Brand new, NTC-approved, inexpensive handheld radios!

Started by JoeTomasone, April 01, 2013, 02:05:25 PM

a2capt

You typically end up having to do it yourself, against a channel plan .. that you may have to wince, scream, plea, and prod for..  depending on the level of "seriousness" your Wing comm people take their positions..

If the software can do an import from a csv file, it's typically a lot easier to use Excel to do the layout.

But asking here, you may find someone else with the same radio and something more to start with.

Panache

Quote from: Eclipse on April 18, 2014, 05:21:48 AM
Your unit or wing DC.

I am the Unit DC, so I'll contact Wing and hope for the best...

Panache

Quote from: a2capt on April 18, 2014, 05:23:16 AM
If the software can do an import from a csv file, it's typically a lot easier to use Excel to do the layout.

I'll end up using the CPS version 5.03 software package, and I'm not really sure of it's capabilities yet.

Slim

Quote from: Panache on April 18, 2014, 05:25:40 AM
Quote from: a2capt on April 18, 2014, 05:23:16 AM

I'll end up using the CPS version 5.03 software package, and I'm not really sure of it's capabilities yet.

If you'd like, I can send you a generic code plug file that you can load into CPS and start playing around with to learn the software and it's capabilities.  Note that the file I'll send is the original one that came with my radio*; it will only have a few channels, and none of them will be CAP.  PM me with your email address.

Also, which version did you get?  They came in three different flavors; model I had 48 channels in 3 zones (selected using the ABC switch), model II had 255 channels and a partial (6 button) keypad, while the model III had 255 channels and a full keypad.  The reason I ask is that you can't program the same channel (called a personality) to do analog and digital, and the model I probably won't have enough channels to do what you'd need.  You can program them to receive in mixed mode, but will only transmit analog or digital.  So, you'll need to program two different personalities for both.  Mine is set up like the EFJ corporate radios; all analog in one bank, and digital in another.

*-Before you do anything else, read the codeplug in the radio, save it, and guard it with your life.  If something happens, you'll need a good codeplug to reload into the radio to get it going again. 

Slim

Brad

I set mine up the same as Slim. I have analog simplex Zone 1, then digital simplex Zone 16, then Wing analog in another, and Wing digital in a fourth zone. After that it's weather, ham, and other agencies.

I've heard some things about virtual XP mode not wanting to work. You can do what I did and use the Windows 7 disk manager to repartition about 5GB from your hard-drive, then install an actual 32-bit XP install on it. Then there's a bootloader you can install over the XP bootloader that will allow you to be given an OS choice of Windows 7 or XP again instead of it defaulting into XP after you install it, which would otherwise lock you out of Windows 7.

Even with 32-bit XP, I ended up having to order a serial PCI card with com ports for $5 off ebay, plus a RIB (Radio Interface Box) and straight cable to get the radio to read and write. The RIB-less USB interface method would not work. Bit pricy, but worth it doing it right.

Mine is a model III with full keypad :D

Also, I found that a codeplug file that someone sends you is serialized for that specific radio, so you have to do a few extra steps to get that same codeplug set up for your radio's serial number. Just involves dumping certain parts of the codeplug to an excel file then re-importing it under a new serial number.

If you need help with programming, let me know and I will help as best I can. If push comes to shove, send me the radio and I'll program it for you.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Slim

Quote from: Brad on June 07, 1974, 12:19:51 AM
Also, I found that a codeplug file that someone sends you is serialized for that specific radio, so you have to do a few extra steps to get that same codeplug set up for your radio's serial number. Just involves dumping certain parts of the codeplug to an excel file then re-importing it under a new serial number.

I guess I should have mentioned that, too.  But, with something to start getting used to the quirks and specifics of CPS, any codeplug will work.  I went into it with a pretty good understanding of how Moto CPS works, having used other versions for other radios; someone coming in with zero experience might be a little intimidated.

Quote from: Brad
If you need help with programming, let me know and I will help as best I can. If push comes to shove, send me the radio and I'll program it for you.

Same here.  If you have any questions or problems, speak up.

Same here

Slim

umpirecali

I read through several pages of the thread.  I am a MO and for the last two year have been doing aircrew stuff, but will start out GTM training this winter.  I have ICUT but am otherwise a radio newb.  I wanted to pick up an inexpensive but functional radio that will work in SARs.  I am in Virginia and many of the ground missions are in the mountains.  I have seen people talk about the XTS3000.   Is that a good beginner radio that will meet my needs or should I look at others?
Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander for Cadets

Eclipse

Talk to your Wing's DC and /or snag something on eBay.

$100 gets you all you need.

"That Others May Zoom"

umpirecali

Quote from: Eclipse on October 23, 2014, 08:56:14 PM

Something? I don't know a good radio from a toy GI Joe kung-fu grip walkie talkie.  I need some guidance of what to look for on ebay.  I barely grasp the difference between HF and VHF, so some brands or models would be helpful.
Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander for Cadets

JeffDG

Quote from: umpirecali on October 24, 2014, 12:59:03 AM

Something? I don't know a good radio from a toy GI Joe kung-fu grip walkie talkie.  I need some guidance of what to look for on ebay.  I barely grasp the difference between HF and VHF, so some brands or models would be helpful.
https://comm.capnhq.gov/equipment/equipment.cfm

lordmonar

That's why he told you to talk to your wing DC.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

arajca

Besides the XTS3000, you can find a number of EF Johnson 5100 series handhelds on E-Bay. These are the same models CAP uses, so getting them programmed SHOULD be a simple matter of getting with your wing DC or someone they have set up for CAP radio programming. Fortunately, the Motorola accessories (batteries, shoulder mics, chargers, etc) for the XTS3000/5000 also fit the EF Johnson 5100 series.

Eclipse

+1 to all 3 above and sorry on too little detail.

I've never met a Wing DC, or a serious Comm guy for that matter, who didn't have either a source or a stash
of cheap, compliant radios.

The EFJ's HTs CAP uses may go for $1800 retail (thus the nickname The Mortgage Payment if you lose one),
but I've seen them going for under $300, sometimes even less on the secondary market.

The ubiquitous HT1000 is still more then serviceable for the bulk of CAP use, and those are easy to find under $100
(at least last time I looked).  The Motorola Visar is a nice choice, and there's a number of others.

On the other side you can spend essentially "all the money" on a radio because you want to use it for more then
CAP, or so that it supports digital and encryption, etc., the latter being two technologies that CAP has been threatening
for a decade and still hasn't executed on.  You'll find the majority of CAP ops running on the same
3-4 simplex frequencies they always have.

My suggestion would be to get the most inexpensive radio that will suit the need as a start, and then if you find something
you want or have to do that it won't support, move up from there.

For a basic GTM handheld, $100 should get you something suitable.

I've had an EFJ5100 for a number of years, and also a Visar.  I always loan the EFJ and use the Visar.
The EFJs are big, heavy, and the batteries are flaky and expensive, however they do work pretty
well and have the majority of next-gen features CAP purport to need in the future, so if you want one,
there's a bunch on eBay as we speak.

"That Others May Zoom"

Slim

I'm a very happy XTS3000 owner, and have several other Motorolas as well.

The biggest downfall to buying Motorola isn't finding a radio, it's getting one programmed.  The software is flaky, hard to come by, and some of it only works with older, legacy operating systems (I maintain WinXP and Win95 computers so I can program mine).  Then you need to find the proper programming cable.  Everything is out there, but then there is the learning curve of how to use it.  If you know someone in your wing who is familiar with using Motorola software, that would be your best bet.

The other downside to Motorola is that most of what's out there and affordable is no longer supported by Motorola; even the XTS2500/XTS5000 are going to be NLS as of next month.  This means that repairs are going to get harder, and won't be available at a Motorola shop.  Accessories will still be available for a long time, but it's pretty much junk if you break it.

Having said all that, there are several economical (>$300) Motorola options out there that should suit most needs.

• The HT1000 and Visar are good options, but are limited to 16 channels.  Would be good for simplex channels, but not many repeaters.

• The MT/MTS2000 are very plentiful, and are available in 48 and 160 channel options, with or without front keypads (which really don't serve a purpose for us anyway).

• XTS3000 is available in a 48 channel option without keypad, and 255 channel models with limited or full keypads.
Realistically, 48 channels should be more than enough for most CAP applications.

• The Astro Saber is also available in a 16 channel/255 channel with limited keypad.
The XTS3000 and Astro Saber are programmed using the same software, but different cables.  As long as they have the proper flash code in them, they are also P25 capable.

For someone starting out, I'd recommend the 48 channel (model I) XTS3000.  It should have more than enough capability to do what you need for CAP

Slim

tonyairplane

Slightly off topic, but hopefully interesting.  I wrote to Icom asking them if they would do a production run of ISRs, we had several emails back and forth, they finally said no.

So we have a system that allows us to use a radio resource that is no longer in production, which is too bad.

Yes, my Wing has them and they offered them up whenever we want.  We just have to drive two hours each way, and sign them out.

Elmer

Fed-Ex would be cheaper than driving 8 hours.  Also, have you asked the wing DC if they can issue some to your unit so they are always available to you?

brent.teal

In PA we have comm kits containing, issued to units, that contain 10 or so ISR's.  They are in a aluminum tool case with foam padding and cut outs.  I'm not sure if thats a pa thing or more broadly implemented.

Brent Teal, Captain. CAP
NER-PA-102 Deputy Commander, Communications officer, or whatever else needs doing.

Garibaldi

Quote from: brent.teal on November 25, 2014, 03:33:09 PM
In PA we have comm kits containing, issued to units, that contain 10 or so ISR's.  They are in a aluminum tool case with foam padding and cut outs.  I'm not sure if thats a pa thing or more broadly implemented.

It's not unusual or unique.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

We have those, too.

It appears to me that situations like this tend to reveal where the weak points and problems are in CAP Comms.

At least anecdotally, the most complaints tend to come from wings that squirrel away their comm gear and
make it difficult to get licensed / programmed / issued equipment because "you might lose it" or "use it" or
the "then I'd only have two" mentality.

My wing has been swimming in radios since forever, though full disclosure getting one hasn't always been
straightforward.  But since at least 2005, there's been a concerted effort to issue everything the wing gets,
repair it, replace it, and not hold inquisitions when stuff is lost or damaged in the normal course of use.

People who have issued equipment don't generally complain they can't spend their own money.

My wing uses radio deployment kits, and has a stash of radios at various places for large activities,
but for the most part has the gear in people hands.

Having a pile of stuff sitting in wing HQ should be considered FWA.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on November 25, 2014, 03:55:52 PM
Having a pile of stuff sitting in wing HQ should be considered FWA.

When I was the Wing/DC a year ago, there was a significant push to eliminate "stockpiles".

We were told that anything beyond 3%-5% was not acceptable...so if you had a hundred radios, you could hang onto 3 or so for quick spares in the event something died, which is not too bad.

The new Communications Table of Allowances also changed a lot of things.  We were at about 1/2 our authorized HF capability, and that was certainly a weak area.  We were over our "mission essential" requirements for mobiles, and low on handhelds.

I thought the ToA was very well thought through...but I managed to escape the job before finishing implementation.