quote from: hogfan on March 28, 2011, 06:35:00 AM
Also, I was told that since I was a captain on active duty, I would most likely be able to assume this rank as a CAP senior member....is this correct?

Correct. You'll simply need to attach proof of your former rank to the promotion request, (CAP Form 2).
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

hogfan

All, thanks for the information - very helpful.  Haven't decided as to whether I will pursue the pilot side of CAP - I'm having a lot of fun presently just teaching and helping the cadets.  We got a great bunch of young folks.

Mustang,

On the rank thing.  None of the other senior members (all two of them) seem to agree with assuming one's previous active duty rank.  I'm assuming it is in a reg, but I can't seem to find it.  Also, I assume that it's just a waiver from the time in grade restriction and that I'd still have to complete technician rating and the level II requirements to assume Captain, correct? 

It may be more trouble than it's worth and honestly, I really don't want to be "that guy" that back-doored his way into getting promoted.  Some folks might look down on it...and it's not like I'd get a bigger paycheck...

Thanks,
Ryan

EMT-83

Check CAPR 35-5, paragraph 3-4 for details.

Note the section that reads, "Such promotions are neither automatic nor mandatory, but are at the discretion of the promoting authority..."

Other than Level 1, Professional Development is not required for the initial appointment. This is not a "back door" promotion, and is pretty common.

Eclipse

Quote from: hogfan on April 27, 2011, 03:48:43 AMNone of the other senior members (all two of them) seem to agree with assuming one's previous active duty rank.

They need to get over themselves.

If you're new-new to CAP, you might want to wait until you get Level 1 done, but there's nothing wrong with requesting commensurate grade from another service.

"That Others May Zoom"

hogfan

EMT, thanks for the reg reference, I'll take a look at them.

Eclipse, I don't think that the other senior members meant anything bad by it, they told me they knew of an Air Force Lt Col that was a major in CAP...I guess they weren't up on the regs.

Anyway, thanks all, you've all been very helpful. 

SarDragon

I know of an AF colonel in Florida who is a CAP SM.

Senior member grade in CAP is largely the member's choice, depending on how much effort they want to put forth, or how far they want to pursue potential promotions.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret